• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Do you feel that you can fabricate on a level that its acceptable to charge for?

SomewhiteGuy

Due to recent thread in tech, simple question of are you good enough that people that pay you to do a job are not getting ripped off?

Re: Re: Do you feel that you can fabricate on a level that its acceptable to charge for?

Someone would have to pay me in more than beer for me to make that call.

:****:

Yes

But I dont do work for other people unless its like my closest of friends and they help.
I turn down so much work its not even funny. I honestly think I could hire a guy to work in my shop and keep him slammed, and still cover all expenses.
But....its a got'damn hassle.

I have done some fab work for hire, mostly axle swaps, suspension, adding cage bars and bumpers. And almost all of it for friends. after finishing my buggy last year, I feel confident enough to take on a project of that size, depending on the customer/attitude/schedule. I don't have all the time saving tools/methods mastered so I try and price my stuff reasonably, but still where it's worth my time. but then again, it's not my day job....

I do a pretty good job of faking it. Seriously though, I have been doing work for other people since 2004 and other than one issue with a kid who had major fab work done to a jeep his parents bought for him (the parents wanted the jeep returned back to stock) I have never had any issues with any of my customers other than it taking to long to get the work done. Most of the time those issues were caused on waiting for parts, or them adding more fab work to their build.

Hell no! But my welding does look better than that abortion in said thread. I do have a good buddy that hooks me up from the fab side though.

I hope so cuz I've been getting paid to do it for a while. :****:

Hell, according to one magazine article we were in, me & ol 5 bros are certified engineers. Reckon I can print that off and put that on my resume?
We've got parts worldwide and ain't kilt nobody yet as far as I know.

I will admit that I'd rather be doing one-offs instead of production runs. But right now it's whatever pays the bills.

If you're going to build offroad stuff for money, its easier to build what you want then sell it. Trying to build whats in someone elses mind ends up with a sandy vag on one side or the other 90% of the time.

This is something I've always wanted to do. Too scared to give up a great job to try. I normally just find whoever is building something and offer to weld it all out after it's tacked together. That's enough to calm the desire to build stuff.

I cant weld but I can learn...

In the past I was in partnership, big mistake, with a performance shop I did all right just picked a bad partner in a shop saturated area..... :woody:

lowbudgetjunk said:
Hell no! But my welding does look better than that abortion in said thread. I do have a good buddy that hooks me up from the fab side though.
My response exactly. I even have a good buddy who I get the buddy discount from.

AdamF said:
If you're going to build offroad stuff for money, its easier to build what you want then sell it. Trying to build whats in someone elses mind ends up with a sandy vag on one side or the other 90% of the time.

Truth

To answer the question , yes.
I work as a heavy equipment field service mechanic for Caterpillar 50+ hours a week. I deal with other peoples big problems daily. It is my career and keeps my family stable.
I only do fab / mechanic work for close friends who need the help, usually in return for helping me somehow. and never accept $$ in return.

The minute you begin to charge for you work things change and you have to treat it as a business.
I prefer to keep my friends and business separate. That way I can enjoy all this off road stuff as simply a hobby and not loose a friend over a couple buck$.

AdamF said:
This aint no ****. X10000000

RustyC said:
To answer the question , yes.
I work as a heavy equipment field service mechanic for Caterpillar 50+ hours a week. I deal with other peoples big problems daily. It is my career and keeps my family stable.
I only do fab / mechanic work for close friends who need the help, usually in return for helping me somehow. and never accept $$ in return.

The minute you begin to charge for you work things change and you have to treat it as a business.
I prefer to keep my friends and business separate. That way I can enjoy all this off road stuff as simply a hobby and not loose a friend over a couple buck$.
X2

I do a good bit of vehicle repairs weather stock or modified and ive built 4 sets of tube fenders and done quiet a few bumpers along with doing lift kits built a few bagged trucks. Its way to much of a hassle to quit my day job but i do enjoy it and it puts a little extra cash in the "buy nice tools" fund

This question though it asks for a yes or no type answer isn't that simple. Just like most all person to person sales the value is set by what bone will take and the other will pay.

Anyone can fabricate. Anyone! But the person paying for the services is responsible for finding a fabricator who suits their desired quality, and skill level. Do your research or take it to a buddy, but it all starts with the customers choice of fabricator.