• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Chains/binders or Ratchet straps/axle loops?

toreadorranger said:
What about those of us who drive fat pigs? ;D Those are only rated for ~6600lbs

Valid point. To clarify, I just posted the link for reference on the style of strap and hook.

Re: Re: Chains/binders or Ratchet straps/axle loops?

toreadorranger said:
What about those of us who drive fat pigs? ;D Those are only rated for ~6600lbs
How big of a rig ya wheeling?? The WLL of all the straps your using only needs to add up to 50% the weight of what they're tying down so 4 of those would cover 13k lbs. If your rig is that fat please post pics!! :woot: :woot:

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

gottagofast said:
Actually 4 of those would be rated for a 20,000 lb load
Sounds like you're using the cargo capacity and the regulations want you to go off the Working Load Limit.
acdffeea4cd79d73054f08bbbb3d889d.jpg
e43e09bf7c2b165e5661aba5504233cb.jpg

And if you think about it $66 for straps is dirt cheap considering the money people throw down for their rigs in this hobby.

Grade 70 chain and 4 binders...Cause that's what I have. One thing chain/binders have over straps is they don't tear, rip or degrade over time. They are more of a pain to store.
If it ever comes to a point I need to switch, I'll probably go with strap.

That's for commercial vehicles.... fmcsa is not a legal requirement for recreatuonal towing...... that said... I'll conceed that following in is a good practice and that you can never be too safe or too well secured.

onepieceatatime said:
How big of a rig ya wheeling?? The WLL of all the straps your using only needs to add up to 50% the weight of what they're tying down so 4 of those would cover 13k lbs. If your rig is that fat please post pics!! :woot: :woot:

They also need to support 80% of the weight from moving in the forward direction under braking as well. 2 straps on the back end of a rig with WLL of ~3300lbs wont cover that on my rig. Full Bodied 88 F250 IDI diesel. Scaled at 6100lbs with me in bone stock.

gottagofast said:
That's for commercial vehicles.... fmcsa is not a legal requirement for recreatuonal towing...... that said... I'll conceed that following in is a good practice and that you can never be too safe or too well secured.
Not gonna argue this because the way they word regulations it's so hard to get straight that the people who enforce them don't even know what's true. If it is true, then is pretty ****ed up that they think a piece of equipment takes less tie downs strictally because of whether or not you're making money on it.

To haul a jeep commercially requires a $1,000,000 liability policy too.... most states require $30,000 for the rest of us....

Fwiw if anyone doesn't know fmcsa is federal motor carrier safety administration....

I use 4 of these along with 4 straps with 4 straps with snap hooks
https://www.ratchetstraps.com/2-ratchet-strap-short-end-wchain-hook

I run the chain through my rub rail so no worries there. My straps hook to axle loop straps on all 4 corners. I spare of each stays in the toolbox just in case. Blue in color so they match my rig :****:

If I had Tony Bolton money, I'd use Macs. But these are cheaper and very high quality as well

Several years ago I was hauling my truggy, the fat girl 5200lb, and somebody stopped suddenly in front of me. I hit the brakes, rear ended him, back straps broke, fat girl hit the front of the trailer, causing me to hit him again and ripping the parking pawls out of the truggy. Since then, I always use chain on the back, straps in front.

kkoepper said:
Several years ago I was hauling my truggy, the fat girl 5200lb, and somebody stopped suddenly in front of me. I hit the brakes, rear ended him, back straps broke, fat girl hit the front of the trailer, causing me to hit him again and ripping the parking pawls out of the truggy. Since then, I always use chain on the back, straps in front.

Maaaahhhh niikkaahh.... ;)

I have a Macs kit I bought heavily discounted at KOH last year.
Love it until it gets wet/muddy.

I hate nasty straps and will make a point to wash them when they get dirty (like this weekend).

I'm thinking about switching to J-hooks. It's annoying to get under a muddy buggy to put the loop around the axles and get all nasty.