• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Coilover questions

Re: Re:

Mortalis5509 said:
Won't you defeat some of potential by running c/o on just one end? Front will move better but the rear won't follow the front as easily, which could throw you off your intended line, wouldn't it?
As long as it's linked correctly, it will perform better than the many rigs out there with one end linked and the other end being leaf sprung.
kmcminn said:
Coil Springs work. Not the most glorious parts yet simple. I had a sammy and a jeep with coils the only thing I didn't like was how they unloaded. But a semi tight limiting strap in the center of the axle will help. Like mentioned above I would stick with King or Fox.

Have you purchased any yet?
The key is the shock you pair with the coils! If there is a problem unloading, it isn't the spring, it's the shock (or could be bad link setup). The shock dampens, just as the coilover shock does inside the springs. most people run a cheap generic shitty long travel shock with coils instead of spending the money on a good shock absorber, which is what you will do when you buy a Fox or King c/o. Valving is key here. You wouldn't buy a "valved for all applications" Trailmaster coilover from Advance Auto if they made one would you? Why pair it with a coil spring setup and expect high quality performance?
heepsterjeepster said:
I hadn't even thought of the possibility of this, but its a good point. Eventually I would like to upgrade the rear to c/o as well when funds allow. Building on a budget throws some wrenches into that at the moment.

You might be right on the real estate that each set up will require, and maybe that's not a good reason for wanting to use coilovers. But man I really want a set...haha. I also want to make this rig function as well as possible (and within the limits of my budget) so I wouldn't be opposed to coils and shocks.
Coils mounted farther in closer to the diff will allow for more wheel travel, but will also make the vehicle more tippy in off camber situations. Just have to find the midpoint to where they allow plenty travel to suffice for your wheeling style and yet not sit too far in to make the rig too tippy.

Re:

My advice would be save your money until you can just buy coilovers for all 4 corners if you think you will go to them in the rear one day anyhow. You will be much more happy with it and won't have to modify it and retune everything on down the road when you are ready for coilovers in the rear.