• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Discovery Pass Locations...

Zoediak

Here is a link to a Map that shows the DNR locations statewide that require the new Discovery Pass...

it is in PDF format, so make sure you have a reader...

Discover_Pass_DNR_Locations.pdf

Hope this helps anyone with questions... just look for your location on the map and go from there...

:D

thx...

I figured that I would do some research... while doing so, found the map from the DNR and decided to share it..

besides, with my luck, I would go out thinking I was OK and then get a fat ticket... hahahaha

I will also add a little Disco pass FAQ
http://easternwashingtonoffroad.com/Public_Land/Discover_Pass_FAQ_5-12-11.pdf
Most other things covered here.
www.discoverpass.wa.gov
A few other facts are :
Tow rigs need a pass .Your towed 4x4 needs a separate pass.Unless it has ORV tabs. It is possible in this state to dual reg. So you can keep your plate and have ORV tabs too.This also applies to dual sport bikes . But don't be surprised if DNR tries to mess with you.This is going to be a gray area for awhile. At least if you buy the ORV tabs all your money goes up the trail instead only a small percentage going to the DNR.
And the worst part is these Discovery Passes are not transferable to your other vehicles .One pass per license plate.To further muddy the waters. The parking pass you get with your hunting and fishing license only works on Fish and wildlife land. It does not transfer to DNR land .But the discovery pass works for all State land.
If there are any other questions I would be happy to attend to them.

Last edited:
I jacked this from Tod the WOHVA guy . I dont think he will mind to much .
If you have trouble with the DOL and dual registering rigs. This is what they need to do in a nut shell.
The basic steps:
Make a copy of the title.
Issue a "no title issued" ORV registration.
Make no changes to the existing title or street registration.

So Ive been out of the loop for a few months, and am just hearing about these discovery passes. I went to the website for them to figure out what they are for. It sure wasn't very clear on anything. I know I need several of them for different rigs. But My question is what am I actually paying for. I frequent Elbe more then anywhere, what am I going to see different now that I have to pay over $100 a year to go play up there. The website says "to keep these areas open." Sounds like a bunch of government BS to me on getting more of our money and us not seeing any return on it.

Is there a thread here that I missed that discusses this already? I know I cant be the only only one curious about where all this money is going to go.

Important! Do not try to laminate your Discover Pass. The heat from the laminating machine will turn the receipt portion black, rendering your new Discover pass useless.

Important! Do not try to laminate your Discover Pass. The heat from the laminating machine will turn the receipt portion black, rendering your new Discover pass useless.

True, but if you go to Office Max and buy the "sticky" laminate sheets it won't turn it black. :awesomework:

I spoke with a WDFW officer yesterday. He told me that one of the State Parks people told him that people were laminating their passes and then using dry erase markers to write the license plates on the pass then placing clear tape of the dry erase and to look out for "those people". His response to me was that he could care less because he had better things to do that write what comes down to parking tickets. :awesomework: He said the only time he personally will use his authority to enforce the pass is to move tweekers and gangs activity out of an area.

So Ive been out of the loop for a few months, and am just hearing about these discovery passes. I went to the website for them to figure out what they are for. It sure wasn't very clear on anything. I know I need several of them for different rigs. But My question is what am I actually paying for. I frequent Elbe more then anywhere, what am I going to see different now that I have to pay over $100 a year to go play up there. The website says "to keep these areas open." Sounds like a bunch of government BS to me on getting more of our money and us not seeing any return on it.

Is there a thread here that I missed that discusses this already? I know I cant be the only only one curious about where all this money is going to go.

I am hoping the dual registration is acceptable for 4x4's but have been unable to get any "official" communication from DNR to confirm that. We have protested LOUDLY to DNR officials and are hoping for the best.

What I do know for a fact is that 82% of all money gathered from OHV licenses/permits in Washington goes DIRECTLY to motorized trails. By law, only 18% can be used for "administration".

Also a fact - of the $71 million per year that Washington State hopes to glean from the sale of Discover Passes, only a portion of 8% of the total will go directly to motorized trails. That meaning 84% (roughly $60 million) goes to State Parks, 8% (or $5.7 million) goes to Fish & Wildlife and 8% (or $5.7 million) goes to DNR. DNR will decide how to best utilize their 8% and will distribute only a portion to motorized recreation.

My point being; if dual registration is acceptable in lieu of a Discover Pass on DNR lands, it would be in the best interest of motorized enthusiasts to pursue dual registration rather than a Discover Pass for your 4x4.

Hope this helps...

Crystal

Last edited:
OHV tabs should be OK under the current law for vechicle with plates but it will be challenged in the courts or the law will be cleaned up. Remember this is all about generating money for the state so the law will be adjusted to maximize profits.

Word is starting in September, not having SOME form of documentation (Be that whatever that is that's acceptable...) will result in a ticket...I will confirm this week.

I am hoping the dual registration is acceptable for 4x4's but have been unable to get any "official" communication from DNR to confirm that. We have protested LOUDLY to DNR officials and are hoping for the best.

What I do know for a fact is that 82% of all money gathered from OHV licenses/permits in Washington goes DIRECTLY to motorized trails. By law, only 18% can be used for "administration".

Also a fact - of the $71 million per year that Washington State hopes to glean from the sale of Discover Passes, only a portion of 8% of the total will go directly to motorized trails. That meaning 84% (roughly $60 million) goes to State Parks, 8% (or $5.7 million) goes to Fish & Wildlife and 8% (or $5.7 million) goes to DNR. DNR will decide how to best utilize their 8% and will distribute only a portion to motorized recreation.

My point being; if dual registration is acceptable in lieu of a Discover Pass on DNR lands, it would be in the best interest of motorized enthusiasts to pursue dual registration rather than a Discover Pass for your 4x4.

Hope this helps...

Crystal

Just pointing something out. The ORV tab funds % do not go directly to the trails. They go directly into the NOVA account. We all know how that works out right?

Absolutely true!....Case in point....Right now the DNR has plans to replace a bridge in Sultan Basin with the Discovery pass money.....How many motorized trails are there in Sultan basin?:rolleyes:

But all things being equal, the better option for a visible return is definately the ORV tabs for your wheeler. Either way, you're paying for it. Bonus, with the Discover pass, even the hikers are paying.

Just pointing something out. The ORV tab funds % do not go directly to the trails. They go directly into the NOVA account. We all know how that works out right?

Wanna spend money towards ORV parks? Buy a shovel and chainsaw then go to a work party.

Then wheel guilt free without buying a disco pass or ORV tabs.