• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Do any of you guys run Emulsion vs remote res Coilovers?

matth_85 said:
The Pro-Fenders seem to be a pretty good shock and bump for the money though. Downside is the shock body is steel. Not really a big deal if you keep your rig inside and take care of it though. There is an article somewhere comparing the bumps to a Fox. Pretty much identical.

I priced them compared to Fox's when I re-bought shocks and they were about the same?

Could be. But they are all remote resi's right? I was thinking they were a touch cheaper shock and that was comparing to a std. emulsion. Also thought the bumps were a touch cheaper and came with cans?

I could def. be wrong and things could have changed since I looked at them.

Its been a year or two since I priced them so I'm sure things may have changed? But yes, I was pricing remote res.

Personally I wouldn't use foa's if someone gave me a set, iirc theres a member here who had the top blow off one of their bumpstops and blew a hole thru the headrest of his (unoccupied) passenger seat.

There's a vendor for poly performance on pirate4x4 who can get you a really good price on fox's with free shipping, they will also valve how you want them and install tender springs for free

Pm This guy

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/members/65chevy4x4.html

I sent him a PM. We will see what he says.

Question....?

I looked at the FOA sight and they only offerered dual rate stuff for the 14" Emulsions. Not triple rate/tender stuff was listed. When I go to look at Fox they dont list anything....dual or triple rate, NO options other than length. Is that something included or do they tack it on after you order.

Forgive my ignorance but never had coilovers.....just coil springs and leafs. I guess I still need the triple rate / tender on an emulsion?

You will have to pay for the triple rate stuff. If you get your spring rates right and have some pre load you shouldn't need a tender coil.

Fox's come with dual rate hardware. Some companies include the dual rate stuff, others sell it separately, there's not really a "standard" for it. Tripple-rate is an add-on for everyone because its not very commonly needed / wanted.

matth_85 said:
You will have to pay for the triple rate stuff. If you get your spring rates right and have some pre load you shouldn't need a tender coil.

This......if you have your spring rates right and are able to get in the correct amount of preload and be at your preferred ride height then you don't need tenders, i didn't know about that when i ordered my shocks, just got the same setup my friends were using.

Ok so maybe yall can help me out. Running a hulled out Toyota 4Runner body.....no wiring, heat, AC, nothing. Will add back min wiring, Mojave heater, PRP seats/harnesses. Will be exo caged, factory frame chopped off at firewall and replaced with 2x3, 3link front / 4 rear. D60/14 bolt, 5.3L LS,TH350, 241/205 doubler on 43" SX and H1 beadlocks. Im setting at full stuff right now for buildup and Im 21 +/- to bottom of frame. Will raise 6"ish for ride height. Can yall get me close on spring rates? I know 2.5" ID springs but not sure on length or anthing about rates. Hopefully I can get around that tender stuff too. Thanks booyang

One other thing. Bumpstops....? Is there anything besides airbumps that are effective? Normal old bumpstops? Nothing?

matth_85 said:
Could be. But they are all remote resi's right? I was thinking they were a touch cheaper shock and that was comparing to a std. emulsion. Also thought the bumps were a touch cheaper and came with cans?

I could def. be wrong and things could have changed since I looked at them.

BTW, Fox's on Poly's site are $5.95 CHEAPER than Profender's site. Granted, no one ever pays what the websites advertise.

I would guess maybe 200/250 & 150/200 would be pretty close?.........if you can, get your springs from someone local (so you don't have to ship back and forth to cali) someone who will let you swap them if they are wrong.

When choosing your springs. I would advise a 16" lower spring and a 14" upper spring when used on a 14" travel shock. Springs this length and a couple inches of preload on the springs with the shock off the rig will eliminate the need for a triple rate kit.

I've been looking lately too at coilovers. From what I'm getting triple rate kit is extra. I think 50 a shock. On most the duel rate kit is included with the shock. I had sway a ways before and if price is close that's what I will buy.

Toddy

I ordered all my shocks through www.eshocks.com They only carry fox bilstien and sway away You have to buy springs separate but 279$ for fox 16" emulsion Or just buy for E.O.R and they'll get you setup perfect and take all the guess work out of it

NTIDWELL said:
I ordered all my shocks through www.eshocks.com They only carry fox bilstien and sway away You have to buy springs separate but 279$ for fox 16" emulsion Or just buy for E.O.R and they'll get you setup perfect and take all the guess work out of it
Smartest thing you ever said.

First thing you need to decide is how stiff or soft of a suspension you want. The triple rate is designed to allow you to have a stiff suspension and still have ample droop length. You only need to buy 2 mains when you get your shocks, will most likely be 250 or 300lbs/in. Mount your shocks and use springs to weight sprung weight, make sure buggy is level on opposite end when weighing. After you have weighed you calculate what uppers you need to get combined spring rate you want. Air bumps are a luxury i dont need, if you configure your dual rate right and adjust single rate slider to where you are on single rate main at close to bump it will slow you down alot and can use poly bumps. This is a subject that you just have to read up on to really understand all the different ways you can go with coilovers to cater to your riding style.

you definitely need bumps as well as limits. Shock should never be bottoming or topping out , this will cause failure over time. You will have to cycle axle to see how much and where you need bumps/limits.

Can't believe nobody has referenced the Coilover Bible on Pirate.

Read all of this you can and you will learn a lot about coilovers. I say Fox emulsion would be all you need. Great thing about Fox is that Poly Performance has basically every single replacement part you could ever need, should you ever have a problem out of them.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/coilovers/Part_1/

Re: Re: Do any of you guys run Emulsion vs remote res Coilovers?

I have brand new Fox emulsion 2.0 x 14's sitting in my shop awaiting my front end 4 link job. Ordered through EOR, came with PAC Racing springs. Talked to Jimmy Penner about my truck and sent him pics/specs of my rig, and how much shaft of the coilover I intended on showing at ride height (I'm gonna have very little uptravel), and he sent shocks with 100/200 springrates, 16" lower and 14" upper spring. I also think they will work with you too if you need to swap out the springs for heavier/lighter later on. That's about the best bet for you, unless you end up reading enough and learning enough to feel confident to order and set up your own **** separately.

Cheapest place I found 14's online were ebay and cheapest place for springs was Wide Open Design's website. So there's you a good starting point if you want to choose your own spring rates. The valving of my shocks are just plain stock valving that you get unless otherwise specified. Can't remember exactly what it was, 30/70 or 50/70 or something like that.

u9ygyjag.jpg

Here's my rig they are going on. The 100/200 may work perfect, may have to change it up a bit. Who knows, time will tell....but Jimmy Penner is supposed to be the fawkin' man at suspension tech, so maybe it ends up being pretty close.

anury2uj.jpg

Neal3000 said:
Personally I wouldn't use foa's if someone gave me a set, iirc theres a member here who had the top blow off one of their bumpstops and blew a hole thru the headrest of his (unoccupied) passenger seat.

There's a vendor for poly performance on pirate4x4 who can get you a really good price on fox's with free shipping, they will also valve how you want them and install tender springs for free

Pm This guy

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/members/65chevy4x4.html

Well he got back to me with $1668 with 4 14" Fox Emulsions w/dual rate hardware and main springs for $1668 shipped. Trip rate added $154 bucks. Hows that sound? I might just call Jimmy. I like the **** out of that guy. Super cool when I met him when I bought my 321 chassis and knows his crap. I wouldnt mind throwing him a little extra bone because it would probably be right the first time. I originally wanted to go with ORI's till I priced them.....geez!