• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Carb vs EFI.......steet car / road course version

tonybolton

Bypass Crawler
My brain is telling me I should ditch the carb route and pursue a modern EFI system that I see offered by MSD / HOLLEY / FAST....etc etc..etc. However, when looking at total cost involved my wallet is saying, "Hey, maybe just a better carb setup would work!"

The motor in question is a 440 Chrysler bored to 505. The current setup is two Edelbrock 500's. In my opinion....it runs horrible for what it is, however this is the way my Dad wanted it so thats what he did. It does LOOK good, but i'm not that concerned as I prefer performance over looks. The carbs were semi-worked many years ago and from what I remember they just couldn't get the progressive feature of the duals to work so they were just linked together.

In my driving experiences, this causes the car to fall on its face if you mash the gas from an idle or low-ish RPM. Then after it falls on its face it throws you back in the seat till redline. Part throttle tip in is no picnic either. It's very finicky.

My plans are to run a few road courses, dragstrip passes and local autocrosses just for shits and giggles but mainly just get in, crank it, and drive it.

So, what i'm asking is....can GREAT driveability be achieved by going to a more conventional single carb setup? I know it won't crank up/be as efficient as EFI, but if I can get pretty close to EFI driveability I think i'll be happy. I'm also concerned with fuel bowl slosh when encounter quick or sustained corners under throttle. I imagine this issue has been tackled before, but i'm completely ignorant on all things carb, and for that matter, aftermarket EFI.

I'm not against paying for someone elses labor/knowledge on this. I'm a nut/bolt guy and I can handle that part. I'll eventually put a complete suspension under the car but would like to resolve the motor issues first and go from there.

Thanks for any help or advice pointing me in the right direction.

Not sure on the duel set up but there are a lot of dirt track guys around these parts that seem to make carbs work while going in circles. Might be a good place to start looking. Some of them old guys could prob just look at and make it run better. Some of those guys really know there **** after racing all there life.

Re:

Depending on the carbs and how good they are still, a linkage upgrade might get you in the ballpark. There has been some nice progressive setups come out in the last few years. I think a progressive dual 4 or 3 deuce setup will work much better than a single 1000 cfm carb.

But a good efi won't need 1000 cfm or it'll make more power with one, depending on the motor.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I have never owned an Edelbrok carb that was worth having...

That said, I have about $900 in my 750 dbbl on my Camaro. An adjustable fuel pressure regulator is a must have also.

My Dad could really make your car if you were closer to us that is almost all he does now that the Main street car shows have become popular. If you are set on a dual setup go with Holly but I bet you would it would be more driveable with one good Holley like a 850 that is tuned and jetted right, my dad run a 355 with a 350cfm carb on his circle track carb for many years and turned out decent HP # I would stick to the carb for the price and if tuned right it will work great

Pock said:
Just do an LS swap. Isn't that what all you chevy guys do anyway :dunno: :flipoff1:

I don't need to have THAT much horsepower! ! ;)

If anyone knows or could recommend a quality shop close to the knoxville tn area I'd appreciate it.

Tony, if you are going to drive and enjoy the car, you want to go with fuel injection. period. You don't want to have to **** with finicky ass carbs all the time. If you wanted to work on it all the time, youd trade it in on a Harley. I did the LS swap on my old GTO and don't regret a second of it. Im not saying LS swap it because I don't believe in cross breeding, Anything. I do believe a good intake and bolt on adaptable EFI would serve you well. There is a reason that carbs are a thing of the past ya know. thumb.gif

Re: Re: Carb vs EFI.......steet car / road course version

pholmann said:
FAST fuel injection!!
This I'm fortunate to have not grown up in a era of carbs except for a FJ40. My friends set them on their dirt track cars, or have mechanic's with the skills do it, I have seen some carb action from hill killers to cars on hydraulics it can work. Patrick has already posted it up go with EFI I know Holley seems to run a lot of adds in Car Craft and Hot Rod for these. Carbs can be easily tuned if you know what your doing but those guys are a dying breed sadly, get a aftermarket EFI and you can tune it on the go with a laptop or smart phone I imagine by now.

Having that much engine you need EFI you can save a few miles to the gallon, not work on it all the time, and have power as soon as you touch the pedal.....

What's not to like about that?

Just out of curiosity what's this 505 going in?
matth_85 said:
Ford guys too...
Fawk you!:mad:

70 cuda has always been dream car i have made 2 plastic models when i was younger what color is it