• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cold vulcanizing from Busted Knuckle Off Road

I called BK a couple days ago and they confirmed they no longer sell it. After trying to find someone willing to vulcanize it and striking out, I bought one of the kits from All Tire Supply. I'll post up pics when I get a chance to start on the repair.

Had to buy the 650g kit because i could not find the 300g kit. cost about $142 shipped +tax. I have a $10 off coupon code that can be used by 2/19 LURG-3JDV-8AVX
Followed BK's video. A couple things I learned along the way, a cheap or old toothbrush will spread the primer just fine. It's about the same consistency of the same blue color locktite. it will drip inside the hole. if thats going to kick your ocd into overdrive, put something down inside the tire to absorb it. A flap disk on a 4inch grinder will work just fine. used a 1/4" tap in a pencil grinder to round the end of the opening. before putting the primer on, lay each tube the length of the cut AND taper. this is about how much product you need. twist like video. I put a zip tie around the twist before cutting to keep the remainder of the product from oozing out. you won't squeeze this stuff out of the sleeve. dont try. just cut the sleeve lengthwise and pull the plastic off it best you can. thankfully i am in SE Houston and it was almost 70° today. in light of some of the bad cold weather related experiences i read about, i put the small heater in the garage for tonight, Already 73° in there, but it's not supposed to drop below 59° tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_4099.jpg
    IMG_4099.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_4100.jpg
    IMG_4100.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_4101.jpg
    IMG_4101.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 380
Had to buy the 650g kit because i could not find the 300g kit. cost about $142 shipped +tax. I have a $10 off coupon code that can be used by 2/19 LURG-3JDV-8AVX
Followed BK's video. A couple things I learned along the way, a cheap or old toothbrush will spread the primer just fine. It's about the same consistency of the same blue color locktite. it will drip inside the hole. if thats going to kick your ocd into overdrive, put something down inside the tire to absorb it. A flap disk on a 4inch grinder will work just fine. used a 1/4" tap in a pencil grinder to round the end of the opening. before putting the primer on, lay each tube the length of the cut AND taper. this is about how much product you need. twist like video. I put a zip tie around the twist before cutting to keep the remainder of the product from oozing out. you won't squeeze this stuff out of the sleeve. dont try. just cut the sleeve lengthwise and pull the plastic off it best you can. thankfully i am in SE Houston and it was almost 70° today. in light of some of the bad cold weather related experiences i read about, i put the small heater in the garage for tonight, Already 73° in there, but it's not supposed to drop below 59° tonight.

How did it work not breaking the tire down?

I broke the tire down, just did not remove the back half of the rim. made it a little more challenging to get inside, but all i did was roughen the inside of the tire and prime it. I've kept the garage about 73° since saturday afternoon. i was hoping for the patch material to cure a little harder than it did. if feels a little soft. I did a RZR tire satruday evening as well, but did not break that one down. stock tire with a hole you could almost stick your pinky in. mixed up golf ball size parts of A & B. when I was done mixing, I split the rubber ball and used half of it on the RZR tire and just made a golf ball size rubber ball with the other half and brought it inside to cure. no difference in what cured inside and in the garage. but like I said, I was hoping for it to cure a little harder. i will air up the RZR tire tonight. I might be able to get the sticky back together tonight, but we have a HS orientation for my son, so we will see if I have time afterwards.

It's not super hard when it's cured but mine held together no problem just wouldnt stick to the tire no matter how much cement i used. As i said before talking to Matt we think my tires were just to old and the stuff wouldnt bond with it.

Sorry I did not see this sooner I got a kit used it for a tire.. Got all the left over.

yah, i think i have enough to repair about 40 more tires. lol. anybody in the SE Houston area want to give it a try hit me up on a PM. Happy to help someone out.
put 25psi in the RZR tire and put soapy water on it. seems to be holding just fine.
probably wont get the sticky back together until wednesday. Going to take it as a spare to Mega Run at Barnwell Mtn at the beginning of March. Hope i don't need it, but if I do, ill give it a beating.

That's right folks. We have a new formula that works faster for less money!

That's right folks. We have a new formula that works faster for less money!

Does it bond to 10 year old bfg tires :drinkers:

Since this thread has been bumped, I figure I would give an update on the patch from February. In March I flattened a tire at the Mega Run and swtiched to this tire with the patch and have been running it since then. I get out 2-3 days every month for a ride except July & August. We rode 7 days straight in Utah and I have not had any issues with the patch. Patch in the RZR tire has not given me any issues either.

Hopefully the new blend is not just faster but performs just as good. Will be interested in results.

Dumb question here, why does it not work on Reds?

If you have ever looked at an older, worn BFG Red, you will notice that the soft tread pattern is actually a cap added the a normal tire carcass. So BFG is actually a 2 part tire, old technology with an outer hope and dream attached. No glue known to man kind has been able to bond these hopes and dreams together.

I wonder what it would take to get your hands on some Red label tread caps. Every other new Jeep and 3/4 truck on the road is running 37/39/40" tires nowadays. That's a lot of good carcasses getting junked every year

If you have ever looked at an older, worn BFG Red, you will notice that the soft tread pattern is actually a cap added the a normal tire carcass. So BFG is actually a 2 part tire, old technology with an outer hope and dream attached. No glue known to man kind has been able to bond these hopes and dreams together.

Ah I see said the blind man, but your explanation makes sense.

Latest posts