• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ECORS Stock Class build - TTB Bronco - IFS Toyota

Hell it's all tube now, no need for a poll...

• WIN!

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Upside down and on fire?

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters

TBItoy

I've been wanting to do some racing and have a "go fast" trail rig for those fire roading trips.

I thought about building a Ranger or a Toyota, but my ol FSB seems like a sold choice. I mean HELL, it already has "Baja" style bumpers... :afro:

Specs:
89 Bronco 103K miles
351W efi
C6
BW1356
D44 TTB front
8.8 rear (have 9" to replace it)

2011-09-14144324.jpg

2011-09-14144410.jpg

My plans initally:

Suspension: remote resi 2.5" FOX shocks at all 4 corners, some 2" lift springs for the front, stock springs in the rear wtih traction bars.

Drivetrain: fix leaks/exhaust on the motor, trans is fine, BIG cooler for trans, new u-joints throughout, modify front shafts for full circle clips, open front diff, 9" swap in rear with discs and spool.

Interior: Corbeau XPs and 5 points, plus fire extinguishers, safety equip, etc.

My main debate on starting the rig is what I want to do with the body.
Debating doing a full tube rig with rear radiator like Davids "Lil Digger"
attachment.php

Or maybe save some time and $ on mounting steering/pedals/shifters/gauges/wiring etc and build a "firewall buggy", mostly tube, but stock firewall/dash/controls like my 4runner
2011-08-13131612.jpg

My last option is just doin an interior cage and removing doors/glass/tailgate.
^ I'm kinda leaning toward this just for simplicity, but I'd really like to cut the weight of the sheet metal and make the "body" smaller with one of the above options...

I think I can get this thing read to race for around $5-6K. The $1600 in shocks is a pretty big hit on that budget...

Any thoughts on this? am I ****in up somewhere? will I be competitive?(assuming i can figure out that "driving" part...)

Oh, and does anyone wanna sponsor me ;D I could always use welding wire or beer thumb.gif

Re: ECORS Stock Class build - TTB Bronco

i like it, i think that's going to be a great platform for a A classer, personally i would keep the body but trim the fat and make it as light as possible, lose the doors, tailgate, backseat, and all the glass, trim the fenders, move the radiator to the back (mud will build up on it in the front and overheat it, that or someone will back into you and smash into the engine) and get some suspension seats and harnesses

A class racing imo is where it's at man, it looks like a blast!

I'm thinking a simple build and some maintenance/relibility prep would go a long ways for stock class racing.

I'll build some more solild motor mounts and trans mounts and crossmembers to keep the drivetrain in place.

I'm going to the ECORS race at windrock to help out Roger King (extremetownie/ Flat Biller Killer). pretty sure i'll be hooked, but I've never raced before. Hell, I never even played competitive sports... :****:

TBItoy said:
I'm thinking a simple build and some maintenance/relibility prep would go a long ways for stock class racing.

I'm going to the ECORS race at windrock to help out Roger King (extremetownie/ Flat Biller Killer). pretty sure i'll be hooked, but I've never raced before. Hell, I never even played competitive sports... :****:

reliability is huge, there is something like a 50- 60% failure rate.....you will be amazed at how fast and competitive A class racing is.....it is usually the largest class to so the payouts are good for 1-3 finishers

Neal3000 said:
reliability is huge, there is something like a 50- 60% failure rate.....you will be amazed at how fast and competitive A class racing is.....it is usually the largest class to so the payouts are good for 1-3 finishers

That's the plan.

Keep 'er running and WIN!

Right now I'm budgeting and ordering seats/harnesses, and all the **** that needs to be fixed on it.

I'm going to weigh it this week to get a baseline, i'd really like to cut at least 500lbs off of it.

Right now I NEED: I'll take any donations and run any stickers/banners advertisement available, plus plug any donations/hook ups/discounts on Hardline and Pirate loller.gif thumb.gif

285/75-16 or 305/7016 tires, any pattern/wear.

Headers/exhaust for the 351W

Spare drive shafts

Lights

Air bumps

Shocks

-all my fluids/grease/aerosols for the build will be provided by JAX INC "America's Finest Industrial Lubricants" www.jax.com

I'm planning on running A-Class next year, and giving it a decent effort.

I was debating stripping the bronco and running the body, or going to a full tube "topper" chassis.

Well, I wrecked the **** out of the bronc on the way back from the creek one night, so it made up my mind for me.

2011-11-12093005.jpg

Got it stripped down and the wiring harness cut down to just engine function... Started the motor up and forgot that I had cut the trans cooler lines with bolt cutters, so it proceded to make a fan spray akin to that of a large agricultural sprayer and soaked me and one shop door before I could get the ring terminals off the battery...:shaking::shaking:

2011-12-04192609.jpg

2011-12-04192548.jpg

My "helper" likes her new bed... and has the "WTF" look while I'm chopping up wires like a butcher in the deli
2011-12-04192621.jpg

Not much new and exciting to report.
Hauled off the old body and ****.. About 1700 lbs worth!!!

2011-12-09125939.jpg

Got the motor resealed and back together, got all my new fuel lines made up, and waiting on my C6 from KillerB. C6 will be full manual, standard pattern valve body, built with all the good parts:huggy:

2012-01-19003454.jpg

Also started on the 9" for the rear, got some bitchin disc brake bracket from Speedway motors for $10 each. They use standard GM metric "small" calipers. Got loaded calipers, soft lines, and hardware for the front of an 85 Monte Carlo from ROCKAUTO. Still need to order my cutting brake master.

2012-01-06133334.jpg

Found my grille also, it was in the back of a K5 blazer that I sold my buddy Gabe about a month ago LOL
2012-01-19003602.jpg

Oh yeah, and I picked up some NEW Corbeau Baja Ultra SS Wides and Crow 5 pt harnesses and this old grungy 8274 from Gabe. need to tear into the 8274 and make sure she's good to go in case of another Windrock winchfest. I'll be flyin up tha hills on Warn power!

2012-01-19003542.jpg

zukiscott said:
When you gonna try and have it done by :dunno:

Scott

Well the first race is March 17. So I'm gonna try like hell to get it "raceable" by then. Probably wont have all the details finished, but the next race is May 19, so I'll have another 2 months to finish up.

IF I can't get it together and race ready by March 17, I'm gonna take my buddy's 85 toyota and run an easy race just to acquire some team points.

I'll be in B class brother, wouldn't be too bad for you to make the jump! Just get you a full width 44 and sas that baby! :driving:

Mine-
408007_255287924544641_100001903051846_607965_1393219923_n.jpg

5BrothersFabrication said:
I'll be in B class brother, wouldn't be too bad for you to make the jump! Just get you a full width 44 and sas that baby! :driving:

Sweet rig!

Thats the back up plan. Race A class this year on the TTB, then IF, and that's a big IF, swap in a Hp 60 front with light weight 5 lug hubs and 3/4ton brakes and link it front and rear on some 37s

But honestly, driving the bronco in bone stock form on fire roads and easy trails was really fun, but not safe at all. I really think that I'll like it with TTB.

Hell, I guess I could run A and B class. Especially if I get some gee-whiz-bang fancy shocks on there, and some ARB air lockers for selectable traction goodness.

Picked up some Corbeau Baja Ultra SS Wides and Crow 5 pts.

2012-01-19191605.jpg

also got a BIG fire extinguisher and a "race jack" that need to get mounted somewhere. Anyone got the hook up on some of those sweet quick disconnect mounts?

2012-01-19191716.jpg

hit a lil snag today. Tore into the 3rd from the 9" to prep it. Someone had been into it before, bearing adjusters were scarred up from a chisel/screwdriver. So I clamped the 3rd up and torqued the spanners down 2 notches each with the PROPER TOOL, a homebuilt spanner bar. This got the carrier bearing preload up to where I like it. Also checked torque on bearing caps, 95 ft-lbs good.

2012-01-21174815.jpg

Then I thought I should pull the ring gear bolts and clean/loctite/retorque them given the 9" history of loose ring gear bolts...

I removed every other bolt and cleaned them up. Bolts were kinda loose, and cleaning them up revealed evidence of this... Threads messed up, bolts streched, etc... Dammit.

2012-01-21174928.jpg

Now I really need a full rebuild/install kit to R&R the diff before I'll run it. Looks like a sponsorship opportunity! :D

This sums up my feelings on the findings in the diff :flipoff2:
2012-01-21175043.jpg

So the 9" is going on the back burner now, I'll leave the welded 8.8" in the back until I can get my parts together.

All was not lost though, I found these LONG 14" travel yellow billys on one of my parts shelves. I ordered them 2-3 years ago and never used them. They'll work fine on the outboarded on the back untill I can get some 2.5" remote resi shocks.

2012-01-21180934.jpg

And I whipped up some super HD engine mounts, both factory mounts tore apart in the roll, so I knew I'd need some good ones for racing. I'll finish the frame side mount when I swing the motor back in the chassis. I fgure since I used some old 1/4" angle iron for the base, I could throw a coat of bling-bling paint on em!

2012-01-21220125.jpg

2012-01-21220905.jpg

Also got a load of aersols from JAX. America's Finest Penetrating Oil, Peel Off Degreaser, and Brake Cleaner. Definitely helps dissassembling and cleaning up the 23 years of rust and grime on this bronc.

2012-01-21181303.jpg

5BrothersFabrication said:
Nice! :dblthumb: You're just gonna 'cage it and hang some Ferd body here and there?

Yep, Cut down hood and the grille center I posted above. All that is needed per ECORS rules.

I dig it. You need to bump up to B class, we can play cat and mouse through the woods! :driving:
Also, I have an EB grille center, yours if you want it.