• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Custom buggy hauler

slap that thing on an normal everyday 7k gvw 5 lug wood bed trailer and rock out. $2000.

don't need folding ramps and all that, do you even use ramps to load a buggy?

Nah, I don't like hauling that close to max capacity, 10k is as low as I'd ever go.

TBH, I've lost interest with this custom trailer idea & I don't like how his prices over the phone are higher than his posted prices online (and higher than the Moritz), nor do I like the double eye spring setup. So, I'm putting the Moritz ELBH AR 14k to the top of the list.

Last edited:

Damn y'all weren't kidding! I paid $4100 for this trailer with slide in ramps a year and a half ago. It's $5000 now. I thought when they were telling me to hurry up and buy because of steel prices it was just some BS to get me to buy. Apparently not

I can highly recommend a Lamar. I own this and a load trail dump and I'm about to ask load trail to warranty the powder coat. The Lamar on the other hand is damn near perfect.

Perhaps it was my last conversation with him that prompted the update, but he did in fact update his prices on the web. What was a $4200 10k 6lug base model is now a $4650 12k 6lug (same trailer specs). So it rose by $450 & the standup ramps increased to $150 extra. With a $100 12k jack that's $4900 for a starting point.

For that price the market is much more competitive imho & not worth it just to get a narrower trailer. I'll just deal with the tire/fender width & make a deck as wide as I need to. I'm not knocking him in anyway. Business is business.
Screenshot_20201221-222228_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
I really wish I had the shop space to build a dedicated minimalist buggy hauler. Something like the Mnorby's crawler hauler, but using cues & runners from the red Take3 shown here.
That red Take3 trailer is 10k, weighs less than 1900lbs & is 96" wide, but it's waaay too expensive.

I'm just thinking out loud at this point.

unnamed.jpg
20160311_124409.jpg

Last edited:
I always liked the concept of the minimalist trailer for hauling a rig ever since I first saw Fred Williams' with Dirt Every Day use his dually minimalist trailer. I've seen a couple of recent minimalist trailer builds on Pirate and Irate that used a single axle, but I'm not a fan of those between balance and no redundancy for tires. To each their own though.

And another dually one:

Sooo i went the new trailer route here a few years ago and went steel deck. removabel fenders. I wanted to be able to haul material with a side kit. The other reason i picked metal was to get the crossmember spacing closer (18") vs 24" with the wood deck....was i crazy for worrying about the 24" spacing on a wood deck for a buggy hauler?

I think you guys are over thinking this, most buggies weigh 4-5k pounds? I got just a regular 18' steel deck trailer with 2 3500lb axles and haul crew cab diesel trucks all over the place, never any problem, just keep good tires on it.

That deckover trailer will put the buggy up in the air a lot. IMO that makes more sense for hauling classic cars or something that the doors will hit the trailer fenders.

a dedicated buggy hauler would be cool, and you don't have to worry about people wanting to borrow it, just leave the buggy on it all the time. You could do maintenance, bolt check, etc with out ever unloading.

I think you guys are over thinking this, most buggies weigh 4-5k pounds? I got just a regular 18' steel deck trailer with 2 3500lb axles and haul crew cab diesel trucks all over the place, never any problem, just keep good tires on it.
Most 7k steel deck 18' trailers weigh 2500lbs. Wait....crew cab diesel ON a steel 7k trailer? I'm not comfortable with that even if you are.

Last edited:
Sooo i went the new trailer route here a few years ago and went steel deck. removabel fenders. I wanted to be able to haul material with a side kit. The other reason i picked metal was to get the crossmember spacing closer (18") vs 24" with the wood deck....was i crazy for worrying about the 24" spacing on a wood deck for a buggy hauler?
I've seen crossmember spacing of 16", 18" & 24" on various 10k trailers. It's probably no big deal given our tire width, but 24" makes me nervous too.

I'm definitely not considering a deckover like the one pictured, just thought it would be cool to have a dual runner trailer (open center) where instead of them running inbetween the tires, the runners line up with the fenders, start low, but become the drive over fender by themselves. Same shape as the Mnorby hauler.

I just don't want to be "that guy". You know, the guy on the side of the highway cause he overloaded & smoked his bearings, or the guy with the extra camber cause he's rolling on bent axles, or the guy who buys a brand new trailer and tries to drive up on it without ramps and bends the dovetail. Seen it all from those I know.

Unless something pops up or manufacturing production catches back up I'm done with searching. I'll be happy with what I settle with.

Last edited:
I really like the dedicated rig trailers too, mostly since it gets the rig down out of the wind. My biggest concern, is trying to load a broken rig. If it isnt built too specific, you might could switch with a friend, and put the broken rig on a flatbed and the other rig on the hauler.

My plans for the next rig hauler, will be to use 7k drop axles, as wide as possible. Full width deck, but as low as possible. I am planning to go tilt deck, but they seem to be double to cost of a standard 10-14k trailer.

Thanks for pointing that out, but he's a lil bit too far away for my liking. I'd want something very similar, but not the exact one he has cause I'd need to change the specs here & there to better suit my needs.

One thing I want to point out is......never trust the empty weight "claimed" by the manufacturer. I've noticed some irregularities with certain manufacturers and all I can say is they're trying to trick you into believing it's lighter when it really isn't. If all things are equal specs and you change just the frame material (change in weight per ft), then it's impossible for a trailer made of heavier material to weigh less, obviously. But..... I've seen claims that suggest otherwise.

Example: I've seen trailer A with 6"x8.2lb channel frame claim to weigh hundreds of pounds less than trailer B with 5"x6.7lb channel despite all other specs being equal. And I've seen people online regurgitate these lies when they post their trailer weight with the caption "that's what my paperwork says". I called one dealer in particular that just happened to sell both my new #1 & #2 trailer choice, asked about the material specs & posted weights and was warned that the #2 didn't weigh #2550 as claimed but closer to #3000. And this wasn't an issue of weighing base trailer vs one with add on options.

Latest posts