• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Do any of you guys run Emulsion vs remote res Coilovers?

Glen1978 said:
Well he got back to me with $1668 with 4 14" Fox Emulsions w/dual rate hardware and main springs for $1668 shipped. Trip rate added $154 bucks. Hows that sound? I might just call Jimmy. I like the **** out of that guy. Super cool when I met him when I bought my 321 chassis and knows his crap. I wouldnt mind throwing him a little extra bone because it would probably be right the first time. I originally wanted to go with ORI's till I priced them.....geez!
Jimmy Penner Is the suspension man. All 8 links on my old buggy were the same length and he tuned my junk to be incredible. Shocks are preference to person so it will take you swapping springs a few times with him telling how it reacts but he knows his ****!!!!

Glen1978 said:
Well he got back to me with $1668 with 4 14" Fox Emulsions w/dual rate hardware and main springs for $1668 shipped. Trip rate added $154 bucks. Hows that sound? I might just call Jimmy. I like the **** out of that guy. Super cool when I met him when I bought my 321 chassis and knows his crap. I wouldnt mind throwing him a little extra bone because it would probably be right the first time. I originally wanted to go with ORI's till I priced them.....geez!

Call around, when i bought mine a few years ago nobody could beat their price locally or amoung all the vendors on pirate

Best price i have found on springs is thru Dave's Offroad

Re: Re: Do any of you guys run Emulsion vs remote res Coilovers?

TacomaJD said:
I have brand new Fox emulsion 2.0 x 14's sitting in my shop awaiting my front end 4 link job. Ordered through EOR, came with PAC Racing springs. Talked to Jimmy Penner about my truck and sent him pics/specs of my rig, and how much shaft of the coilover I intended on showing at ride height (I'm gonna have very little uptravel), and he sent shocks with 100/200 springrates, 16" lower and 14" upper spring. I also think they will work with you too if you need to swap out the springs for heavier/lighter later on. That's about the best bet for you, unless you end up reading enough and learning enough to feel confident to order and set up your own **** separately.

Cheapest place I found 14's online were ebay and cheapest place for springs was Wide Open Design's website. So there's you a good starting point if you want to choose your own spring rates. The valving of my shocks are just plain stock valving that you get unless otherwise specified. Can't remember exactly what it was, 30/70 or 50/70 or something like that.

u9ygyjag.jpg

Here's my rig they are going on. The 100/200 may work perfect, may have to change it up a bit. Who knows, time will tell....but Jimmy Penner is supposed to be the fawkin' man at suspension tech, so maybe it ends up being pretty close.

anury2uj.jpg

Man those are some light spring rates for the front, Jimmy must be into the new trend on that which is good for you, you will almost def need some tuning work i think, which will all be for the better in the end for you :dblthumb:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Do any of you guys run Emulsion vs remote res Coilovers?

Neal3000 said:
Man those are some light spring rates for the front, Jimmy must be into the new trend on that which is good for you, you will almost def need some tuning work i think, which will all be for the better in the end for you :dblthumb:

:dblthumb:

Light springs, heavy valving

Re: Re: Re: Re: Do any of you guys run Emulsion vs remote res Coilovers?

Neal3000 said:

Kinda what I thought. No idea how accurate this theory would be, but maybe since I only plan on running like 4-5" of shaft showing, that this will allow me to put a lot of preload on the spring and it not ride really high and also no need for triple rate? Spring swapping won't be an issue, I just really don't know how it will work until it's sitting on them and I get to drive it around.

But you know how my theories go, they are usually wrong lol.

Brock's black ext cab Tacoma with a supercharged v6 in it was running 100/300 spring rates on 12" c/o's on the front, leaf sprung rear. Looked like it rode soft, but also looked like they done well to me - the untrained eye.

Do you guys have any experience running the shaft mount bump stops from Poly? The ones that slide over the shaft and are on the ID of the spring....got to pricing and thinkin if I gotta run air bumps I might as well just pony up for ORIs. The airbumps just get em out of price point. No jumping...maybe some high speed hill assaults tho.

Well found a set of 14" ORIs for $2k. I need to jump on those pretty quick if thats what I wana do. Gona call Jimmy P in the mornin and pick his brain on some Fox 2.o emulsions and see what he thinks about the poly bumps in the springs. If I habe to run air bumps I think the ORIs are gona look alot better. Give me your thoughts.

molaugh
Glen1978 said:
Do you guys have any experience running the shaft mount bump stops from Poly? The ones that slide over the shaft and are on the ID of the spring....got to pricing and thinkin if I gotta run air bumps I might as well just pony up for ORIs. The airbumps just get em out of price point. No jumping...maybe some high speed hill assaults tho.

Are you talking about those rubber bumps that slide over the shaft?

Yeah polyperformance sells em....they are like 2" thick or so. Theres got to be a cheaper alternative that works besides air bumps. Coilovers have been around forever but air bumps havent.
Neal3000 said:
molaugh
Are you talking about those rubber bumps that slide over the shaft?

If your not racing or doing insane rock bouncing ****, just trail riding then imo those are fine, Thats all i had for a couple years and they worked ok

Cool deal. I just got off the phone with CJ at EOR and he said the same thing. Got a good price on the coilovers too. He said stay away from the ORIs....lol

Re:

And depending on your set up, those bumps on the shock may not bump your suspension early enough to prevent axle housing/components jamming into the **** under your chassis. I have fixed bump stops on my front end to limit up travel since everything is so crammed and the same fixed bump stops will be used when I link it also. It's just square tubing with little rubber cone shaped bump stops screwed in the end of it. The little rubber things are on ebay for like $12 a pair or something and scrap tubing can be used to make the shaft of the bump stop.

Re:

TacomaJD said:
And depending on your set up, those bumps on the shock may not bump your suspension early enough to prevent axle housing/components jamming into the **** under your chassis. I have fixed bump stops on my front end to limit up travel since everything is so crammed and the same fixed bump stops will be used when I link it also. It's just square tubing with little rubber cone shaped bump stops screwed in the end of it. The little rubber things are on ebay for like $12 a pair or something and scrap tubing can be used to make the shaft of the bump stop.

Im building this rig at full stuff so NOTHING should contact a thing "in theory"....LOL! You got a link to those things? Ive seen em but havent seen where to get um. I also seen some stuff about the Timbren stops also. Just dont wana drop the coin on bumps. $800 for 4 of them in cans plus the fab work to mount em. I may regret it but think I can get around it.

If you set everything up right and get your coilovers perfect you don't need bumpstops, just limit straps.