• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

DT466 or Cat 3126? Any diesel techs?

B Gillespie

International 4700, indentical platforms, late 90's-early '00 vintage. Which is better, longer lasting, easier to service, are both wet sleeve, power roughly equivilant?

:fish:

in those trucks the 466 is a little cheaper to maintain both are easy to service and make plenty of power for the trucks
the cat i think may have a little more but if you know someone at a international dealer they can turn the 466 up some
we have severl in out fleet at work and they have in excess of 360000 miles on the 466's
most i have ever done is clutch, brakes, and a steering box
these are in county trucks and live a hard life especially with our drivers
on the 466 the have been known to hiccup an kill an injector on rare occasions
also in those model 4700's watch out the instuments likke to crap out and the panel is over 500 bucks

most people i talk to are not a big fan of the 466's. seem to be under powered for most of the applications they are in. usually people wish they had a CAT or Cummins engine. depending on what your plans are for the truck, the 466 may be enough though.

I had a DT466 in a toterhome once. It was just OK for power. It was only 230 hp and couldnt be turned up due to it was at the limit of the gvw of the truck. Governed by the VIN.

For reliability and starting every day the 466 but most is 215-230 hp definitely no power house but a 2 speed rear end will help a lot. The cat IMO is more noisy and is not as easy to service but probably has a little more hp but also cat parts are never cheap. I had a 96 IH for a service truck it ran many days never getting shut off till I was back in my driveway. It was no doubt the most dependable truck I have had

The 466, but most are 215-230 horsepower, is reliable and starts every day. It's not a powerhouse, but a two-speed rear end would assist a lot. The cat, in my opinion, is noisier and more difficult to repair, but it probably has a bit more horsepower, and cat parts are never cheap. I had a 96 IH service truck that ran for days on end, never shutting down until I got back in my driveway. It was, without a question, the most dependable.