• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Do you feel that you can fabricate on a level that its acceptable to charge for?

I like fabricating but I quickly realized that I would only be doing it for friends and only on my schedule. The last paying job I did was a huge winch bumper for a 93 Chevy. It came out good but it ended up taking me nearly a year to complete it and I really short changed myself on the quote but I stuck to what I told him anyway. I didn't have the tools or time to allow me to do it in a more timely fashion. I also didn't have the truck on site to test fit so it was a pain in the ass. From that point on, I decided that anything I built would be on my own time and if anyone wanted it they could buy it.

RustyC said:
To answer the question , yes.
I work as a heavy equipment field service mechanic for Caterpillar 50+ hours a week. I deal with other peoples big problems daily. It is my career and keeps my family stable.
I only do fab / mechanic work for close friends who need the help, usually in return for helping me somehow. and never accept $$ in return.

The minute you begin to charge for you work things change and you have to treat it as a business.
I prefer to keep my friends and business separate. That way I can enjoy all this off road stuff as simply a hobby and not loose a friend over a couple buck$.

I'm in the same boat as you I'm a H/E mech.(CAT, Komatsu, Deere etc.) And millwright(when needed) at a mill. I only do work for friends, no $$ involved.

Latest posts