• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Doubler Temps

bbtank45

Under Construction
Running a 241/205 doubler (behemoth sucks). It works well, other than it leaks at the mating surface between the two boxes. Anyway, the 241 holds about a 1/2 quart of ATF and seems to heat up more than I would expect...enough to where you cant touch it for more than a few seconds. My exhaust isnt close, probably 8-10" away. The th350 usually operates around 140-180 degrees so i cant imagine theres a lot of heat transfer from trans to tcase.

While on obstacles, I wheel in low low generally shifting the th350 between 1st and 2nd gear. Once out of the obstacle, i shift the 241 to high and cruise to the next obstacle.

How much heat is "too much"? Do i have anything to worry about or just top it off and roll on?

NWF recommends running 75w90 full synthetic gear oil in their planetary doubler, and changing it whenever you do an engine oil change

Thanks Nick. I was able to get in touch with Kris @ NWF. The high temps are to be expected....i could cook my trail lunch on that biotch.

For the leak I was shown not long ago to use yamahabond to seal the case in a T caase setup :dblthumb:

Kris from NWF is great. He and I worked over the phone to build my box. It came 100% as we discussed. Unusual

When I had some fitment issues along with measurement concerns he spent all the time we needed to work through it.

Give him a call sometime and thank him for his product support. He only gets calls about issues. Lol

Latest posts