• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

coilover spring rates?

Gittinit

After calling WOD this morning and asking what weights they needed to recommend the correct spring rates for my build I started doing a bit of searching. Corner scales are big money and I'm hoping to get a friend to weigh my buggy but I'm curious. How do you all choose your spring rates?

I did the math on my previous jeep. Basically researched the weights of the components and added it up to get a guesstimated number for each corner. Then bought my springs. My main springs were ok but I had to buy a lighter set of tender springs. I should state that I have done weight and moments for aircraft in the past so I was familiar with the process of determining weight as it relates to distance. However I had to guess too much on some parts for it to be anywhere near as accurate as scales. The new buggy is on ORI so not sure what I am going to do with it. Probably just guess again and play with it after that.

best thing to do is find someone that has a set of springs that way you can set the rig down and calculate by how much the spring compresses to the weight of the spring. That's how I figured out the sprung weight on mine.

Measuring sprung corner weights of the 100% finished rig is the obvious answer. But there are other factors. More shock angle more spring rate. More up travel more preload.