• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Does color really matter?

5onrocks said:
Red, Black and Chrome. 90% of everything I own are these colors. It can be gloss black or flat black but the red has to be fire engine red.
There you go, a red head waring black leather riding a crome Harley.

nhl_bullitt said:
What is the norm for peeps that scratch the crap out of their powder coat often, because it will pretty much happen to anybody that wheels? Find a can of paint that best matches or...?

I have found that DupliColor has a vast array of colors that can be reproduced by power coating, if that's the direction you are heading in. The problem I have found with powder coating is that it is very thick and when it gets chipped, it's hard to match the thickness with just spray paint. Half of my chassis is powdercoat and the top half is paint. That's just mine though and I find myself upside too frequent. thumb.gif

CHASMAN9 said:
I have found that DupliColor has a vast array of colors that can be reproduced by power coating, if that's the direction you are heading in. The problem I have found with powder coating is that it is very thick and when it gets chipped, it's hard to match the thickness with just spray paint. Half of my chassis is powdercoat and the top half is paint. That's just mine though and I find myself upside too frequent. thumb.gif

Gregs color matches really good. I would have never guessed.

I use whatever ends up being free. I work at a body shop and when I was ready to paint my jeep I had the painter put all the left over paint in a gallon can. It took about 3 weeks to get a gallon of base.Luckily we had a run of white, silver,& pearls.

CHASMAN9 said:

You would not have to touch your up if you just painted it a tree bark color! :flipoff1:

blacksheep10 said:
$18/can my powder coater can put any color they do in a rattle can

Really? That's good to know. I wonder if most powder coating places do that? So you could get almost any color you want in a can, $18 isn't cheap but if a person didn't want to tear a chassis back down for powder and wanted a cool color that's not bad. I might do that.

Everything I own has to look nice and clean. I look at like this, we have a small fab shop and if my stuff looks like junk sitting on the trailer its not saying much for my work and chances are your not going to be drawn to it or want to come over and check it out. When I was younger I was lucky enough to hang out with a lot of magazine guys and they always said black vehicles rarely make it in because they just don't stand out enough no matter how nice they really are. My rig is always clean when it shows up and it better look like Im going to a car show.

JohnG said:
You would not have to touch your up if you just painted it a tree bark color! :flipoff1:

Damn that hurt John, but so does the truth. Spot on sir. :dblthumb: laughing1 laughing1