• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cut a sticky SX today!!

infamous1

Just a little agitated, thought they were supposed to be tougher than that!! It was just a rock sticking out of the ground. We got several plugs in it and rode the rest of the day and it should be reparible (I'm justbitchin). Specs; TSL SX 43 mounted on a 9" wheel, 12 psi, stauns at 42psi, 3900lb rig on tons not really beating on it at the time, tires around a year old 90+ % tread cut longways right in the center of the tread.I will try to put some pics up later. Anybody else have any failures like this or am I just a lucky guy?:(

Re:

Thanks man, I will just boot it myself, I am several hours away from Scott. Do y'all see this much? I know I'm not as hard as y'all racers are on stuff!

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

Re:

paradisepwoffrd said:
Maybe to little air pressure? Most stickies work with more air pressure

I run 4-5 in the back 5-6 in the front of mine. Double beadlocks

Re:

untchabl said:
Pretty sure he was running around 12psi when we were riding yesterday.

That's plenty, sounds like bad luck :dunno: I got some cuts in mine that scared the crap out of me when I seen them but there good

Re:

Yup 12 psi, I have a couple of cuts that look to be 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch deep in the sidewalls that look scary but no leaks, I guess it was just the way it hit. Thanks for the info guys. Actually had a guy say that the stickies were just too soft to ride in the sharp edged granite that we have around here? Is that possible?

infamous1 said:
Yup 12 psi, I have a couple of cuts that look to be 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch deep in the sidewalls that look scary but no leaks, I guess it was just the way it hit. Thanks for the info guys. Actually had a guy say that the stickies were just too soft to ride in the sharp edged granite that we have around here? Is that possible?

If stickies are cutting in it, I'd hate to see a regular TSL or something similar. Back in the bay we had to fix a least a tire a day. But now tires are pretty tough.

kushKrawlin said:
So the stikies are stronger compound than a reg tire? I woulda thought the opposite for sure! Hmmm. Learn somtjing new everyday.

I think he's talking about a regular tsl vrs the tslsx ?

I have been running LTBs for years without beadlocks (so 8psi bare min) and have never cut one on these razor rocks. Nasty slits..... :cougar:.......yes!! oh and some tire cuts but no flats. So was 12psi TOO much pressure? I punched a bead off and busted a staun on the same hill with 2.5psi in them on a rollover :dunno:

infamous1 said:
I have been running LTBs for years without beadlocks (so 8psi bare min) and have never cut one on these razor rocks. Nasty slits..... :cougar:.......yes!! oh and some tire cuts but no flats. So was 12psi TOO much pressure? I punched a bead off and busted a staun on the same hill with 2.5psi in them on a rollover :dunno:

Lots of people told me 8 psi but I run less, probably because I'm stubborn, you don't want to hear it but I drove mine about 10 miles on the road at 8psi and I'm confident it helped them. Couldn't tell much wear but it scuffed all the edges. Just make sure the alignment is good or you'll really see it.

Thanks man, I have rode them on the highway probably 20 miles or so at 10psi to soften them up, I guess 8psi will be my go to, just to see how they work. I have tried them at 6 and didnt feel that they worked as good as 12 but 8, 8 will work, I am going to 8!! lol now i just gotta get that big sucker in the back of my tracker to get it to the shop to be repaired!! :****:

In theory, I would think less PSI would create less resistance to deforming over something that might puncture the tire. Lower pressure allows the tire to envelop a sharp object instead of push against it, creating a cut.

low pressure also allows the tire to collapse completely pinching the tire between a rock and the wheel which results in cut sidewalls.. my experience has been finding the right balance between traction and pinch flats lol. Correct pressure for your rig depends on the tire stiffness and rig weight and compound. … this isn't the only way to cut a sidewall but this is where i've cut most of my tires and i've cut a lot of them. If I ran my reds at 18psi they hooked up great and i rarely cut one, on par with every other tire i've run including plain old TSL's which i cut fairly regularly lol

How about posting a pic of this cut SX?

Neal3000 said:
Has anyone ever cut an SX sidewall?

I've heard of it, never seen it personally. I got some cuts in mine that scared the hell out of me when I seen them.

Latest posts