• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Elephant spinoff. HP vs Traction vs Weight vs $$

Jacksonwolf39 said:
Blue Toyota? If so that's my buddy Alex Watkins and it's sitting on leaf springs front and rear. Truck will hurt some feelings forsure

No. Now that I think about it, it may have been a silver samurai. Hell he went up it so fast some people did t even notice.
I'm kinda pissed cause Batman went up and beat on it for 10 mins cause BK had the camera out. I'm like "well hell if he can't make it up I don't have a chance"
So my group split off and we stayed away from the "cool kids" all day. Went back later when it cleared out a went up it.
Goes to show you rigs are only as good as their driver.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Lekz7ULamjc

poolman said:
Whats the drivetrain? Can you post a picture?

Turbo 1.3 on propane (soon to be 1.6 8v with turbo and propane) Sami 5 speed and Sami 6:5.1 case. It's simple, it works, and its reliable
0989a0fb1946724f1f0301819abefb9c.jpg
b87cfd4b293fedaa4ffc35ca1f37d4ef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TBItoy said:
I hiked 5/Crackhead at GMP in the rain and watched Mike drive the flea up that nasty grease covered mess like an access trail... I think literally the only thing it won't do better than other rigs would be big dirt hills (dumb) and maybe near vertical ledges that are 1.5x the wheelbase (very uncommon)

Most rigs are a compromise of some sort though for weight. 2 seater, storage, cooler, axles to hold up for jumping, chassis to hold up to multiple rolls, etc

He is infuriating to ride with. I will beat the **** out of mine trying to get up something and he'll back down it to spot me then drive off again. Mike is good dude though. Him and my dad go back to the early 80's wheeling together.

Jacksonwolf39 said:
Turbo 1.3 on propane (soon to be 1.6 8v with turbo and propane) Sami 5 speed and Sami 6:5.1 case. It's simple, it works, and its reliable

That is sexy. I would love to have a set up like that.

This is one of those questions that you could write a book on each has it pros and cons. I think for what most of us do weight and suspension setup are the biggest factors I dont believe hp makes that big of a difference (at least the hp difference that most trail rigs use) I have climbed alot stuff with a clapped out 350 and now run a 6.0 and dont think I know of anything that I couldn't climb bc I didn't have an extra 100hp. Now when it comes to weight that can be a hard battle to fight bc lightweight rigs work but have limitations. My buggy is 5400 but it is built to last and take a beating and not break I have rode for a year and half and literally only broke 2 times(axleshaft and broke a yoke)and I have been trying to break it since I finished it. It has been back flipped, multiple rolls and jumped alot and it still looks good and is still straight. I do notice the weight when it comes crawling but you just have to use momentum to climb stuff. This is where suspension setup comes into play without good suspension it wouldn't work worth a crap bc you wouldn't be able to use momentum.

Jacksonwolf39 said:
0989a0fb1946724f1f0301819abefb9c.jpg
b87cfd4b293fedaa4ffc35ca1f37d4ef.jpg

I'm pretty sure I met you at Choccolocco on the HL ride or at least it looks just like one that was there. And it looked like a spider monkey climbing the rocks.

Xjmarc yes that was me at chocco. That was the first ride after the 1 ton swap. And thanks guys. There's times I want more hp, but it does what I want it to do

It's fun and all doing the slow technical crawling, but being able to hammer down and smoke tires and have that v8 woopow is a whole nother level of fun. I'd venture a guess that the majority of guys who love/own the weepow rigs have never had a woopow engine. And for as many times as they "embarrass" a v8 they envy them also being able to spin the tires fast enough to clean the mud out of the tread.

I have ridden with Mike and the Flea buggy and Bill quit a bit lately. Both of them go where they point them and make it look stupid easy. Many time they have left me looking for a bypass to catch up. That being said. I personally would rather listen to that motor scream ,watch tires spin, see smoke than anything else. I think it is all good as long as you are having fun.If i had a better working suspension , i think it would be harder for them to show me up.

wizzo said:
IMO 500ish fly wheel HP and a buggy around 3500-4k is a good spot to be for a trail rig. It 100% depends on your wheeling preferences.

mine is more like 4800#, but a little over 500 crank. love the setup and seems to work really well for a big ole trail rig.

MattyB4x4 said:
Each has it's benefits. One that walks up a section can get deined on another and vice-versa.

This ^.

Yes driver, wheelbase, belly clearance, the right line ect.. are huge. But for a well built rig, it depends on what it is built for. There is definitely middle ground on trail rigs but for light weight comp vs bouncer race, I don't see a debate. No way Screaming Blue is going to crawl like a light rig. If that hurts someone's feelings they were mistaken. No way a light rig is going to fly up a bounty hill and take a savage beating.

My rig is a little heavy for crawling but that 5% of the time I get the urge to lay a strait beatdown or hit something gnarly it is worth the extra weight and parts cost to me. I am also fine adding a little weight for reliability and less damage repair.

I enjoy watching all kinds of rigs do work. Especially when they are in there element.

I still miss my old Samurai. It was stretched to 104" and linked. The 1.6 would deny me where tire speed was needed. It could never climb the last ledge on Mason Jar at Harlan. Everyone would laugh at the sound of the accelerator pedal hitting the stop before the engine revved. It did great on technical stuff.

I got rid of the RMVB on my buggy before the last Harlan ride and was struggling to climb that same Mason Jar ledge that I had been walking before. Big Sam yelled "Let off the throttle!", and it went up. Too much tire speed will deny you too.

Mine is 3500 lbs just under 300HP with the supercharger on the V6, 105" wheelbase. Could be lighter with toyota axles or something but the dana 60s provide a strength cushion as does the atlas. Does good crawling, does good with hills and wheelspeed, not the expert at either but can get around in both modes. It has been together for 4 years and never had a weekend ending breakage. I'm happy with it, its not as cool as a big V8 on the rev limiter but its what I got.

The-Boss said:
This ^.

Yes driver, wheelbase, belly clearance, the right line ect.. are huge. But for a well built rig, it depends on what it is built for. There is definitely middle ground on trail rigs but for light weight comp vs bouncer race, I don't see a debate. No way Screaming Blue is going to crawl like a light rig. If that hurts someone's feelings they were mistaken. No way a light rig is going to fly up a bounty hill and take a savage beating.

My rig is a little heavy for crawling but that 5% of the time I get the urge to lay a strait beatdown or hit something gnarly it is worth the extra weight and parts cost to me. I am also fine adding a little weight for reliability and less damage repair.

I enjoy watching all kinds of rigs do work. Especially when they are in there element.

Definitely - and thats what its all about really. Thats part of what makes wheeling fun is seeing guys in different types of builds doing cool stuff in the woods. I personally am a trail riding guy and most rigs in our group are the same basic setup that we have found works best for us...but its always fun to have an outlier in the group working their way through the same trails