• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cone washers suck

nick c

Lewis & Clark bitches!
Bachelor for the weekend, so i thought I'd finally get my front axle torn apart and repaired.

Can't get the 4 cone washers loose in the hi-steer arms. I've had them sitting in penetrating oil for 3 days. Tried all the normal tricks, hit them with a acetylene torch to get them warm. Nothing.

Was able to drill 4 or 5 holes in one and get it out. The other 3 still aren't moving.

Hate cone washers... :mad:

Take a good punch and place the tip of it in the spit of the cone washer.. will make the cone washer expand and should free it up...

The whole idea is to get toyota hyster arms to STAY PUT and never com loose.

Leave the stubborn arms/cones alone. Take the bottom cap off with NO cone washers and leave the steering arm ON the knuckle.

The knuckle will com off easily without pulling the arms.

Hit the stud with a brass drift, they pop right out.
Did that, many times.
Take a good punch and place the tip of it in the spit of the cone washer.. will make the cone washer expand and should free it up...

Tried that. Even took an old flat head and ground it down so it fit the groove better and tried it. No luck.

The whole idea is to get toyota hyster arms to STAY PUT and never com loose.

Leave the stubborn arms/cones alone. Take the bottom cap off with NO cone washers and leave the steering arm ON the knuckle.

The knuckle will com off easily without pulling the arms.

Normally that's what'd I'd do but I blew up the trunnion bearings again, so I'm installing the eliminator kit. So the arms have to come off.

It always worked for me to strike the side of the arm next to the washer with the peen end of the hammer, it usually defines the hole just enough to pop out the cone.

So this thread made me look into mine. On the way back from evans last week I encountered the dreaded death wobble 2x. Never did before,So finally today got to looking and poking around and found my high steer spacer arm is loose. Looks like 2 of the nuts backed off a little. 1 more than the other and the arm can me moved back and forth a little by hand. So the one that backed off the most is the one that is surrounded by part of the arm. (Kinda recessed) Poison spyder brand arm. Its a 15/16 but has very little space around nut to get a socket on it. Anyone have any tricks to tighten this thing up?

So I tried a variety of sockets/wrenches and no luck getting enough on it. Does anyone know if a thin walled socket fits in there?

Bachelor for the weekend, so i thought I'd finally get my front axle torn apart and repaired.

Can't get the 4 cone washers loose in the hi-steer arms. I've had them sitting in penetrating oil for 3 days. Tried all the normal tricks, hit them with a acetylene torch to get them warm. Nothing.

Was able to drill 4 or 5 holes in one and get it out. The other 3 still aren't moving.

Hate cone washers... :mad:
Do you always have to do things the hard way? :fawkdancesmiley:

I'm not sure why one of you ass-hats didn't tell me to use a press and press the arm off. :fawkdancesmiley:

Not sure why I didn't think of it sooner.

I was a bit scared, still have the cast HF arbor plates. I need to cut some steel for new ones.

It's apart now. This press has paid for itself several times.

Attachments

• IMG_20140713_193806_266.jpg
    IMG_20140713_193806_266.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20140713_193838_076.jpg
    IMG_20140713_193838_076.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20140713_201423_084.jpg
    IMG_20140713_201423_084.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 111
mudslayer, Im assuming your talking about Dana 44 arms?

I'm not sure im working on Toyota stuff

So this thread made me look into mine. On the way back from evans last week I encountered the dreaded death wobble 2x. Never did before,So finally today got to looking and poking around and found my high steer spacer arm is loose. Looks like 2 of the nuts backed off a little. 1 more than the other and the arm can me moved back and forth a little by hand. So the one that backed off the most is the one that is surrounded by part of the arm. (Kinda recessed) Poison spyder brand arm. Its a 15/16 but has very little space around nut to get a socket on it. Anyone have any tricks to tighten this thing up?

Sacrifice a socket to the bench grinding gods.......

Latest posts