• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Custom buggy hauler

I'm playing around with the idea of keeping weight down so I can eventually transition into a 1/2 ton one day. I still like the Moritz & asked myself what I could do to make this work even better. So I started looking at the deck & realized I don't need a full deck of 2x8's. I just need 2 runners on each side and let the drips drip on through. Since this Moritz uses an 8" wf beam with a 4" flange I thought that was a good starting point, so I checked some numbers.

2x8 (1.5"x7.25") dried pt = 3.12lb plf
2x8x18 = 56.16lbs

If I move my firewood to the bed & remove 6 boards in the center, that saves me 336lbs. If I remove 8 in the center this saves me 449lbs and leaves me a runner thats 11.25" wide (will get wider when I add tube to stake pockets).

2,920lb Moritz is now 2,471lbs and with a 4400lb buggy I'd be down to #6871 total.
20201231_182829.jpg

Last edited:
It is interresting to note that you how you want a 10k trailer but also want to tow with a half ton.

IMO You removed a total of 450lbs by making this trailer way less useful. On top of that any new half ton will tow 6871 + 500lbs no problem. A lot of them are rated to tow 10k. Plus, keeping the weight on the trailer vs in the bed is a million times better in terms of weight distribution especially if you're towing with a lighter truck.

At the end of the day, if you're trying to save weight, I'd go to a smaller duty 7000lbs trailer that will be way lighter than that heavy Moritz and if you're concerned about durability, you could still upgrade the axles only to 10k in order to get the big bearings and brakes.

I hear ya. My last post was more akin to thinking out loud, that's all. I was curious to see how a trailer I want, overbuilt at the upper end of my needs/wants, could be lowered to better match the capabilities of a wider range of more fuel efficient vehicles, because this is likely the last yr I'll need my 8.1L/Allison longbed.

Tbh, I have no idea what the capabilities are of a variety of newer 1/2 ton trucks & suv's, but the thought of getting significantly better mpg's & a place to sleep in the back is very appealing.

It's definitely a sellers market regarding trailers. I posted my enclosed for what I felt was a fair price after comparing others, knowing I would be offered a little less. 24hrs later it was sold & just $1200 less than what I paid for it 5yrs ago.

Last edited:
Today I drove 40 miles out to look at a 10k PJ CE equipment trailer cause the listed price was tempting at just $3995 & I called to verify that they still had it. Unfortunately they failed to mention that they marked it up to $4450 earlier this week. Ugh, nope.....

So it looks like I'll be making a drive this week & get what I want b4 these other dealers start raising the prices on stuff they already have.

I got lucky & found a Moritz dealer just 70 miles out and he had what I wanted in stock. So I drove on out to Tadlock Trailer Sales in southern Ohio and one walk around is all it took to convince me this is the one. All of the welds are great & Moritz definitely has a winner here.

14k, 8"x#10 wf beam, torsion axles, 1/8" thick diamond fenders, thick af header & wind panel with tie downs on ea side, 1/4" thick stake pockets, aluminum load support ramps that Moritz claims to be stronger than their old steel ones, quad stop/tail lights, forward facing fender edge led, aluminum toolbox, 12k drop leg spring assist jack, adjustable coupler. There's even a hookless chain tie down point in between the fenders that slips through, similar to rollback tiedowns. And there's a real license plate mount in the center that won't drag or get ripped off.

20210118_144217.jpg
20210118_144413.jpg
20210118_144443.jpg
20210118_144323.jpg
20210118_144334.jpg
20210118_171703.jpg

I think so, maybe. I kinda like the idea of letting **** drip through or the ability to work on it from underneath if I had to, and I'd have lots of open space not having slide in ramps & holders, but stacking wood there would be nice.

This image is what gave me the idea in the first place.
7f76b92a2c388a4a5999cc7f87785de6.jpg

I got lucky & found a Moritz dealer just 70 miles out and he had what I wanted in stock. So I drove on out to Tadlock Trailer Sales in southern Ohio and one walk around is all it took to convince me this is the one. All of the welds are great & Moritz definitely has a winner here.

14k, 8"x#10 wf beam, torsion axles, 1/8" thick diamond fenders, thick af header & wind panel with tie downs on ea side, 1/4" thick stake pockets, aluminum load support ramps that Moritz claims to be stronger than their old steel ones, quad stop/tail lights, forward facing fender edge led, aluminum toolbox, 12k drop leg spring assist jack, adjustable coupler. There's even a hookless chain tie down point in between the fenders that slips through, similar to rollback tiedowns. And there's a real license plate mount in the center that won't drag or get ripped off.

View attachment 122054View attachment 122055View attachment 122056View attachment 122057View attachment 122058View attachment 122059
Damn that's fancy! Can you drive over the fenders?

I had a open center trailer, really liked it. It was nice to wash the rig off too after a muddy ride. Mine had the spare tire mounted in the center "below deck" too.

Mine is an open center. I recently closed it up. The first time laying on the open center trying to work under the jeep was uncomfortable enough to make me finish out the center. It's so much nicer now. I also don't have to worry about my kiddos falling through the middle of the trailer now whenever they're up there playing while we're at camp.

At this point the title should say
"modified equipment trailer", but I'll continue just for the hell of it.
It's too damn cold & wet to work on it so I did some double checking on measurements & I was off just a little. My buggy is 90" wide outside of 43's and since the trailer has drop axles the deck width is 80". That's a bigger difference than I'm comfortable with so I'll definitely be widening this thing just a bit. The good news is the stake pockets are .25" thick, 4" tall & 84" wide at its outside, so to me that's a solid foundation to weld either rectangular tube or structural angle to.

Last edited:
I'm also considering copying this "frame extension" design (minus rub rails & pockets) that Diamond C offers on their LPX since the LPX & Moritz are nearly identical. I wish I could see it in person but I'm going to have to find other means to learn its structure. I think it's open underneath.
20210125_022115.jpg
20210125_022205.jpg

5" of tire sticking on each side of the deck doesn't phase me much. My rig is wider than that and my deck narrower and it's really not that bad,

5" of tire sticking on each side of the deck doesn't phase me much. My rig is wider than that and my deck narrower and it's really not that bad,
Maybe I am trying too hard cause a few others have said the same thing.

Latest posts