• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Coilover Spring Rates.

kmcminn

I'm not much of a welder but I'm a hell of a grind
Post up your rig specs and what spring rates you run front, rear or both. Also if your rigs suspension was done professionally or if you did it yourself.

Hopefully this will save people some money by not purchasing the wrong springs. I know several factors go into this but this is just a get you close the first time deal.

Thanks.

Go here and study and get a grasp on the workings, worth the effort.

http://www.billavista.com/tech/Articles/Coilover_Bible_Part_1/index.html

Solo Buggy

Front Initial Rate 101.2 and corrected 90.4 installation ratio of .8934 (Springs 250-14 & 170-12 of 14" Fox)
Rear Initial Rate 63.46 and corrected 61.7 installation ratio of .972 (Springs 150-16 & 110-14 on 16" Fox)

According to the calculator, corner sprung weights
LF - 456
RF - 530
LR - 397
RR -409

I just told Jimmy what mine was doing, weighed rig, pulled them off and shipped them to EOR. Now it rides almost as good as them badass ori's.

kmcminn said:
Maybe John will delete post for tech. Sorry.
Let me go a little more in depth. I paid somebody that knows what there doing to make my shocks "right". The internal valving is just as important in a coilover as spring rate when ride quality is concerned. Throwing springs at one 2 or 3 times is a waste of money to me. You might as well by ori's.

Re: Re: Coilover Spring Rates.

BUG-E J said:
Let me go a little more in depth. I paid somebody that knows what there doing to make my shocks "right". The internal valving is just as important in a coilover as spring rate when ride quality is concerned. Throwing springs at one 2 or 3 times is a waste of money to me. You might as well by ori's.
Ha ha ha.....KMCMINN, READ THE ABOVE POST.

Kel Lawrence

Full bodied YJ stock engine, 1tons.
Bilstein 9100 rock crawler remote res front. 16x200 lower. 14x150 upper.
Fox on rear. 16x150 lower. 14x100 upper.
Pac springs. on my rig this equates to 4" up travel front and 6" in rear. 22" belly height

Attachments

• IMAG0050_1.jpg
    IMAG0050_1.jpg
    469.9 KB · Views: 160
BUG-E J said:

So what springs did you end up with?

I think most of your rigs with the common popular drivetrains are going to have something close to 150 over 200 in the front and 100 over 150 in the rear. +/- 50 lbs on any of the springs. If you are out of that range then you are probably "off" or have a special circumstance like a full body/full glass SUV or a super light buggy.

Standard issue southeaster YJ. 5.7, th350,231/300 doubler hp60/14bolt. Weights in at about 4700 lbs.
14" Fox front and rear. 6" uptravel front and rear.
Front springs 120/250 Rear springs 110/175
No sway bars.
The wife says I can't touch the shocks anymore to leave them alone. Rides great and stable for a trail rig.

No secrets here are the shims for compression. I think rebound it a standard Fox #50 or all .010 stack.

BUG-E J said:

Elaborate on your valving.

4800# buggy, half of that is axles and tires. 14" x2" fox coilovers.
front 14" 150 over 16" 200
rear 14" 125 over 16" 150
Gives about 2" spring compression at full extension and 8" uptravel at ride height.
175 psi n2o (don't forget to figure in air shock effect when figuring spring rate needed).
With "soft" springs you will need more compression valving. I will have to look up what the exact compression stack is but it's similar to a #90 stack, #30 stack on rebound (straight .008's).
Also has 2" air bumps.
Rides good as the ori's they replaced.

I have no idea on my valving becasue you start getting into how you want your rig to perform in certain situations and the speeds you want to go. I'm more of a firm man so mine is a little stiff untill you are full speed but it keeps it from bottoming out. The way the shocks are mounted has alot to do with the way the act and so does your suspension geometry. I don't even know my spring rates off the top of my head because I rode my buggy one time. weighed it took some pics and told Jimmy what I wanted. He shipped the shocks back to me and I bolted them on. It still needs some tweaking but I really only have one good ride on them so they are gonna stay like they are till after the Grayrock race. I must say they would be considered perfect by anyone that didn't race though. Its worth a little extra money to get them tuned to me. I will get my rates tonight because my buggy is a pretty common setup and weight though.

16x2.5x150 over 16x2.5x250 front. Same but 100 over 200 rear. 3900 pounds full of fuel and 230 pounds of me. 60, 70, vortec 350, turbo 350, atlas tube buggy.

Latest posts