• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Chevy Malibu with 2.4L 4 cyl reliability / budget car discussion.

TacomaJD

I LIKE CHEAP STUFF.....
So since the Saturn is totalled, I've been looking at various budget cars to replace it. Initially. I was set on a Camry purely for reliability , but have been giving others a look too.

Factors: I would like to stay at $7k or less, preferably less. Miles up to 100-120k in order to get a nicer newer car on the cheap. Saturn had 185k and was mechanically perfect. I want something with that kind of reliability. I don't care to replace little things here and there, but want rock solid reliability otherwise.

So am I crazy for looking at anything other than a 4 cyl Camry (2007-2011 body style)? Anybody know much about the newer-ish Malibu 2.4L Ecotec reliability? Found this 2010 Malibu LTZ with 112k miles for $6400, which sounds almost too good to be true. Found some other LTZ's with comparable miles all priced over $8k.

https://huntsville.craigslist.org/cto/d/chevy-malibu-ltz-looks/6231935389.html

The LTZ Malibu is much more loaded than the one notch above base trim Camry LE's in same price range, and I like the Malibu's overall appearance as well. Camry is still viable option, just want to discuss further with you guys and hopefully gain some insight here. I would also love to have a Lexus IS250/IS350, but don't think I want anything labeled luxury, as luxury generally means expensive parts/maintenance. They are super sharp cars imo though.

Note: I'm also aware the Accord is really reliable, but they just don't do anything for me, so not really considering them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The ecotec 2.4 is good if the person before kept the oil changed regularly. They are a lot like the ol quad 4s in the old grand ams. Timing chain driven water pumps and all. If the person didn't know what they were doing when the water pump was done and the tension is too tight kaboom.

Re:

That's the kind of info I was looking for and why I posted. My gut still says just buy a cheap Camry and drive the **** out of it.

Re:

Post I found while searching another forum, pretty much sums it up I guess.

"Yes, American cars are less reliable. Its all about the shape of the Bell curve. Yes, some American cars are extremely reliable but the shape of the American car reliability bell curve is not the same as the shape as that of Toyota's."

Re:

I'd rather have a 3.1/3.8 Lumina or Impala myself, but I like bigger cars.

There have been 8-10 luminas and Impalas in my close family that all went 200k+ with no issues,

My 3.1 lumina got 31-32 mpg on the hwy, I commuted 90miles a day in it for a year, plus that's when we were all partying and going to concerts all the time so it made dozens of trips to Nash/Knox loaded with 4-5 people

The Saturn had a 185k miles, and mechanically perfect...... If you must have a Toyota or Honda, stay with a 4cyl. Both brands have problems with there V6 engines. All cars brands have there quirks, but was funny to me personally, being in the car business all my life, and been in just about every car made, the 2 times I have ever been broke down and had to call someone to get me, I was in a Honda, and a Nissan.

Last 2 cars have been Honda Civics. First was a 1997 that I sold to my father in law and he is still driving it. Has around 190k and runs fine. He just drives also, little to no maintenance to it.

Current is a 2012 with 124k and runs great. Gets 32-40 mpg. Keep oil and transmission fluid changed and they are good to go. Transmission is a drain and fill system also so its stupid easy to change which makes it not a dreadful messy task to do.

When time for another I will probably go with Civic again. Prices are reasonable, parts are cheap and easy to find and even the newer ones are relatively simple to do repairs to.

Those new gm 4 cylinders have a bunch of plastic coolant stuff that cracks and leaks. Then to replace it you will need inverted torx.

For price and and reliability check out the "grandma cars". Cant beat the reliability and ride comfort, just not as stylish.

I bought a 07 Kia spectra 5 new in 06. I was driving 130 miles a day for work. My mom drives it now, last I looked it had 266k all I've ever done was oil, breaks, tires. And it gets 35 miles to the gallon.

If the oil has been changed regularly, that will be the nicest car you have ever owned :fish:

It wont amaze you in any single thing, but will do all things well... except accelerate without a lot of noise :****:

The Saturn had an Ecotec in it, basically same drivetrain as the Malibu you are looking at. If you were happy with the Saturn it stands to reason you be even happier with the Malibu, due to the package upgrade, with more bells and whistles. Just try to find a service history and make sure the oil has been changed regularly like everyone said. Ecotec is a damn good engine in my opinion, if maintained.

Ya could be driving a bmw and be helping a fellar out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zjman said:

Damn you beat me too it. And honestly a bmw is a pretty good car. If your ok with a mil or a window that acts funny at times they run forever

Re: Re: Chevy Malibu with 2.4L 4 cyl reliability / budget car discussion.

zukimaster said:
The Saturn had a 185k miles, and mechanically perfect...... If you must have a Toyota or Honda, stay with a 4cyl. Both brands have problems with there V6 engines. All cars brands have there quirks, but was funny to me personally, being in the car business all my life, and been in just about every car made, the 2 times I have ever been broke down and had to call someone to get me, I was in a Honda, and a Nissan.
Haha that's funny. Yeah I read about the v6 issues with the Camrys, it would be the 4 cyl if I went with a camry anyways. Not concerned with power, only fuel mileage and reliability. Also not a Nissan or Honda fan so no worries about me buying one of them lol. It bothered me when the ole lady picked out her Infinity FX35 (nissan product), but it has over 150k miles now and has turned out to be a pretty good unit.
money_pit_yj said:
Miata FTW
Gotta be able to pack it full of luggage and take the family on vacation, Miata is out. Lol. Kinda considering a Corolla too, arguably the most reliable car on the road, but I believe it is about the same size as the Saturn L200 I had was, and I'd like to bump up the room a bit. Small cars are a little aggravating for a one legged 6'1" 225 lb man to get in and out of. Which brings me to the Camry/Malibu.

So regarding Ecotec platform, the 2.2L Ecotec in my Saturn was pretty much same platform as the one in the newer Malibus? The mention of the chain driven water pump, was that the same on my Saturn's engine? It still ran and drove like a brand new one. All I ever had to do mechanically was replace the magnet on the ac compressor. Not a single thing else. I really wanted to drive it til it died to see how long it lasted, but that got cut short.

Re: Re: Chevy Malibu with 2.4L 4 cyl reliability / budget car discussion.

Zjman said:

I'll leave the beamers to Tony Bolton. Lol

https://huntsville.craigslist.org/cto/d/chevy-impala-ss/6228005224.html

already gangsta blacked out for ya :stir:

I'm a cheap mf so I'd buy this:

https://huntsville.craigslist.org/cto/d/chevy-lumina-ltz/6227269973.html

or
https://huntsville.craigslist.org/cto/d/chevy-malibu/6224247253.html

or a sweet ass wagon

https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/d/chevrolet-malibu-maxx-ls/6226542178.html

Yes the Ecotec platform is still the same. Your L200 had a chain driven water pump just like the newer ones. Saturn actually got the ecotecs back in 2000 when the Lseries platform came out. I worked for Saturn back then as a tech. At first I thought they were going to be a overhauled version of the Quad 4, which would have sucked, because they looka lot alike. The ecotec turned out to be a lot more durable though. I've seen a lot of them go high 200s on mileage. You can't go wrong with a 4cyl. Toyota either though.