• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

enclosed trailer drama- what to do

jeeptj99

So I'm at day 165 of waiting on my trailer to be built. When I ordered it I was told 8-12 weeks. I'm being told when I call it's out of their hands the builders build them when they can. It's a 24' with 1' extra height and upsized axles. I wanted it so when I went riding this summer I had a place to sleep that would have ac. But here we are. Is this normal for trailer manufacturers? I also found out if I cancel they keep $500 of my deposit but it can be used on their online store. Not sure what to do at this point. I have passed on a couple really nice ones in hopes that this one comes through, also don't want to lose $500.

Yep, stuff sucks right now. People aren't working and the ones that are will find any excuse to not work.

Don't be surprised when you finally do get it, that there is a price increase too.

If you *really* want an enclosed, go buy one of nice ones and see if there is $500 worth of stuff you could buy at the dealers online store... You didn't say the dealer so no idea if their online store has stuff you might need for any trailer.

Raw material shortage is probably a major factor. My cousin works for a fab shop and they are having a hard time getting metal and the price had doubled on what they are getting. They got their hours cut. I'd say you are in for a price hike

Whoever told you 8-12 weeks flat out lied! Probably to secure the sale. When I bought my equipment trailer this past January the average wait time for anything from anyone was anywhere from 6 months to over a year. It's not due to lack of workers. It's a result of a backlog of orders topped by supply chain interruptions. They're all slowly catching back up, but it's going to take awhile.

There were several brands that, at the time, stopped accepting orders for specific models altogether just to help.

It's not just trailers either. Friend of mine put down a deposit to have a new GMC 3500 built. Told him 3 months and 3 months later they hadn't started.
Then he put down a deposit on an F450 with a wait time of 2 months. 3 months later, nothing. So he said fck it and just bought one off the lot that was close enough to what he wanted.

Another issue..... if your price from 165 days ago was locked in and guaranteed then you might be in for a shock when you price it again from everyone. My 18ft trailer has increased nearly $1400 since I bought it in January.

Last edited:
Cancel the order and buy something else.
Use the $500 for spares tires/wheels/better jack.

What Enzo said. X2.
I've been looking for enclosed trailers. I know you can still snag an enclosed for decent price. Not sure how much you were paying for a custom built new one, but I doubt it's more than a couple year old used model.

Makes me wonder if they'll just sit on the order until they can get materials at a price that will net them a profit at the price they quoted you.

then wait :dblthumb:

There isn't any miracle solutions in your case. Gonna have to pick one or the other of the options explained above.

Build one.

Some steel drywall studs, some racecar sheet aluminum, and a few sheets of lauan...

Probably won't be any shittier than any of the other enclosed trailers ive seen

Build one.

Some steel drywall studs, some racecar sheet aluminum, and a few sheets of lauan...

Probably won't be any shittier than any of the other enclosed trailers ive seen
The devil you know. Since joining a "crawler hauler" or some such **** group on Facebook, I'd rather take my time and build something I know is right

Right now there is not anything a dealer can do. I have cargo trailers that I ordered 8 months ago and I am still waiting. The MFG'ers are way behind and that includes the black iron trailers as well. Most of the cargo trailer MFG'ers are at 40% surcharge. I am in Facebook group for dealers. One of them was saying he just got an email stating the surcharge is going to 63% for the cargo trailer brand he carries. Right now the MFg'ers hold all the cards and there is not much a dealer can do. I quoted a cargo Wednesday and i was told 13 month delivery. Precovid I could raise hell with a MFG'er about long delivery times. Now it is what it is. The Mfg'ers have no problem dropping dealer that bitch to much. When it does come in, make to go over it with a fine tooth comb before you leave the lot.

Right now there is not anything a dealer can do.

I think this is the most important right now. MFG are behind on almost everything. Demand has spiked for almost everything.

At work we build specialized industrial/manufacturing/lab equipment, last year we had several jobs that go put on hold during the build, or they just didn't buy the machines. This year we've been absolutely covered up and have purchase orders for more machines than we've had in several years. BUT tons of purchased components and processed raw materials have stupid long lead times, or just no availability. AND a lot of the shops we farm out CNC cutting/ EDM/machine work/powder coating to are covered up with work and are at 7-8 week lead times (that are usually 1-2 weeks).

Also, I need to hire a machine builder/fabricator if anyone wants a job...

Quit waiting on the new one that's going to get built "maybe next week?" and just buy this instead:

phpywyy8p_e579c3242a872e0820317239cd4a42aeb5390585.jpg

One of a kind toy hauler, that will carry all your special needs to where ever you have to go... in style and comfort. From your helicopter to a few race cars and harleys, all comes along, clean and heated. The 53" trailer features two slides for an extra roomy living room/kitchen, that is equipped with all you need, bedroom, bathroom, mezzanine and the great, clean garage with hard wood floor. Second garage for the smaller toys (four wheeler, bikes etc.) 16kw generator, huge AGM battery bank, infloor heating, constant hot water, and thousands of other goodies all on a comfortable air ride.
2007 Kenworth tractor T800B with bunk beds, fridge, toilet, registered as RV! About 500,000 mi. The 2010 unit was kept in my hanger and used only on one trip. All is still brand new like, and ready for the big trip.

Last edited:
So being registered as an RV, does that mean anyone competent enough to acquire a class C driver's license can pilot this rig down the interstate?

Latest posts