• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cone washer delete.

Technician

Buddy of mine stripped all the studs of a TG drive flange. I said damn that's some wheelin????? Well servicin my knuckles is a pain in the ass with the cone washers and drive flanges. I went to Fastenal and bought some 7/16x1.5 20tpi case hardened bolts. Drilled and tapped the hubs and flanges for the new bolts. Chromo flanges are bitch to drill.
a4e21007716a088b2126b7628631862c.jpg

687b7887b92499ac0e2f75830d1acd6a.jpg

b6e9e405211c100dddb2cfb0c1536794.jpg

7/16 bolts are massive compared to the cone washer studs

Keep us posted how it holds up. I stripped the ARP studs and dowel pins out of a hub with tg drive flanges

This mid works great. A buddy of mine been runnin them for 3 years. They are super strong.

84turbotoy said:
It seems like I shear those studs when its in an awful bind, I hate to blow a longfield ujoint etc if i can just put a hub on once a year. booyang

Are you running stock flanges? or are you running TG flanges and breaking all the bolts and dowels? If you're running stock flanges, you could upgrade to TG flanges for what 2 hubs cost, then have no more worries. If you are running creeper flanges and breaking all the bolts, dowel pins - you likely are not keeping the studs tight.

I'm still running stock lockouts, never broken one just shearing dowels and studs. I tighten them with a snap on 3/8 impact so I know they are tight.

Did this mod on my last set of Toy axles. Well worth it and much less of a headache when it comes time to fix or service something in the axle. I always seemed to lose a cone washer or two each time during disassembly. That 5lb sledge would make em shoot across the shop like rockets.

zukimaster said:
Those cone washers are a pain in the ass! I have spent over a hour trying to get those things out!

I still have cone washers on my passenger side, but use 3/8 bolts on driver's side. The side with the ARP studs and cone washers sucks, I can never get the cone washers unjammed, so I usually just end up loosening and taking most all the studs out with the washers still on them. Same **** as using a damn bolt. The point of studs is to not be consistently screwing and unscrewing a bolt, weakening the threads inside the hub. Bolts R Betterrrr :****:

Okay I like the idea now has anyone done this for steering arms? I can't seem to keep from breaking them even with 5th stud mod. I'm guessing arps are the way to go on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paradisepwoffrd said:
Steering arms are a different story. The cones help you there for sure.

ARP studs and make sure they are tight

Weld the arm to the knuckle and you'll never have to worry about it.