• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Extra-wide enclosed trailer

yankster

HC Supporter
Has anyone seen an enclosed trailer in the 32'-40' range advertising a wider than normal door opening?
My rockwell buggy is 95" or so at the widest point. Most trailers' door openings are 84"-88".
I've found the majority of manufacturers advertise the height and width of the interior but no mention of the door opening dimensions.
If not, has anyone enclosed a low deck trailer themselves? I've searched on Pirate and Google with no real results.

My Featherlite door is 91" and I could see someone could make a 92", but damn that gets down to no structure for the flip down door. And then where do the taillights go? In the door?
I know some of the 18-wheeler trailers that the doors swing open on get down there to about the wall thickness, so I'd guess in the 99" area, but thats a freight hauler right there.

What about tire swapping to fit it in the box? Carry a set of skinny rollers?

InDaShop said:
My Featherlite door is 91" and I could see someone could make a 92", but damn that gets down to no structure for the flip down door. And then where do the taillights go? In the door?
I know some of the 18-wheeler trailers that the doors swing open on get down there to about the wall thickness, so I'd guess in the 99" area, but thats a freight hauler right there.

What about tire swapping to fit it in the box? Carry a set of skinny rollers?

Swapping tires every time I load and unload is what I'm trying to avoid. It seems the manufacturers rely on the structure around the door to keep the rear opening square. But like you said, if a semi trailer is structurally sound with a full width opening, a cargo trailer can be as well. I wouldn't mind swinging double doors on the rear as I don't use ramps to load anyway.

I would mount the tail lights in a header along the top of the trailer. Height is of much less concern to me as width. If I run across a 36' triple axle low-deck I may have to build this myself.

Freight trailers wall/roof structure is a lot less rigid than an enclosed race trailer. Something to think about, why the door structures are so different.
Freight trailers typically get everything strapped to pallets loaded in them, not strapped to the walls like in an enclosed race style trailer.

Also look into the taillight laws, if your only lights are up that high above the door, they would likely be illegal.

You could look at changing the back spacing on the wheels.

If you had to go rollers, you could probably get away with swapping one side only, just get the tallest skinny tire available and let it lean a little.

Re-inventing a trailer that fits around what you have does not seem like the easiest or cheapest solution.

Think outside the box. Ha ha.

5150 Race trailers in Lewisburg, TN can build you one with a 98 inch door opening..They ain't cheap, but they are nice!
1866-438-5150 and ask for Mark

yankster said:
You're the man! That's exactly what I was looking for!

That is what I have, except the 24' Pursuit model with the hidden rivets, cabinets, awning, 5' tongue, and air conditioner. Mine is 102".

If you need measurements, let me know.

JohnG said:
That is what I have, except the 24' Pursuit model with the hidden rivets, cabinets, awning, 5' tongue, and air conditioner. Mine is 102".

If you need measurements, let me know.
If yours has the 96" rear door option I would be interested in the actual door opening width.

yankster said:
If yours has the 96" rear door option I would be interested in the actual door opening width.

Just measured, mine is not the 102".

Outside of box, not to include the fender flares: 99 1/2"
Inside box width: 96"
Inside rear door opening width: 90"

Found a company to build what I wanted. Husky Cargo out of Fitzgerald, GA sells direct to the public.
This is a 40' gooseneck with 32' of deck, slight dovetail and 7000# Dexter axles. 96" wide rear door was a custom option they had never done before.
Screwless exterior, one piece aluminum roof, 1"x1.5" square tubing in the roof and walls. Reinforced ramp and all LED lighting. 12 D rings in the floor bolted through to steel underneath.
Quality seems to be quite good for the price. Welds look decent. Pulls great empty. Weighs 5,900 lbs.
Options I should have gotten in hindsight: electric front jacks, 12" additional height, and radial tires.
The big bitch just fits, but it fits. Theres room for two buggies and an ATV easily. Was $16,500 out the door. This company received some bad reviews from folks who didn't understand that they're a factory, not a dealership. So you have to go in knowing that you're going to give them a big down payment and not hear a peep until it's done (8 weeks in my case, normally 6 for standard trailers). I had no issues at all.

Just seen this post, but i build 99 wide id trailers daily. They can be built with plenty of strength if done properly.

Glad you were able to find what you were loking for. Looks like a nice setup!!