• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Chainsaw use on the trail?

If a bypass has been create around a blowdown you can use what you have cut to block the bypass.

I cut it, split it, and take it back to camp :redneck:

I was told down here at elbe if you cut it in the park you can burn it in the park. But you cant take any home. Big no no, I guess.

I was told down here at elbe if you cut it in the park you can burn it in the park. But you cant take any home. Big no no, I guess.

Nancy actually encouraged us to bring firewood back to the camp and leave it there for the next group. Less likely to burn picnic tables or cut down a tree if they have available firewood.

The rule for the DNR was that we're not supposed to gather firewood from the campground itself.

Cut blow down to clear the trail and prevent bypass. If bypass has already been made and is not to be there then I block it with the piece I cut out. If no bypass has been made then it is now fire wood for camp if I can fit the wood in the rig. I also use the chainsaw to split wood I bring cause I am to damn lazy to split that **** with an axe.:redneck:

Anytime anyone does any trail work on Forest Service Trails,where the 4X4 community and the trail system benifits. The work and the hours should be reported the the Forest Service District where the work was performed. These hours are important instruments when it comes time to apply for trail maint. grants. It's a Great Way to gain FS support for your group!! There are links on this website as to who and where to send such info.

If it's blow down, it should be cut so people don't create bypasses...

You know this...

Lead by example...

Not telling you how to do what you do, but... Just saying...

I don't carry a chain saw :redneck:

But to expand on the subject--if its nasty then it should be removed so bypass's don't start. if its a simple laying on the ground tree--I leave it because typicly when I come to a tree like this---if you can't get over it you should not be on the trail IMO....

....if you can't get over it you should not be on the trail IMO....

Ok.

Scenario: A tree falls, it's now a log. Said log is driven over many weeks/months until the "grippy" bark is chewed off. Now, said log is in place, but slick. So slick that Mr. Samurai driver can not keep the slick log from "pushing" him off the trail. He doesn't have a chain saw, he doesn't even have a winch. So what does Mr Samurai driver do? What everyone else does......hammer on the throttle (pushed off the trail) until traction is gained.

The innocent start of a bypass.:;

And lets take that same idea.....but put a broken Toyota being pulled to safety by a Jeep. Where do you think the path of least resistance will be? Over the slippy log, or around it. Should we all take a guess?:eeek::rolleyes:

And for the record, the most damage I've done on the trails is not when having fun.......it's when I'm broke, being tugged back to camp or vise versa.

"We all stand soooo very high on our soap boxes.....":awesomework:

And lets take that same idea.....but put a broken Toyota being pulled to safety by a Jeep. Where do you think the path of least resistance will be? Over the slippy log, or around it. Should we all take a guess?:eeek::rolleyes:

:

No excuse. Ever. . A pocket knife could be used to whittle cross hatched traction patterns into said log. Even if this takes all night, you must never harm the motherland.:cool:

Attachments

• thumbnailjdsflj.jpg
    thumbnailjdsflj.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 157
I only use my saw to open up the trail to allow my too big toyota through the trail without any body damage. How else am I supposed to wheel in this fawking state? All the good trails are too skinny. :rolleyes:

also, instead of sandbags, i use newborn babies as traction devices. When i get stuck i weave a tow strap out of hooker skin (got some in the trunk) and if i break my rig, mighty putty fixes all.

No excuse. Ever. . A pocket knife could be used to whittle cross hatched traction patterns into said log. Even if this takes all night, you must never harm the motherland.:cool:
You don't need a pocket knife, any real wheeler can chew a traction surface into a log.