• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

dana 60 knuckle

1TONZR2

Big mudda fugga!
ok guys, I found a small (about 1") hairline crack in one of my knuckles. I have been researching plating them before I found that crack and that was one reason to disassemble them, the other was to put the new Yukon shafts in.......
my question to you guys, do you think it is possible to weld that crack up and then plate the **** out of it or just buy another driver side knuckle and plate that? trust me, I would LOVE to buy some BLING, but I dont think it is in my budget, especially after just buying shafts......BEFORE Paul posted his pricing! :flipgotcha: :flipoff1:

Brian

Welding to that cast knuckle is PITA and it will probably crack again. I have seem them trail fixed like that, but I would not go much farther given the situation.

I have seen several of them welded and hold. mostly on pirate, but also on ben's buggy. he doesn't take it easy by any stretch of the imagination. plating them with proper welding technique and pre and post heat you will be fine. I'm not trying to step on your nuts matt, just saying that it can and has been done successfully to wheel for at least a year before you need to splurge on the solids :spin:

I just would not recommend it if you had a good alternative, especially with the ford knuckles (which means dedebear upgrades not solid). I have heard too many horror stories about the ford knuckles and you are playing with fire with welding them (literaly ;D). I returned your PM and still have my stock knuckles (can get them from Rich).

thanks for the replies. I guess I have some thinking to do. I think plating the stock knuckles would be fine and have heard of no one breaking them after that is done, but I dunno about welding up that crack......dedenbears are badass, except for the cost.

Brian

Ive broken 3 Ford D60 knuckles, have plated 2 of them and still have to make the last 2pc knuckle 1pc again ;D
Notch the crack and weld it up.. then start plating... in the meantime, save for some Orange ones :spin:

nothing wrong with welding up the crack, you will plate an area 1" inside of that so it won't even be a consideration. ]
like this on the rear:
knuckleplate4.jpg

it bridges from the top thick area to the bottom one.

Latest posts