• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Engine swap...options

rugger99

Well...it's that time to do an engine swap. 1995 YJ with a 2.5L and RH30 transmission. Build thread is below. My goal is to get more power, keep costs down and not have to re-do to much of the existing fab work.

www.hardlinecrawlers.com/threads/yj-build-just-a-little-different.52378/page-2

Option #1 - I can get a 3.1L Stroker motor (Basically this is a 2.5L version of the 4.7 Stroker motors) from 505 Performance. rated at 200hp and 265ftlbs of torque. Plus side, everything currently existing (trans, mounts,etc...) will bolt right up and plug in, likely to have the least amount of down time and will likely be the least expensive option. Downside, Jeep may still be a little underpowerd and if this is the case, can't do anything else to massage the motor in order to get a little more power.

Option #2 - Look at getting one of the newer 4cyl motors (2.0LTG ) and all of the associated bits and pieces to make it run. Will have to get a different transmission, 460LE or equivalent. This will likely mean new driveshafts, new trans and t-case mounts and other parts...which we know can add up quickly. Pros, lighter weight motor with approximately 60 to 75 more HP than the first option and with tuning options it can easily have 150 more HP added. Cons, more money spent, longer downtime and more whiskey consumed figuring out all the nuances of swapping a completely different motor.

Option #3 - LS swap. Pros, the ability to have a lot more power than either option #1 or #2.... which equals bigger **** eating grins while wheeling. Cons....lot more money spent as my current axles will likely not survive behind an LS, different transmission will be needed, more fab work, new driveshafts, coil overs will need new springs and likely have to have the internals adjusted as the coil overs are currently setup (valving) for the current setup of the Jeep... etc..., etc..., etc....

I have never done a motor swap before and I am not afraid to take on the challenge... I still want to keep the Jeep as light as possible and I really don't want to have it sitting unusable for 6 plus months. That being said I am completely open to suggestions, ideas and constructive criticism....have at it gents, give me your opinions and guidance.

What about a 5.2/5.9 magnum ?
That would be cheap and have plenty of power, but not enough that you'd destroy everything every time you ride...

IF you decide to go the ecotec route, I'm pretty sure that JHF makes an adapter to bolt one to your RH30. But the cost will be 5x what a donor mangum (which would come with everything needed) would be.

Power is power. Driving style will determine if your axles live.

Doing a full engine swap in a full body-multi passenger wheelin vehicle, an "LS" motor is really the only thing that makes sense economically.

I'd find an aluminum block "LS" motor, just for the weight savings, probably a truck 5.3 and swap it with the 4L60e. Just leave the motor stock.

I'm pretty sure that all the "Trailblazer" variants that had 5.3s (a lot of the long wheel base trailblazers, most of the Buicks and GMCs, etc) had aluminum block motors.

The only other thing I think I would entertain would be turbo'ing the stock 4cyl. That may give it just the little extra bump you need

Last edited:
I ride with a guy who wheels a 95 YL 2.5 and AX5. We swapped his 231 for a 231/Dana300 doubler.
He absolutely loves it and lets the 2.5 sing it's song. WeePow!
Could be an option.

I ride with a guy who wheels a 95 YL 2.5 and AX5. We swapped his 231 for a 231/Dana300 doubler.
He absolutely loves it and lets the 2.5 sing it's song. WeePow!
Could be an option.

...part of the problem is lack of power and the other issue is the motor is on it's last legs...probably should have mentioned that in the original post. I don't think it makes sense to put any money into the current motor when there are better options. I am also starting to look at V6 options, maybe the newer generation 4.3L GM motors. Lots of research to do.

The 4.0 makes a lot of sense - but it wouldn't look like you did anything at all. Would probably make more power and be cheaper than most of the options you mentioned.

What about buying a wrecked XJ and swapping over the 4.0/aw4/231? Would be a cheap upgrade over the 2.5, still have great reliability and not overstress your current axles. Weight would be a downside though for sure.

I have considered the 4.0 option but not certain if I want the additional weight of the 4.0.