• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

cb radios

Dain Bramage

so, i want a cb radio for my truck for christmas, but i dont know anything about them. i only know of 2 companies that make them, bear and cobra, but i think theirs are pretty expensive. there is one at napa that i looked at, but i doubt the quality is very good on those. if you have one, what kind is it? how well do you like it? a trucker i know on streetfire.net recommended the cobra model 29 or model 25.

My girlfriend and I both have Midland brands, and they work fine. Nice size too. Mine is slightly older than hers, but theyre only like $40 at GI Joes. Mine is basically the exact same, but without the RF knob (just squelch). I was thinking about getting a newer one like hers, but its not very high priority since mine works fine as it is. Dont forget you need an antenna and mount and antenna wire also, so figure that into the cost also.

You dont need anything super uber fancy IMO since most of the time people use them, theyre going to be fairly close together. You should at least tune the antenna with an SWR meter though.

~T.J.

EDIT: Looked on GI Joe's website and they dont list them, but I just bought one there not too long ago. They didnt have a display set up either, I had to ask for them since they keep them behind the automotive counter. They had plenty on the shelf back there though.

RE-EDIT: Found them on the Midland website. They say $44.95, but I bought them for 39.99. Check the local GI Joe's, the should have them. Heres a link:
http://www.midlandradio.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4334

1001Z%20large.jpg

Last edited:
tune the antenna? SWR meter? lol, right over my head. i thought you just got the radio, antenna, and it was plug and play from there. whatever. i guess i will figure it out.

as for the radio, you think pretty much anything will work, right?

Cobra is the best and second is Uniden, although Uniden is pretty much a cobra in a different package. Whatever you get don't get a cheap one, you always get what you pay for. Get the Cobra 25 or 29 LTD, You can tune them up and add little things to them once you get to understand them, and they start around $100.

I was all for Cobra and crap when I was thinking about getting one, but then I looked at the prices and thought about what I was going to be using it for. I'm not out trying to talk to people miles away, nor operate a rescue mission or anything like that. Its simply just communication between my truck and my friends trucks. I didn't need to spend that much money on that.

Ultimately it all depends on how into it you want to get. But like I said, I'm talking to people who are usually in the same campground as me, or about a vehicle away, so thats all I need out of it. If I needed something else with more range, I might get a nicer unit or something, but mine has always worked as well as I want it to, and then some. Hell, I can sit in my driveway and talk to my girlfriend when she runs to the store with ours. Granted, the store is only a few blocks away, but thats more distance than I ever thought I would use them at. I also know I can sit in the main parking area in Reiter and talk to people up on the Isabel trail.

The SWR meter is a meter that you connect inline between the radio and the antenna and you use it to match the antenna to the radio.

~T.J.

Last edited:
I've never used a midland, I have had several Cobra's (29 ltds) and Uniden's (PC122) through the years, but I recently got a cheap uniden (510xl) because it was cheap, and it talks and sounds like crap, I only paid around $40 for it, but I need to replace it and I only wish that I would have got one that was a little higher quality.

FordFrk06 said:
tune the antenna? SWR meter? lol, right over my head. i thought you just got the radio, antenna, and it was plug and play from there.
Nope! But luckily it's not that big of a deal. An SWR meter can be had at Radio Shack for under $50 (IIRC), or borrowed for free, and all the info is on google. Not hard at all.

sounds pretty basic. anyone on here got an SWR meter? is that Short Wave Radio?

i think i am leaning towards the cobra 25.

I have a Midland & a Uniden, both have been great radios. I have an extra SWR meter if you need to borrow it or just bring the truck over after you install the radio & I will help you tune the antenna.

I personally like the Uniden 520 (same as 510 but with RF gain). It's not the best radio around but will talk OK. If you buy it from a CB shop, ask them to "tune" if for you. A tune will make sure it's putting 4+ watts out and the modulation is 100%, or at least what the radio will take. The RF gain is also nice for turning down and not hearing all the noise. I usually run the RF about 1/2 running down while highway traveling, can still hear the trucks but not the noise, this will also work in the mountains.

The 510/520 also have a front face mic. plug making it easier to mount inside a dash, just run an external speaker.

Not sure what kind of antenna you’re looking for but I've also had good luck with mag mount little wils., it's also short and not a whipping hazard.

This isn't BIG DOG equipment but for about $100 it will work very nicely for trail work or caravanning down the highway. I've found the BIG DOG radio aren't worth it unless you want toys or get serious. If you get serious step up to a ham license.

i use the cheapest radioshack cb there is and a real good firestick adjustable antennae tuned with an SWR meter. it works as good as real expensive cbs and better than most because of the tuned antennae.

IMHO any cb will not last in an open truck enviornment with the moisture and mostly dusty conditions. if you have a cab then maybe a better quality might last longer.

the first two unidens lasted about a year and a half apiece. the radioshack has lasted about 5 years and this one is going on year 6.

where ever you buy your stuff from should offer to tune the antennae for you free.

Edit: what ever you do do not get a long steel WHIP antennae as they are very dangerous on the trail. you could put someones eye out with one of those. i also saw a guy break someone elses windshield with his whip.

Last edited:
yea, i wasnt thinking about a whip antenna. i like them and all, but i dont think i woudl want one on a trail rig. i was thinking it would be more likely to get kinkes/bent. i was gonna get one of those thick black 4' antennas. and it isnt an open cab. maybe eventually. my plan is to keep this truck for a long time, eventually turning it into a trail only rig.

Last edited:
might want to think about where to mount your radio, and how big of a radio you want, the cobra 25 and 29 are a large radios and fitting them in a toy can be interesting if you have passengers with you . i have a cobra 25 ltd , a cobra 19 xl, a cobra 25lt and a midland. the cobra 25 and 29 measure about 8" wide and 10" deep and the cobra 19 and midland are about 5"x 8". I've got the 4' firestixs on three radios and a mag mount little wil on the last, the bigger radios have been supertuned and put out about 20 watts where a standard radio only puts out 5 watts.

Ive got a cobra 29 LTD. with a firestick antenna works great. I have a Toyota so not a lot of room in the dash area so I put mine on the rear wall of the cab just below the window. Seems to be a good spot that doesn't take up to much room.

i was gonna mount it under my stereo. i have a little cubby under the head unit that mounts to a bracket with the head unit. you toy guys probably know what i am talking about. sounds like if i dont want to do any trimming the cobra 19/midland is for me.

if you mount it in that cubby , make sure to get one where the mic exits the unit in the front and you might want to think about an exteral speaker.

get a good antenna,, and go to GI JOES and pick up a CB, whatever brand for about 40 bucks. it is better to have a good antenna and a cheap radio, then a good radio and a cheap antenna. SWR's are the standing waves and you tune them by lowering or raising the tip of the antenna.:hi: