• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Detached shop garage better WiFi

wellshilloffroad said:
My WiFi will not pick up unless the shop doors are open. What are some easy ways to extend service to my shop? It's about 75 ft between the house and shop.

Extending wifi usually does not work very well. When you repeat a signal with an extender your best hope is to get 50% of whatever the strength of the signal is from the extender. There's other options though.

Do you have direct line of sight between your house and shop?

Are you open to running a hard line from the house?

It's a direct line of sight. Nothing except a block retaining wall. I'm up to doing what will work the best. As far as running a hard line, does it need to be run in conduit?

I've been debating this as well. My shop is about 75-100 feet off the house. Service tech that set up the wifi set up two domains; said use one for household and one for shop.

It reaches in the front of the shop but loses signal farther in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran mine in conduit 200 ft to my shop. Used Cat6 cable for options in the future if I wanted to add security systems, etc.

You don't have to bury conduit as deep, but obviously you don't want it in an area that you may dig. I ran mine in plastic conduit and also run multiple lines while you can. And I also ran a loose pull string so that if I ever needed to pull another item through, I could.

Never had any issues, streamed TV and games into my shop, and also had security cams watching my shop so I could check on it from anywhere.

Just out of curiosity, what are so many of y'all needing wifi to run? desktop pc? I can def see it for security system. What else?

Run a cat 5 or 6 out there and setup another router off of your house router. Got full service in my shop that same way. I Stream playstation vue on it, cameras, laptop, cell phones. What ever you can dream up

I ran 2 strands of CAT 5 to my shop behind my house. I had a guy dig a ditch so I could run water too. So it's buried below the freeze line with the water line. Went to Lowes and got some black tubing like PEX but is used for irrigation for gardens or yards, something like that. Worked pretty well.

TacomaJD said:
Just out of curiosity, what are so many of y'all needing wifi to run? desktop pc? I can def see it for security system. What else?

it's really nice when needing to research a part or pull up tech real quick in the shop instead of having to keep running back and forth to the house 20x , especially when you're in the middle of something and/or nasty from working outside/ in the shop

plus I can't send/ receive a text or call when I'm in the back of the shop with the doors closed

smbroady82 said:
it's really nice when needing to research a part or pull up tech real quick in the shop instead of having to keep running back and forth to the house 20x , especially when you're in the middle of something and/or nasty from working outside/ in the shop

plus I can't send/ receive a text or call when I'm in the back of the shop with the doors closed

Ah, so lack of cell signal plays a part. I was going to say mobile hotspot should be easier than running internet out there, but guess that won't work in your case.

TacomaJD said:
Ah, so lack of cell signal plays a part. I was going to say mobile hotspot should be easier than running internet out there, but guess that won't work in your case.

yeah, I drop calls in the house daily .. sucks

TacomaJD said:

Yeah desktop PC for parts searching and running bend tech. Bend tech needs internet connection without a dongle or whatever it's called.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Re: Detached shop garage better WiFi

blacksheep10 said:
I need to email invoices and whatnot and currently walk to the house. Don't feel like digging a ditch in a 40 year old driveway that is hard packed with a couple utilities to cross etc. Want a wireless solution
Rent a trencher, a good one will eat through that hard pack **** no problem. Cover up is easy. $135 for the weekend is all it costed to rent this one.

49e433ff0baec831a7f21bf984cb7cc4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I struggled forever with the same thing. Also my freeloading brother in law lived upstairs to it. I tried everything. Only thing that worked was the hard line and a new router like others said. I had other cables that went from the house close to the garage. I strung the new cable on the existing lines. Works great now.

blacksheep10 said:
I need to email invoices and whatnot and currently walk to the house. Don't feel like digging a ditch in a 40 year old driveway that is hard packed with a couple utilities to cross etc. Want a wireless solution

I've got a driveway to cross as well.

Josh's ditch witch idea is about the only thing we have came up with so far. I'd also like to find a wireless alternative.

smbroady82 said:
I've got a driveway to cross as well.

Josh's ditch witch idea is about the only thing we have came up with so far. I'd also like to find a wireless alternative.

Friend of mine builds houses for a living and has used lower end trenchers and told me I was gonna have my hand full when I was burying that drain pipe. I guess it all depends on which one you are running because the one I rented was badass. The tracks give it a huge contact patch and it has the ability to steer like a zero turn (apparently some of them you just have to yank on to get them to turn), and it would turn fine while digging (to keep it straight) because of the big contact patch of the tracks. I dug over 80' of trench with it in about 15 minutes.

Latest posts