• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Electric weedwackers

jeeppoor

We are sick and tired of messing gas string trimmers.
Everyone we have had sucks. It will work fine for a maybe a season. then it goes to crap. Hard to start. Doesn't want to stay running. Etc.

So looking at elec. But have ne experience with one or know anyone that has one.

So Hardline. what is a good one?

I went with the 40v kobalt, wish I'd stepped up to the 80v but it does everything I need just fine. Going electric weedeater is a game changer, I just grab it off the rack and use it, no gas, no oil, no tugging a starter rope, no going dead everytime you set it down. I wont own another gas powered weedeater. Put me down as a second recommendation for the Kobalt 80v.

d_daffron said:
I went with the 40v kobalt, wish I'd stepped up to the 80v but it does everything I need just fine. Going electric weedeater is a game changer, I just grab it off the rack and use it, no gas, no oil, no tugging a starter rope, no going dead everytime you set it down. I wont own another gas powered weedeater. Put me down as a second recommendation for the Kobalt 80v.

But it doesnt blow blue smoke and sound awesome does it??

I have put it off as long as I can and will probably buy one when we get back from Guatemala. Im glad this popped up!

I have a 24v kobalt trimmer & blower. It uses the 4.0ah batteries and has a claimed 15min run time.

I can't say I trim that much, but it works fine for me. Just trimming and edging around the house. The 40 or 80v would be more powerful.

I went 24v cuz I have other told that use the same battery.

I looked really hard at the m18 setup too for the same reason, but I got the 24v trimmer and blower for $60 over the price of just getting a 4.0ah battery.

I have a dewalt with the 60V flex battery that is 6.0AH and it is good for 2-3 full trim jobs around the house between charges. I'd say match it up with whatever cordless stuff you already have already. I hear the Milwaukee is good stuff too.

My mom has a Stihl FSA65 that I use when I'm taking care of her yard...has no problem running for 45 min. on a full charge under normal circumstances . It's a 36V lith-ion and It holds its own against homeowner grade gas trimmers.

The only bad thing is under tough trim jobs where I've missed a couple weeks it kills the battery pretty fast.

leeadam94 said:
I've got a 56v EGO that does great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've looked at those with the easy load head or whatever they call it. What amp per hour battery do you have? I'm curious as to the run time on them.

I get about 35min out of my 40v Kobalt but I despise yard work so its about knee high before I get out there and cut it so if you dont wait till your yard becomes a traffic hazard I'm sure you'd get more run time. Also mine is about 4 years old and I have yet to see a reduction in runtime. I refuse to drive 20mi to the nearest station that sells non ethanol gas so I was only getting 2 years out of the low end gas burners.

Glad to see this pop up. I've replaced a carb already on a 1 YO echo due to bad gas. Next time (which is coming because it occasionally runs like ****), I'm going to get a dewalt 20V. I have about 10 batteries of various AH and all the tools I have run great. Same goes for the echo chain saw. Every time I fire it up (which is infrequent), I expect it not to run.

Thought I posted this last night, but somehow it didn't show up this AM when I looked in the thread. Not sure what you are trying to weed wack - whether it's heavy brush or just typical trimming around the yard, but I really like my M18 Fuel. It gets 30-45 minutes on a 9 A/hr battery and will cut anything from tall brushy weeds to basic Bahia. I did manage to run it down enough to have it shut off for battery over temp once when I was clearing a lakefront of very thick 18" tall reed grass. I ran it for about 30 minutes straight, really pushing it hard and cleared an areas probably 60'x20' of solid weeds in the process. The job really should have been one for the push lawn mower, but I figured I would torture test the trimmer. Other than that. it runs flawlessly and seems to have plenty of power. Bought it as a combo with the 9 A/hr battery, charger, and the "free" M18 Fuel hedge trimmer - which also works excellently. I already had a few M18 Fuel tools, but no 9 A/hr battery, so this was a nice addition.

I have the M18 Milwaukee String Trimmer...it's awesome. With the 9ah battery I can trim everything on my .7ac lot 4-5 times before I think it needs a charge. Bonus is the battery turns the M18 grinder into a whole 'nother animal...:****:

My step dad has the 56v EGO and it works great too. Only downside I can give it is the cost of replacement batteries, size of the battery, size of the charger, and weight of the tool with the battery. Not being a sissy, but there's something to be said for a lightweight yard tool when it's 100 degrees and 100% humidity and I'm already 45mins into my yard work.

d_daffron said:
I get about 35min out of my 40v Kobalt but I despise yard work so its about knee high before I get out there and cut it so if you dont wait till your yard becomes a traffic hazard I'm sure you'd get more run time. Also mine is about 4 years old and I have yet to see a reduction in runtime. I refuse to drive 20mi to the nearest station that sells non ethanol gas so I was only getting 2 years out of the low end gas burners.

ROUNDUP!! I still havent cut my backyard because I got a little crazy with some of my chemicals. Next step in our yard is to run the weedeater for the first time and follow up with a nice dose of roundup so I wont have to do it again for three weeks.

I bought the Black and Decker Worx combo kit with the trimmer and blower off the clearance isle at Walmart. Over all packaging of boxes was nice, no damage, easy to open. I took all the shinny new stuff and layed it out on my work bench and proceeded to plug in the new batteries and start my work, batteries dead. Oh well, kit comes with a handy dandy charger, battery not too big, this shouldn't take to long. Green blink light goes to blinking, when it stops were ready!! Sweet!! 12 hours later little blinky light still going. Hmmm, dug threw trash for instructions, sure enough first charge might take 12 hours. Ok, didn't want to do yard work yesterday anyways. Snap battery in weed eater, plug in second battery to charger, and go outside.

Saftey glasses, check!!

Gloves, check!!

Spare beer in pocket, check!!

Let's do this!!!

Got a firm grab on handle, squeeze the well labeled trigger and,,,

Weed Tickler!! The single string of fury, it isn't. One blade of grass at a time.

It sucks, but it will clean up around entry step on RV when we camp. That was really all I bought it for. Barely has the balls to do that, better hurry, you got about 10 mins of action.

xjtony said:
I've looked at those with the easy load head or whatever they call it. What amp per hour battery do you have? I'm curious as to the run time on them.

I'd say non stop use, you can get 1.5-2 hours. If you just do a little here and there u can used it 5-10 times on one charge

JEEPKEVIN said:
I bought the Black and Decker Worx combo kit with the trimmer and blower off the clearance isle at Walmart. Over all packaging of boxes was nice, no damage, easy to open. I took all the shinny new stuff and layed it out on my work bench and proceeded to plug in the new batteries and start my work, batteries dead. Oh well, kit comes with a handy dandy charger, battery not too big, this shouldn't take to long. Green blink light goes to blinking, when it stops were ready!! Sweet!! 12 hours later little blinky light still going. Hmmm, dug threw trash for instructions, sure enough first charge might take 12 hours. Ok, didn't want to do yard work yesterday anyways. Snap battery in weed eater, plug in second battery to charger, and go outside.

Saftey glasses, check!!

Gloves, check!!

Spare beer in pocket, check!!

Let's do this!!!

Got a firm grab on handle, squeeze the well labeled trigger and,,,

Weed Tickler!! The single string of fury, it isn't. One blade of grass at a time.

It sucks, but it will clean up around entry step on RV when we camp. That was really all I bought it for. Barely has the balls to do that, better hurry, you got about 10 mins of action.

That **** was funny :rolf: