• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

enclosed trailer heater

1tfrot

I just picked up a 24' enclosed and had 2 roof vents put in. one vent has a powered fan and one is vacant because I thought I could add a small roof unit for ac and heat.

after doing a ton of reading I'm fairly confused about ducted and non-ducted systems and what is the safest route. I want to use it for sleeping in from time to time like at campgrounds and such. it does have a 30a service box for campgrounds. was hoping to just add a roof unit for both heat and ac and be done.

opinions? any help is appreciated

My 20ft box is insulated with some bubble wrap kinda stuff. A simple 120v space heater will run you out in all but the coldest of temps.

maybe a ceramic style heater so it's safer? I'm not asking too much of it since the trailer is larger and not insulated, but just want to keep it somewhat comfortable for the few times we need to sleep in it.

it'll get an ac unit for the roof and it seems we might be able to add a heating element to it?

You can add heater element to roof air. It's just an add on $100-$200 usually. But they are highly inefficient. You would be better off adding an outlet and buying a space heater or adding a propane wall unit would be the most efficient. I've added a lot of air conditions to trailers and to be honest a window air usually does better then a roof air. Unless you get a 13000 or higher roof air usually $800. My suggestion is to cut a hole in side of trailer and add a flap hinged at the top and use a cheap window air with a warranty. I've done 3 like this and have not had an issue. Just hard to make that first cut.

My enclosed has 2 ac/heat and the ac will freeze you buy the heat will also. We use 2 small milk house style heaters and unless it is just below freezing only 1 is needed to keep it warm.

Your gonna have to put some insulation in the roof if you want it to do anything. Mine was colder inside then out side before I put insulation in the top.

I used the foam board. Cut to fit inside the roof trusses if you will and stuffed them in. Didn't use any glue or anything and they stayed for the 2 years I had it.

Roof top AC and little 110 base board type heater. Air matress on the floor. Best bang for the buck.

thanks for the info guys. not sure if I want to do that "first cut" quite yet since the trailer is literally brand new and I haven't used it yet (took it straight to my buddies shop to make drive over fenders for it)

I'll definitely look into the blue board for the ceiling and then try to figure out what style heater. it does have 2 outlets inside, but also has a 30s service box as well.
I doubt we'll be in it when it's really hot or really cold, so a couple minor changes should work well the other times.

The heat strips in roof AC units suck. I prefer space heaters, specifically the ceramic heaters with fans. I can't stand the annoying orange glow from an electric element heater. If it is really cold I will fire up a propane tank top heater for a few mins to get the trailer toasty inside then let the ceramic heater maintain through the night.

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO

Think mine was 1/2" white hard foam with silver foil on one side. Cut it alittle long stuffed it between supports. Worked like a charm. Mine was a curved roof and it was flexible enough to bend and not break.