• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Custom buggy hauler

Waffle

Bear with me......
I've searched well beyond what any sane person would & never could find exactly what I wanted. All buggy haulers these days are 102" wide & I've regretted selling my 96" wide gooseneck for years. With all the narrow backroads & construction zones I encounter I can definitely tell the difference & don't need or want a 102" wide trailer again. Current buggy hauler is actually a 22.5' x 102" enclosed & I'm done doing it this way.
I've come across a small trailer builder here in Ohio that is actually willing to build what I want for a very fair price. Having never owned a car hauler I'd thought it might be a good idea to ask here what to consider & what to avoid.

I was quoted $4250..... $500 deposit starts the build with remainder due on pickup.
10k - 96" wide x 18' long buggy hauler
77" between drive over fenders
Straight deck (dovetail optional)
6" channel frame & full wrapped tongue
3" channel crossmembers 24" OC
Stand up ramps with supports
4 wheel brakes & breakaway
LED with sealed wiring
Adjustable 2-5/16 coupler
Sandblasted & powdercoated
2x10 pressure treated floor
225/75r15 load D

He described the powdercoat as a bitch to remove & more akin to plastic. That's exactly how I feel regarding the pc on my buggy so that's a good thing. $100 more for 16" oc crossmembers. He's confident this will end up just shy of 3000lbs.

Any suggestions? Thoughts?
Screenshot_20201214-094038_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Deck height is 24". I'm going back & forth whether a dovetail is even necessary here. IDK

Buggy is 4400lbs, 89" wide, 120"wb on 43's. Might have another 200lbs of firewood loaded between the fenders but that's it.

Last edited:
I'd go with no dovetail, steel floor and a big jack in order to be able to unhook with a load still on it.

I don't see what axles you plan on using, but the tires seem small. I'd go 16" load range E for peace of mind.

The 10k verson uses 5.2k axles with 6lug 225/75r15 load D. Same thing on my 22.5' 10k Haulmark enclosed that I currently use. I did upgrade mine last summer to load E Goodyear Endurance for peace of mind.

He has a 12k drop leg jack option for another $100. That does sound like a good idea!

Last edited:
My 2 cents. Personally I like a wooden trailered floor, Load Range E tires, and no dovetail.

Personally I don't like a dovetail trailer since it tends to drag-ass at various off-road parks and off-level situations. If you have standup ramps with supports then the dovetail is not needed in my opinion.

Second the idea of a bigger jack then you think is really necessary and same can be said about tires. Would rather over do the tires on the front end than go with D now and wish you had E's later.

All that said, it's a cool looking trailer and seems reasonably priced.

I just talked to him so I could clear up some confusion on my part.

10k version uses 6k 6lug axles with 225/75r15 load D. Another $60 for E rated tires.

12k version uses 6k 8lug axles with 235/75r16 load E & costs $600 more. The $400 extra listed on the website is old & needing updated. ☹

Suspension is eye to eye spring. Fenders are 1/8" diamond with supports.

I'm selling the enclosed. I had planned on putting in aluminum cabinets & a workstation with fold down bed, but never touched it in 5yrs & realize I never will. I'm going back to my roots and plan on making it easier for me to travel further south & hit all the parks down there. A lighter & smaller trailer holding less gear helps me imho.

Last edited:
shoot me some info on the enclosed. i've wanted one for a while. but i'm afraid i'll also be like you and wont do what i need to do.

shoot me some info on the enclosed. i've wanted one for a while. but i'm afraid i'll also be like you and wont do what i need to do.

Off the top of my head..... its 22.5'
2015 Haulmark Transport Auto V-nose dlx
10k with 5.2lb torsion ez-lube drop axles
New Goodyear Endurance load E 225/15
94" wide ramp door
48" wide side door with flush locks
16" oc crossmembers & roof bows
.030 aluminum White exterior
White vinyl lined wall & ceiling
REXTHANE coated floor in black
Led lights
Diamond sheet stone guard
Chrome center caps, rings & corners

PS: Rexthane is the **** if you roll it on a new wood floor. It's the same moisture cure polyurethane used to topcoat custom epoxy garage floors. Unaffected by gas, oil or tire pickup. Best $250 I ever spent!

Last edited:
I like the wood deck as well. Load Range E tires for the win. No dove as long as the ramps will stop the trailer from hitting the ground during load up. I would see if he can add a built in plate to mount a winch in the front and you absolutely cannot have enough d rings welded to it.

The buggy is the only thing this will carry, which is why 18' is all I want or need. The total combined weight of buggy + trailer + firewood should be 7500lbs.

I definitely prefer wood & I'll add 2 d-rings up front & 2 at the back, spaced according to my needs of course. Winch plate is a good idea!

Last edited:
I just bought this. If you want his number pm me.

Attachments

• IMG_0626001.jpg
    IMG_0626001.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 357

Off the top of my head..... its 22.5'
2015 Haulmark Transport Auto V-nose dlx
10k with 5.2lb torsion ez-lube drop axles
New Goodyear Endurance load E 225/15
94" wide ramp door
48" wide side door with flush locks
16" oc crossmembers & roof bows
.030 aluminum White exterior
White vinyl lined wall & ceiling
REXTHANE coated floor in black
Led lights
Diamond sheet stone guard
Chrome center caps, rings & corners

PS: Rexthane is the **** if you roll it on a new wood floor. It's the same moisture cure polyurethane used to topcoat custom epoxy garage floors. Unaffected by gas, oil or tire pickup. Best $250 I ever spent!
sent you a pmn

I always here about dragging ass with low trailers & dovetails, but I've never had an issue where I go with a 22.5' enclosed with 4" drop axles & a dovetail. To me it would be reasonable to assume that if my 22.5' works just fine then an 18' would work even better. That's just me though.
He said I could do drop axles if I want, for another $200 ea axle. Seems steep.

PS: I'm trying to keep this significantly less than $5200, because the closer I get to that price the more likely I am to say screw the whole idea & just deal with the width.

PSS: If you do want a name brand trailer right now, the way you want it, good luck! Manufacturers are waaaaay behind & some are refusing to mess with individual orders. Sure-Trac for example is 50 weeks out if you order today, so I'm told. Load Trail flat out refused to build me a car hauler with the options I wanted (options they offer).
Expect a price increase in early 2021 too.

Last edited:
I always here about dragging ass with low trailers & dovetails, but I've never had an issue where I go with a 22.5' enclosed with 4" drop axles & a dovetail. To me it would be reasonable to assume that if my 22.5' works just fine then an 18' would work even better. That's just me though.
He said I could do drop axles if I want, for another $200 ea axle. Seems steep.

PS: I'm trying to keep this significantly less than $5200, because the closer I get to that price the more likely I am to say screw the whole idea & just deal with the width.

PSS: If you do want a name brand trailer right now, the way you want it, good luck! Manufacturers are waaaaay behind & some are refusing to mess with individual orders. Sure-Trac for example is 50 weeks out if you order today, so I'm told. Load Trail flat out refused to build me a car hauler with the options I wanted (options they offer).
Expect a price increase in early 2021 too.

I hear them constantly dragging at Adventure Off-road Park and Hawk Pride in the gravel driveways in the parking area and at Hale in the parking areas too, which is why I mentioned it earlier.

I hear them constantly dragging at Adventure Off-road Park and Hawk Pride in the gravel driveways in the parking area and at Hale in the parking areas too, which is why I mentioned it earlier.
Ha! Those are the places I've never been but plan to.

Latest posts