• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Clampy Wannabe

wentz912

Hey guys yeah this is my 84 SR5 with the 22R, 195k miles young:flipoff: Anyhow I haven't got much done but I hope to get a bunch of stuff done between now and when I leave for basic in June and then even more stuff when I've got some money in hand when I get back. So far all that I have done over stock are: 30" tires(ATs for summer, MTs for winter:redneck: ) A POS:****: front bumper using the stock mounts:cool: And the OD paint of course. So yeah, heres some pics of the buil so far.

When I got it from pop's::flipoff:
resizetruck2.jpg

Bumper:
TruckBumper001.jpg

Paint:
truckwork001.jpg

Got to play with it down in TSF before I broke it:
NicStump.jpg

NicJordanCreek017.jpg

THE PLANS

Before Basic:
-Build Rear Bumper
-Round or square rock sliders, havent decided yet.
-Rebuild or just start over with front bumper.
-Make spare tire/tool/jerry can mount (in bed type)
-Cut my spare doors in half:gunsmilie:
-Bob the bed about 10" if I can swing it with dad, if not I'll just do it after i get back and have the title in my name:rolleyes:

After Basic:
-Crossover Steering (Sky or TG)
-OME 4" springs
-Rancho 9000s
-34" Super swampers
-4.88s F/R
-ARBs front and rear
-Onboard air for tires and lockers.
-Custom Fabric Canopy
-Maybe, JUST maybe, and exo cage.

So yeah, those are my plans as of now. Shouldn't take me too long eh?
Yeah I know, who am I kidding? :mad: Oh and yeah, by the way, if there is anyone pretty local guys that are willing to teach a 17 y.o kid about this stuff or can lend a stick welder or just help out at all it'd be greatly appreciated cuz my old man is out of town on work most of the time and I'm tired of waiting on him to get **** done.

lookin nice, kinda like mine when i first got it.except mines an 85, well the frame cab and front end is atleast. so where is "local" to you?

nice start. so why 34's? you going for active duty or reservist? so those pics tahuya state forest? i'll be in gig harbor and running tahuya, evans creek/ elbe area alot in july and august.

rooinater said:
nice start. so why 34's? you going for active duty or reservist? so those pics tahuya state forest? i'll be in gig harbor and running tahuya, evans creek/ elbe area alot in july and august.

Why 34"s? I wanna be different.:flipoff: As far as the Army Reserve/Active Army bit, I'm doing the reserves as of right now, I'm on the split ops program where i go do my Basic training this summer between my Junior and senior years, then do my AIT after graduation. Plus I get to go drill with my reserve unit up at Ft. Lewis the one weekend a month and get paid for it during my senior year! And lastly, the pics, no they aren't in Tahuya, actually down in Tillamook State Forest. Pretty close to Brown's Camp but not actually there is where the pics were taken. Closest place to me that I know of that has sanctioned 'wheeling trails.

johnboy said:
so where is "local" to you?

Yeah Gold Bar is a little far to be local :haha: I'm actually about 3 hours South down the 5, exit 36 I think we are lol. Thanks for offering for sure :cheer:

that's a good long drive to go one weekend a month... isn't it something like within 50 miles of where you live for your reservist station? they tried getting me to go reserves when i get out of the marine corp... but 5 years active duty is enough.

You might want to think about a full front suspension kit instead of just stock length lift springs. The stock front hanger tends to fall apart with any hard use and usingthe longer springs will give you quite a bit more flex.

Just the .02

Rooinater-I'm not sure what the distance cutoff is, can't be 50 miles though, they WERE gonna send me to seattle as a marine craft operator before we found the mechanic slot at lewis.

Cory-Yeah thanks for the reminder. the LONG LONG range plans do include full widths and rear tube and such but hey..baby steps right?

Mig'd- Yeah no kidding on the cheap part something like $136 a tire for the 34x10.50x15 @ National Tire plus shipping, Plus I can get em mounted and balanced for free at school muahaha.

Grommit-Yeah already been thinking of that, Might go with OME's out back and then a hybrid RUF with a drop hanger. Should work out pretty well I'm thinking.

By the way something that I was thinking about. Has anyone ever converted a toyota suspension to a heep style leaf set up? With the solid spring perch in the rear and the shackle on the front? Soemthing I've been playing around with in my head and it seems to me like a good idea. seeing as how your wheelbase would extend when a front tire was articulated upward instead of shortening it. Am I being e-tarded or does that make sense?

wentz912 said:
By the way something that I was thinking about. Has anyone ever converted a toyota suspension to a heep style leaf set up? With the solid spring perch in the rear and the shackle on the front? Soemthing I've been playing around with in my head and it seems to me like a good idea. seeing as how your wheelbase would extend when a front tire was articulated upward instead of shortening it. Am I being e-tarded or does that make sense?

I would think that would make for an "interesting" steering arrangement with a rear facing pitman arm. It would be hard to get the box forward enough to keep the T/R and D/L from contacting on compression

wentz912 said:

Yes I have seen this done before. personally I have never liked this setup. You end up bending springs too easily. The only advantage to doing this is you don't need a long slip front driveshaft.

crash said:
Yes I have seen this done before. personally I have never liked this setup. You end up bending springs too easily. The only advantage to doing this is you don't need a long slip front driveshaft.

Another disadvantage is in street driving you get a wander out of the front cos the shackles allow the chassis to sway side to side over the axle. Hence the reason that YJ's went to a trackbar and many peeps convert Jeeps to rear shackles.....Links and coils are the only answer....:redneck:

Symon623 said:
Another disadvantage is in street driving you get a wander out of the front cos the shackles allow the chassis to sway side to side over the axle. Hence the reason that YJ's went to a trackbar and many peeps convert Jeeps to rear shackles.....Links and coils are the only answer....:redneck:

Haha I hear ya Symon, just don't have the money, know-how, or axles to do it. Might try to figure out a system with coil overs or air shocks once i get some fullsize axles to toss under the damn thing. :cool:

wentz912 said:
Haha I hear ya Symon, just don't have the money, know-how, or axles to do it. Might try to figure out a system with coil overs or air shocks once i get some fullsize axles to toss under the damn thing. :cool:

You might wanna reread what you just said. If thats the case keep leafs/keep it simple until your knowledge/skill increase or you will end up giving yourselfs headaches and getting into more than you are ready for :;

Unfortunately Crash, as nice as you are, you misunderstood me. The whole idea of going air shocks or coil overs is a LONG ways out. I plan on wheeling the thing for a good long while before I even start looking for full sized axles to do the links. Thanks for your concern though. And I'll get some more know how in while I'm at it too, my buddy and his dad are gonna start buyin junk old 4x4s and building them into crawlers out of their garage to turn them for a profit hopefully. And I know they have the skills. The first crawler they built they had less than $2000 in and were offere amounts >$5000 several times.

You sure have this all worked out in your head!!! I plan on wheelin' the bronco for a while until I get some experience because If you start out wheeling with lockers and gears there is no finesse, it is just point and shoot. But nothin' wrong with that!
Cory,

That's why i'm starting off wheeling it with open diffs and 30s! :redneck: Of course there's nothing wrong with starting with a built rig, but i don't like to shape my learning curve like that so i'm gonna stat small and work up of course.

Hey I was wondering if any of you guys out there had a detailed how-to on cutting half doors, I know there used to be one on PBB but for some reason I can't find it. I know the best way would be to use a cutting wheel for the sheet metal but i don't know much of anything past that. In example, how to re-locate the door latch, etc, etc.

Latest posts