• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

D44 Opinions

pjprice

Everybody has their own opinions. I'm wanting to hear them. Sitting on a 99 XJ, nothing special. D60 rear with a 44 front. 36's Icants, possibly 37 reds before too long. Blew out a front shaft and wanting to beef it up. Trying to decide between slapping RCV's in the 44 or doing a 60 front. Would like to hear pros and cons of both. Of course the 60 will be stronger, but for the set up I have, is it really worth the extra time and money to do the 60? Would also like to hear of somebody that ran RCV's in a 44 and what problems did you run into, if any? With that. Also, drive flanges verse hubs. Running a spool on the front but doesn't touch pavement. Like stated above, just trying to get other opinions.

Re:

As I told you before I stripped a ring and pinion in my 44 before I ever had an issue with the rcvs. I had drive flanges... I drove my xj very hard.

Re:

twizt3dfuc said:
As I told you before I stripped a ring and pinion in my 44 before I ever had an issue with the rcvs. I had drive flanges... I drove my xj very hard.
Yea. I'm glad to hear feedback from people that actually ran that set-up! Just still can't decide if it's worth the trouble of the 60 front verse the ease of replacing the 44 shafts and slapping flanges on it.

Re:

I was running 39.5s on the rcvs as well, I would highly doubt a stock shaft to hold up to Em.
As far as strength comparison I couldn't tell you, but I never had a worry about my rcvs breaking

Re:

I've ran 37-39s for a couple years now on a Ford hp 44 in an xj. I try to drive half way sensible but quickly, tires leave the ground on occasion. I ride once a month average. So far I've cracked the welds on the passenger side axle tube, that was a close call, I added a truss and all seems good again. My ball joints seem a little week, I keep a close eye on them. Haven't had any shaft problems but I've never had any meaty tires on it. I'm running 5.38s, welded, mile marker stainless hubs.

I ran hp44 arb, 4.56 geears, rcv and flanges. Never broke anything up front that was with 39.5 iroks. Changed the ball joints once a year an call it good.

Re:

go the easy route and slap some rcv's in there for the 44. if they work for you, you are good. if it doesn't work out, and you decide to go the route of the 60 sell the rcv's for nearly what you paid for them and part out the rest of what is good on your 44.

Re:

D60

I went through every changeable part in a D44. Nothing really broke (aside from shafts/joints)....everything just wore out every month. Steering...balljoints...wheel bearings...pinion bearings...

It's just a no brainer that if your asking about needing a 60....you need a 60

Re:

tonybolton said:
D60

I went through every changeable part in a D44. Nothing really broke (aside from shafts/joints)....everything just wore out every month. Steering...balljoints...wheel bearings...pinion bearings...

It's just a no Brainerd that if your asking about needing a 60....you need a 60

x2 tried running a 44, but that was with 44 tsl's :eek: I killed something on the 44 every time out. Had upgraded shafts, hubs etc. Just didn't work with my setup. 44's rcv's and 37's not sure but seems like folks are pushing you toward the 60.

I've got RCVs in my HP 44 with the flanges. I'm running 38.5 skinny boggers with 15" wheels with the DIY beadlocks. It's a pretty heavy setup. I kept breaking axle joints and outer shafts. I went went with RCVs and have broke the short side inner twice where the retainer clip holds the shaft in the CV boot. RCV has been awesome to deal with. I think the first break was not a surprise. The second time i wasn't being hard on it. They sent me a 300M shaft for it this time. We'll see how it holds up. It survived 3 good days at windrock so far.
Give Paul a call at RCV. Like the guy said before, run that for a while. If it breaks it's free replacement and sell them to buy a 60.

You'll either get out or get a 60 eventually anyhow. Seems everyone who sticks with the sport matures to the good stuff or stops wheeling hard. Never hav I heard of anyone who sold their 60 to get a 44 lol

Gittinit said:
You'll either get out or get a 60 eventually anyhow. Seems everyone who sticks with the sport matures to the good stuff or stops wheeling hard. Never hav I heard of anyone who sold their 60 to get a 44 lol

That is true. I don't plan on getting out. I do however plan to get in something with less body, would like a buggy. But until then I want it to hold up, and I'd like to have it set good for whoever buys it. Always something. Haha

RCV's = lifetime warranty, def ask for the 300m inner shafts, (think it's like $100 more or something like that)....if you break em more than what you think you should, you get free replacements minus shipping..... get new replacements, sell your current built D44 axle, then go to a D60. If you are like me, I try to avoid any major fabrication mods if possible. I don't have the tools to do it with and if someone else does it, that usually means also paying for labor too.

RCV are awesome ppl to deal with! Ordering a whole set of the full 30 spline axles for my FJ80 front this week! :woot:

I say RCV's I now have twistedfuc's old xj and have beat on it with 38 in cut boggers, flipped today it's been tough had no trouble. Have had to replace wheel bearings once but tht is gonna happen when u wheel
It every other weekend. I highly reccomend RCV's :dblthumb:

Are the RCV's for a 44 cheap or somthing?? I haven't ever checked the price but for the 60 they are crazy high. But worth it I'm sure.. Will have some one day. just seems cheaper to get a 60 that's probably just as strong. But then again what do I know. Definitely not an expert. Also definitely have not blown apart My Dana 60. :dblthumb: I wonder how big of a diff in gear strength is it between a LP 60 and HP 44? Just curious.