• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

electric over hydraulic rear steer??

1tonyj

Going to look at a buggy tomorrow that has this setup on a rear steering 60.....this is new to me. Can u guys give me some pros and cons of this system....thks!

I've never noticed anything. I know mine is real smooth going one way and kinda bouncy the other. But I've been told it's the type of pump I'm running is why it does that.

1tonyj said:
What kind of electrical demand do u guys find it puts on the vehicles system? Or is that a non issue.

It's basically a winch motor... so at full load, it'll pull a LOT of amps, like a winch.

At low load, it will pull less.

Specs are listed/available on all commonly available power packs.

Just Monday I took my buggy to wide open design to have some work done to it. I have electric rear steer on mine. It has the concentric brand from Granger. Mine has only one solenoid and a deverter valve and is good one way but jerky the other way. Adam said all the big trucks are running electric rear steer, but they run a steering system with two solenoids. Mine will pull up to two hundred amps at full load but I have never seen that. The worst thing is the steering switch. I'm going to get a new motor with two solenoids and a new joy stick. I will use my old motor for my ramps on my equipment trailer. I have no problem with electric rear steer, but I did find mine one morning after washing it with the rear tires turned all the way and the battery dead. So watch water in the switch. I do like hyd Steering better but electric is easier to install since I have an old school big chevy with v belts. My .02

Ya they draw a lot! It is a starter or winch motor so when it's runnin it's pulling some juice, I have run one for years and it's never failed , no complaints but I too am going with a second pump just so there isn't that motor in the back and the electrical draw, always pressure to the valve as well , I'd use it if it's already on it... See what ya think, I always liked the idea because the two systems are seperate if you ever lost a steering belt or blew a line but in 8 years of useing it that was only ever an issue once for me

Re:

Maybe to help clarify, there are setups like most are talking here where ppl run an electric hydraulic pump for the rear steer. The other option is to run an electric valve with a std pump in place of a log splitter valve

It's an electric pump...and seems to run smooth. I bought the buggy so I'm going to run it for a while see how I like it. Thxs for the replys everyone.