• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

EOR Racing Build

onetoncrawler

First off I want to give a shout out to everyone that made this build possible. It was kind of a bucket list item for me and thanks to my wife and good friends it's now a reality. Mark, Mo, Ben & Jimmy all put in a lot of late hours and weekend hours to make it happen. I can't thank those guys enough. Huge thanks to my wife for being patient as the last couple of months have been a mad dash to try and wrap this thing up. First race was last weekend, so we were cutting it close!
After dabbling in ECORS and WeRock we decided to try and build an Ultra 4 race car. Jimmy Penner had a few ideas he wanted to try out so I agreed and we started finalizing a cad drawn sub frame design that he had been working on. Thanks to Jamie, we got the cad files sorted out about this time last year.

We sent all of the files out to be laser cut then Jimmy started tig welding.

EOR hooked us up with a pile of tubing so Mark and I got started bending. Jimmy, Mo and I shared bendtech pics and files for several days before I settled on a design for the chassis.

My buddy Craig tig welded up the trailing arms

After everything was mocked up it went back to EOR for interior and skins.

Then EOR built the killer drive shafts. EOR is known for their standard DIY driveshaft kits. We went with a similar setup to the off the shelf kit for the front. For the rear Jimmy decided to go a little stronger. He used a chromoly trophy truck slip. He tig welded both front and rear for strength. Give EOR a shout for all your driveshaft needs. They have slips, yokes and joints on the shelf.

Went with all Holley fuel delivery – dual pumps to eliminate a common single point failure. Also trying out the new Holley Hydromat. So far it seems to work great

Off to Wicked Coating in Clanton, AL for powder coating. Then re-assembly began. The Artec fuel cell mount saved a lot of time over building one from scratch and looks awesome.

Once it was a roller again eXtreme Roc Rigs (XRR) started working their magic with the wiring. Ben drew up a full schematic and started planning the wiring harness. He used all mil spec wire & IP67 automotive connectors. We went with sealed switches with built in circuit breakers to make the wiring as simple as possible. With an U4 car there are a lot of extras such as the radio, fresh air pumper, brake lights, etc. XRR done an excellent job with the wiring and kept it super clean. XRR has wire, connectors, battery cable, shrink tubing, etc. all in stock. Hit them up for your next wiring job.

Artec Industries came through for us on the high steer arms, ram mount & fuel cell mount. All their stuff is top notch and fit great.

Some steps Mo whipped up

Off to Culver Auto Specialties for tuning. I can't say enough about Lane, he went out of his way to work with us and meet our deadlines. He stayed up late helping me troubleshoot an easy fix.

Going through tech inspection at the Ultra 4 race in Hot Springs

Few specs for anyone interested.

• Chassis
o EOR Cad designed laser cut subframe incorporating link mounts crossmembers and skid
o Bendtech designed chassis DOM/Chromoly mixture
o 3/8" aluminum full skid
• Front Axle
o Ruffstuff 9" fabricated housing
o Strange Hi-9 3rd member with dual load bolts, spool 5.38 gears
o RCV axles
o Reid inner C's and outer knuckles
? Reid bronze kingpin bushings
? Crane Kingpin spring eliminator kit
? Stage 8 locking spindle nuts
o Artec High Steer Arms, Artec Ram mount
o Yukon hardcore hubs
o EBC Chevy ½ ton drilled/slotted rotors and pads
o NWF drive flanges
• Rear Axle
o Ruffstuff 9" fabbed housing
o Gearworks TT 10" third member, spool
o RCV 300m shafts
o 14 bolt spindles
o Ballistic fab aluminum 14 bolt hubs with keyed drive flanges
o EBC Chevy ½ ton drilled/slotted rotors and pads
• Engine
o ATK Racing Engines Chevy 383
o Splayed 6 bolt mains
o Canton 11 QT offshore oil pan
o 100% Forged rotating assembly
o 11.5/1 compression
o Brodix ported heads
o Roller cam/roller rocker combo
o Sanderson ceramic coated shorty headers
o Holley EFI system tuned by Culver Auto Specialties
o Holley dual fuel pump with hydromat pickup, fuel shut off valves
• Transmission
o DBR built TH400
o PRC cooler with dual Spal fans
• Transfer Case
o Atlas 2.0 with 300m gears from the famous 555 racing Unicorn!
o EOR HD driveshafts front and rear
• Suspension
o 4 link rear with Fabricated rear trailing arms, FK 1.25" heims
? 4 tube Bilstein Bypass shocks, Bilstein coilovers w/ pac racing springs
o 4 link front with 7075 Aluminum links, FK 1.25" heims
? Bilstn triple bypass shocks and coilovers & 4" bumps
• Steering
o PSC P-pump with PSC Remote reservoir and 12.1 steering valve, Howe TT inline cooler, trailgear double ended ram
o Longacre steering wheel with splined double safety clip quick disconnect
• Miscellaneous
o PRP Podium seats and 5.3 ratcheting harnesses
o Raceline TR232 wheels
o BFG KR2-S tires
o Rugged radios 357 intercom
o Rugged radios dual fresh air pumper kit
o Aluminum shifter
o Autometer ultra-lite gauges
o Odyssey PC-1500-DT Battery with Ruffstuff mount
o Jaz 22 gal fuel cell with Artec mount
o PRC 31X19 radiator with -16 AN fittings and dual 14" Spal fans
o Wilwood dual ¾" master cylinders with Wilwood pedal
o Kartek siren
o Jamar Aluminum throttle pedal
o Aluminum interior with Custom Tint & Offroad bedliner
o Mastercraft window nets
o Warn VR-8000 winch
o Screen Printing Lodge Custom wrap

and our first race re-cap for those who aren't on the book of faces thumb.gif

Wow what a ride. Our first Ultra 4 race is in the books. The night before we left we were getting ready to load up and the starter quit working. We were running an aftermarket high torque so a replacement wasn't easy to find. Thankfully Jimmy Penner knew exactly what we needed from the local parts store so we got an OEM that would work and Mark and I threw it on. The morning we were supposed to leave we found out we had the wrong spark plugs, so Mo and I changed plugs in the driveway and loaded up. We stopped by Culver Auto Specialties on the way to the race and Lane stopped what he was doing to do a checkout of the tune and make sure we were ready to go. I can't say enough about how good Lane was to us and how much he helped us out. We made it to the park fine and passed tech without any issues.
Pre-running went well and the car felt pretty good. our power steering was the only thing that we weren't happy with. We came back and made a few adjustments to the belt and found the pump was shot. So we took it apart and headed off to the parts store to try and find something that would work. Luckily we found a replacement. Huge props to Benjamin ,Mark Annette Statum, Mo and Riley Riley for throwing on the new pump and getting us to qualifying with 2 minutes to spare. We didn't get to study the course at all or see anyone run so we set out with minimal details. Turned out we ran the hard line all the way which cost us about 20-30 seconds.
When we showed back up to the park on race day we were informed that someone had a run-away jeep and it had smashed into our trailer. Not what you want on your mind on race day. But we pressed on and prepped the rig for the main. As we were staging for starting order we noticed that a "popping" sound we had been hearing was getting worse. I jumped out to do a once over and found a shock uni-ball had come loose. We decided to press on and address it after the race.
The race started out great. The steering wasn't optimal but we were making do. We were crazy fast in the rock sections and shot up all of the technical lines without any issues. We pass 4-5 rigs that were having trouble and we knew right away we just needed to be conservative and finish the race. A few minutes later we noticed we had a flat tire. That made the rest of the lap pretty miserable. everything started heating up from the extra load and we noticed the throttle was acting up. We made it back to the pit and the Tribe 4x4 pit crew, Peter Basler and Benjamin jumped in to help us out and had our tire swapped before we could even get out of the car. The Raceline Wheels held up great and didn't seem damaged at all after running 1/4 lap on a flat. Huge props to their whole crew, they were super helpful, offered us water and anything we needed. We did a once over and decided we were ready for lap two. I checked the throttle cable and noticed that the slight issue had become a major issue, the cable had melted and once it had cooled it seized. We didn't have a spare cable or any heat shield so we decided to call it.
Overall it was a great experience and we learned a lot. I think the car will be competitive once we get the new worn off. Huge thanks to everyone who helped us get there and helped us once we were there, especially Jennifer . We are looking forward to Ultra4 Racing in Indiana next month!
Special thanks to the ones that supplied all of our parts and put in long hours to get us to the race
Essentially Offroad
Extreme Roc Rigs Off-Road, LLC
ARTEC Industries
American Rock Bouncer
Off-Road Solutions

What an awesome experience!
Prerunning the course was one of the coolest things....up until the helmets go on and the green flag drops...then it's on!
Shooting up the rock sections that most would put in double low was just badass...and walking up sections where others were taking bypasses put a smile on everyone's faces.
The course was rough and spring thru the trees gets the blood pumping.
Kudos to those that race regularly...it's rough on an old man :****:
98b188d9cf45bcdf45d00c9402fd98aa.jpg

Looking forward to next month!

That is awesome Daniel and Mo, you guys have put your heart and soul into this build and even though you hit some hard spots, it will payoff in the end, no doubt. Let me know when ya'll might be doing some testing around our parts, love to come watch. :dblthumb:

Can you give some details on the rear ballistic fab hubs with keyed drive flanges? I never knew if they ever really made it to market with that product but I always thought it was a great idea. I imagine the keyed flanges eliminates the loosening bolt issue that you see with 14 bolt hubs.

redneckengineered said:
Can you give some details on the rear ballistic fab hubs with keyed drive flanges? I never knew if they ever really made it to market with that product but I always thought it was a great idea. I imagine the keyed flanges eliminates the loosening bolt issue that you see with 14 bolt hubs.

They are a nice fit. Both sides were leaking after the race though. I only had blue loctite on the threads. I'm about to pull the shafts for inspection and I'll put red loctite this time around. So the keys didnt eliminate the problem, possibly helped though.

They are a good bit lighter than a regular hub, but I didn't weigh them.

onetoncrawler said:
They are a nice fit. Both sides were leaking after the race though. I only had blue loctite on the threads. I'm about to pull the shafts for inspection and I'll put red loctite this time around. So the keys didnt eliminate the problem, possibly helped though.

They are a good bit lighter than a regular hub, but I didn't weigh them.

How was Ballistic to deal with? If you could get some pictures of the hubs installed I'd like to see them. Sucks to hear the keyways didn't eliminate the problem though.

redneckengineered said:
How was Ballistic to deal with? If you could get some pictures of the hubs installed I'd like to see them. Sucks to hear the keyways didn't eliminate the problem though.

I didn't deal with Ballistic directly on them. They were passed down from a build Ian did on Xtreme 4x4 a few years ago. They were ran once and set aside. I only have a couple of pictures on my phone

This one time, I held up Daniel's shocks while he mocked up shock mounts... lol

glad it finally all came together bud! I know its been a long road getting to this point!

Congrats! you guys all did a heck of a job!

smbroady82 said:
This one time, I held up Daniel's shocks while he mocked up shock mounts... lol

glad it finally all came together bud! I know its been a long road getting to this point!

Congrats! you guys all did a heck of a job!

Thanks man - & thanks for the help !

Latest posts