• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Chains/binders or Ratchet straps/axle loops?

xjtony

Trailer Park Gangsta
I'm considering going to ratchet straps because I'm tired of the chains and binders when trailering my samurai. Obviously the rig doesn't weigh a lot so I'm assuming it would be more than safe to use 4 big ratchet straps and the axle strap thingys. I've always just had chains and ratchet binders from hauling my tractor and other random equipment around. What do y'all use to hold your rigs in place? Interested in y'alls recommendations. Anyone use j hook deals with chains like towing companies do? I figure j hooks would work easily to hook to axles but I've never used em.

I used to use nothing but ratchet straps. I got a enclosed trailer and put all my ratchet straps in it. Now when i use my open trailer I use chains and binders just so I don't have to dig out my straps. I think both work well when used correctly. Properly rated and used correct you will have no issues with either. Chains can be messy to use sometimes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both have their place. I like ratchet straps and axle straps for the Jeep, but if I'm pulling the tractor I like chains just because of how heavy it is and some of the edges aren't super clean on the tractor. Don't skimp on whatever you get though. They will be holding a large investment of yours and lawsuits aren't pretty if something does happen.

lots of discussion here

http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=37375.0

http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=39366.0

I am a big fan of closed ended hooks on the trailer side and axle straps on the rig side

Macs makes a really good kit my bud Jackson has, I will purchase for the bouncer when its closer to being done

I also have the TG brand ones for the toyota , I have had good luck out of them and you can usually get them for around $25/ corner on sale all the time

4 of the ratchet straps with built in axle loops are more than enough for a trail rig. I'm a big fan of making sure you use 4. I cringe when I see one strap across an axle from one side to the other. Yes it'll hold it on the trailer going down the road but I always try and tie things down as if I knew I was going to be in a wreck and didn't want it to come off. You can be the best driver in the world but if some crack head runs a red light and you hit them and the buggy comes off the trailer than they're gonna come after you if they think you didn't tie down well enough. A lawyer will see someone with a trail rig and assume they have a lot of money to take so don't give them chance just to save the money on a couple nice straps and the time it takes to put them on.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Saw these recommended in a thread over on pirate- https://m.ebay.com/itm/2-x9-ratchet-tie-down-axle-strap-CHAIN-AND-GRAB-shackle-clevis-autotransport/170206259182?nav=SEARCH

I like the look of those as I can use the chain end to run through and hook to the stake pockets on the side of my trailer just like i do with the chains currently. I think I'm going to pick two of these up and try them out on just the front axle while still using a chain/binder over/around the rear axle.

tonybolton said:
Damn... Nobody just goes to Walmart anymore and picks up a couple of the yellow jobs?
Well yeah, that's exactly what I have for holding down regular junk like 4wheelers/lawnmowers/loads of metal or wood/etc.

We have been using ratchet straps with axle straps. And after 20 years we just switch out the axle straps to axles hooks like they used on tow trucks. I just go tired of crawling under the jeep and hooking up the axle strap at the end of the day. Now I can just take the hook and reach under the jeep and hook the hook to axle. And we use four ratchet straps. One for each corner and cross them.

I use some like these w ratchets that have short chains around my rub rails

Attachments

• shopping.jpeg
    shopping.jpeg
    9.7 KB · Views: 322
I use big J hooks attactched to chains at work to haul equipment. Something like that attached to a nylon strap would be badass for a wheeler because you could easily hook to your axle without getting under some muddy ass buggy.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I run this style strap with 24 inch axle straps from TSC. I Cut mine down and them just burnt the ends to keep them from fraying. I ended up making them specific length to my rig/trailer so I don't have all the extra to roll up and secure.
if you switch to straps I advise getting the safety hooks. The j-hooks always seemed to come unhooked before I got the strap tight.

https://www.amazon.com/Erickson-58503-Tie-Down-Strap-Closure/dp/B001O4LY88/ref=sr_1_37?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1518294131&sr=1-37&keywords=2+inch+strap

rpf500 said:
I run this style strap with 24 inch axle straps from TSC. I Cut mine down and them just burnt the ends to keep them from fraying. I ended up making them specific length to my rig/trailer so I don't have all the extra to roll up and secure.
if you switch to straps I advise getting the safety hooks. The j-hooks always seemed to come unhooked before I got the strap tight.

https://www.amazon.com/Erickson-58503-Tie-Down-Strap-Closure/dp/B001O4LY88/ref=sr_1_37?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1518294131&sr=1-37&keywords=2+inch+strap

What about those of us who drive fat pigs? ;D Those are only rated for ~6600lbs

Latest posts