• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cold vulcanizing from Busted Knuckle Off Road

jeeptj99

I'm doing this from a computer and trying to get Tapatalk to load pics so bear with me please.

Something that 90% of us have had to do, vulcanize a tire. The closest place to me that does it is 1.5 hours away and they close at 5 which means I'd have to take off work, go up there, then take off another day to go get the tire once its been fixed. Well I cut one back at Hale mtn in October, cut the living **** out of it. With the way work has been I didn't have time to be running all over east tn so I was just going to run the spare and deal with it. A buddy showed me the cold vulcanizing compound from busted knuckle's website. I thought hell I'll try it whats the worst that's going to happen. I ordered the smaller container of the compounds, the grinding disk that Burkey used and waited. I watched the video of Burkey doing it and thought hell let's do it. I will try to post the facebook video Burkey did but I'm not 100% sure how. Maybe Matt or someone can do it.

http://www.bustedknuckleoffroad.com/Tire-Cold-Vulcanizing-Compound-600Grams-51F.htm
http://www.bustedknuckleoffroad.com/Carbide-Tire-Cup-Wheel-7-8-arbor-BR66613.htm

you don't need the grinding wheel, but it helps. You could probably use a flap wheel or a rock but it made the job super easy.

First thing is you grind out the hole making a V groove on the exterior of the tire. I took a small die grinder and a cookie wheel and smoothed the inside up some too. This is the part that made me the most nervous but it came out ok.

Next you take the cement compound and spread it on the hole and around the edges on BOTH sides of the tire. Use this a little more liberally than you think, the compound WILL NOT stick where the cement is not. I used an acid brush that comes with most differential set up kits. Q tips didn't hold up\

Next take equal parts of the two compounds and begin to kneed them like dough. This part sucks, this **** is NASTY for about 4-5 minutes, then all at once it starts sticking to itself. Once all the grey/white is gone and you have a completely black ball of rubber you're good to go.

Start from the outside of the tire and begin pushing the rubber through the hole. The part that sticks through on the inside of the tire fan it out on the inside of the tire to sandwich the hole between the compound. Smooth it up with your fingers the best you can and build it up a little more on the outside.

The compound has to set up, the instructions recommend 24 hours at 60 degrees. I snuck mine into the house and asked forgiveness, maybe find a better way, that did not go well.

After its set up it will be a little soft. I took a cookie wheel and smoothed up the edges and cleaned it up since this was my first time doing it and it looked a little rough.

Hopefully this helps someone not have to run all over to get one vulcanized. It's messy but it beats driving all over creation.

e653c5b0290ba5365b8e900407f8eb61.jpg

049aa99ab89eea8ae9c8d817b2d68d57.jpg

Here's the holes. 3 fingers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

e3f881a1130305e6f97b33af77b89473.jpg

a605c2a6ce82db7b66966d645b32c8b7.jpg

The cement you spread around. Make sure to use a little more than you think you need.

af5d9c3536af7616198daa3629ca711d.jpg

This **** is nasty trying to get it to knees

d04720c7ecafe2920cbeed7f1dd4c894.jpg

But eventually it smoothed out and I started filling the hole

38a82b912303439dea9f0b434d889e2c.jpg

Outside
6e092c6e93c1bd615965f33e2952483e.jpg

Inside

I smoothed it up and made it look way better after it set up.

I'll give ya $25 for them tires.

Seriously though, glad it worked out man.

The Luke said:
I'll give ya $25 for them tires.

Seriously though, glad it worked out man.

$25 each? they are about bald and all have been vulcanized ha.

**** work real well. Rode on it at RBD and drug it on a rock or two and seemed to hold up. If it fails i'll re do it now that I kinda know what i'm doing.

Thanks for making the post. This stuff is magic! Though everytime I start kneading the two compounds together I think for a second Oh crap this stuff is never going to come off of my hands, then 4-5 minutes later it magically starts only sticking to itself and comes off your hands. I've fixed a ton of RZR tires with this stuff. I don't even take the tire off the wheel and it still holds up..... :****:

BustedKnucklefilms said:
Thanks for making the post. This stuff is magic! Though everytime I start kneading the two compounds together I think for a second Oh crap this stuff is never going to come off of my hands, then 4-5 minutes later it magically starts only sticking to itself and comes off your hands. I've fixed a ton of RZR tires with this stuff. I don't even take the tire off the wheel and it still holds up..... :****:

Yeah I had a panic moment too. Even had someone else read the instructions to make sure I didn't miss something.

Good to know. I have a brand new krawler in my shop i need to do this to and have had the cod vulcanizing stuff sitting in my kitchen for 2 months... Need to get a spare wheel and put it together.

I read this, "This kit will do multiple large offroad repairs that are normal to see in rock crawling" but in your opinion how many tires would 1 of these kits repair? I know it all depends upon the size of the holes, but just wondering if this is a one use and it's gone kit. :dunno:

ADMINISTRATOR

CHASMAN9 said:
I read this, "This kit will do multiple large offroad repairs that are normal to see in rock crawling" but in your opinion how many tires would 1 of these kits repair? I know it all depends upon the size of the holes, but just wondering if this is a one use and it's gone kit. :dunno:
Gregg,
This is what Matt told me "The small kit should plug around 10 holes at least like the ones in the post, and it has a 2 year shelf life as long as you seal the cans back up each time (they are like paint cans)."

jeff150 said:
Gregg,
This is what Matt told me "The small kit should plug around 10 holes at least like the ones in the post, and it has a 2 year shelf life as long as you seal the cans back up each time (they are like paint cans)."

So it's a "use what you need" type kit? That is awesome and everyone should have one of these in there boxes. What is the curing time before airing up? Does this stuff heat up to actuate like true vulcanizing?

ADMINISTRATOR

CHASMAN9 said:
So it's a "use what you need" type kit? That is awesome and everyone should have one of these in there boxes. What is the curing time before airing up? Does this stuff heat up to actuate like true vulcanizing?

ADMINISTRATOR

I think it says 24 hours at 60 degrees

Latest posts