• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Coilover questions

heepsterjeepster

Hey guys, I'm looking for some info on coilovers. I am in the process of building a typical TJ on tons and 43's. I am planning on running a 14" co on the front a regular coils on the rear. My questions are:
1: any brands to avoid?
2: suggestions for spring rates ( jeep is only an eastern crawler, no fast stuff)
3: emulsion or remote res?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Fox or king are the brands I would look into. I would buy Fox, I've got bilstein now but their support and parts availability has gone to crap.

Shock tune with a reputable shock tuner. Some of the best money you will spend.

I'm happy with my swayaway's. When I purchased them in 09, there was less than $200 difference between king, fox, and swayaway.

I would have bought kings for $60 more than swayaway, but were 6 weeks out.

I've been extremely happy with them, broke one shaft when I broke a Johnny joint, it was $55 for new lower seals and new shaft, and easy to fix myself.

I purchased fox air bumps at the same time as the swayaway coilovers, and the finish on the fox's are trash compared to the swayaway.

Why coils in the rear? Clearance? I personally would go either all coils (money saver) or all coilovers, unless there was a problem like clearance or something where one would work better than the other.

TacomaJD said:
Why coils in the rear? Clearance? I personally would go either all coils (money saver) or all coilovers, unless there was a problem like clearance or something where one would work better than the other.

Cost is the only reason. I decided d on c/o on the front for easier packaging. (1990 Ford 60 so it has the shorter drivers side tube).

heepsterjeepster said:
Cost is the only reason. I decided d on c/o on the front for easier packaging. (1990 Ford 60 so it has the shorter drivers side tube).

Don't forget bump stops too! I had rigid bumps on my rig and it sucked balls when they bottomed out if I hit a bump going fast. I figure bump stops would be an easier set up on coils by mounting the long rubber bumps inside the coil at the top? By the time you add in upper shock mounts and a possible cross brace across the engine, bump stops, and bump stop landing pad - it's not really an easier packing. Coil buckets could serve as bump pads if you even need them on your specific setup. Coils would be easier and cheaper, it just seems it's becoming a thing of the past. I would deem packaging not being that much different between the two.

heepsterjeepster said:
Hey guys, I'm looking for some info on coilovers. I am in the process of building a typical TJ on tons and 43's. I am planning on running a 14" co on the front a regular coils on the rear. My questions are:
1: any brands to avoid?
2: suggestions for spring rates ( jeep is only an eastern crawler, no fast stuff)
3: emulsion or remote res?

Thanks in advance for any help.

You need to pm Cullman on here he has an LJ. Same setup you are asking about. I am sure he will answer any questions you have. His climbs like a goat with the sticky sx's

TacomaJD said:
Don't forget bump stops too! I had rigid bumps on my rig and it sucked balls when they bottomed out if I hit a bump going fast. I figure bump stops would be an easier set up on coils by mounting the long rubber bumps inside the coil at the top? By the time you add in upper shock mounts and a possible cross brace across the engine, bump stops, and bump stop landing pad - it's not really an easier packing. Coil buckets could serve as bump pads if you even need them on your specific setup. Coils would be easier and cheaper, it just seems it's becoming a thing of the past. I would deem packaging not being that much different between the two.

I guess I meant packaging on the axle tube. The cost of everything minus bumps will be free, as I have a connection for materials. I used coils on this rig previously with success, but felt like c/o would allow me more tunability.
kmcminn said:
You need to pm Cullman on here he has an LJ. Same setup you are asking about. I am sure he will answer any questions you have. His climbs like a goat with the sticky sx's

Thanks I will try and get in touch with him.

heepsterjeepster said:
I guess I meant packaging on the axle tube. The cost of everything minus bumps will be free, as I have a connection for materials. I used coils on this rig previously with success, but felt like c/o would allow me more tunability.
Thanks I will try and get in touch with him.

Packaging on the axle tube for a lower coilover mount and a bump pad is essentially the same as a lower coil bucket and lower shock absorber mount. An upper coil bucket is a lot less work to fabricate than a reinforced upper coilover mount and cross brace though! But yes, with dual spring rate, you will have more tunability. :dblthumb:

Im running Profender coilovers and like them on my crawler. Will probably get another set once I 3-link the front.

No ORI fans here? Not technically coilovers.

Re:

Won't you defeat some of potential by running c/o on just one end? Front will move better but the rear won't follow the front as easily, which could throw you off your intended line, wouldn't it?

Coil Springs work. Not the most glorious parts yet simple. I had a sammy and a jeep with coils the only thing I didn't like was how they unloaded. But a semi tight limiting strap in the center of the axle will help. Like mentioned above I would stick with King or Fox.

Have you purchased any yet?

Re:

Mortalis5509 said:
Won't you defeat some of potential by running c/o on just one end? Front will move better but the rear won't follow the front as easily, which could throw you off your intended line, wouldn't it?

I hadn't even thought of the possibility of this, but its a good point. Eventually I would like to upgrade the rear to c/o as well when funds allow. Building on a budget throws some wrenches into that at the moment.

TacomaJD said:
Packaging on the axle tube for a lower coilover mount and a bump pad is essentially the same as a lower coil bucket and lower shock absorber mount. An upper coil bucket is a lot less work to fabricate than a reinforced upper coilover mount and cross brace though! But yes, with dual spring rate, you will have more tunability. :dblthumb:

You might be right on the real estate that each set up will require, and maybe that's not a good reason for wanting to use coilovers. But man I really want a set...haha. I also want to make this rig function as well as possible (and within the limits of my budget) so I wouldn't be opposed to coils and shocks.