• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Diff welding

Welderd

I think I stripped the splines on the welded transaxle diff on my buggy

I got it HOT! added 3/8" plate and burned it in with a mig real good. I doubt it would ever break

But if I'm right the splines stripped from the side gears - due to the heat?
They are 35spline side gears but only like 1.15" diameter

Heard of that happening in welded diffs before?

think it'd be better to just weld the 4 corners and call it good?
I do now have an arc welder with some stainless rod if I have to redo it. - last one was slightly warped

output stub broke

IMG_5540.jpg

IMG_5544.jpg

IMG_5542.jpg

now what?

****!

It was a known weak link, I was gonna weld part of a CV to a yota flange
Figured that would definitely break, so I had Branik make me a custom piece from thru hardened chromoly.

looks kinda soft to me - but what do I know?

Try it again from something else?
I'm gonna rebuild the trans to redo the diff, it was warped from welding. If I can get it to slip in I could swap it in a few minutes but this one needed to be hammered in.

hey T do some math and figure what kind of torque you are putting through that
from your crank to the ground (low low)
i bet it's insane,and your doing it all through a 1'' shaft !
was that a stock part that you had modified
or was it a custom part

custom chromoly shaft

torque that it sees would be engine torque x 1st gear x torque converter x transaxle diff gear.

I don't know what alot of those #'s are and I can't change em so I never did the math and just figured I'll have to find out.

Now what?

Do I redo it and make it a quick swap and be my drivetrain fuse?
Or do I get outa the drivetrain and figure out a new one?

you could have one made from titanium (http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/technology/new_alloy_030422.html0
but then you would find your weak link some where other then an easy fix
if it was me i would get your diff straight (easy slip fit) and make spears
front digs on assphalt are cool but BAM
I'm not an engineer that's just my nickel

I'm gonna do some checkin today to try to fit a larger side gear in there

rockwild said:
I'm gonna do some checkin today to try to fit a larger side gear in there

could you change it to use like a hub gear or drive flange then a 30 spline bobby long axle as your joint?

sorry tryin to come up with expensive ways to fix yer problem :flipoff1:

I went and got some side gears from different axles and went to a trans shop today too

the carrier is too small and there would be some extensive work to get anything bigger in there.

The shaft was not hardened after machining, it's very soft, I can easily drill it and remove material with a file. Branik is gonna make another one and post treat it.

But now I'm gonna have to pull the motor and trans and completely go thru the trans to get the diff out. while I'm in there Im gonna try to weld another diff up to stay straighter. Asked a machine shop for sume ideas, but it's gonna be one of those try it and see deals. Sucks it's the LAST part out of the trans and the FIRST one back in.

can you have a spool made like Mark did ?
that way you could just run a one pcs shaft (hardened) all the way through ? (to keep things straight,no side load)
or will that not work with what you have

Latest posts