• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

F350 V10 tow rig

ole heep

I am looking at a 2003 Ford F350 four-wheel-drive automatic for a new to me to rig. Has anyone had any issues with that motor and driveline? I know fuel mileage will not be great but any other issues?

I think the 02s and up were mostly fixed of spitting spark plugs out. Pretty good motors.

Back when I was racing the Mustang and towing with a 5.7 350 Chevy I had a buddy that had a Whipple or Kenne Bell supercharged V10 Excursion and that thing was ridiculous.

I just had an open 18 ft open deck car hauler and he had a full enclosed trailer and would rip past me like nothing.

I like the modular series of motors. The F250 with the 5.4 L I had would absolutely kill my current 5.3 Chevy.

Tony, since your truck is a 2wd and you use it mostly for towing, you should put 4:10 gears in that whip, you and the truck would love life so much more! I have had a couple of those trucks with 4:10, it's unbelievable the difference it makes.

Re: Re: F350 V10 tow rig

zukimaster said:
Tony, since your truck is a 2wd and you use it mostly for towing, you should put 4:10 gears in that whip, you and the truck would love life so much more! I have had a couple of those trucks with 4:10, it's unbelievable the difference it makes.
I have no doubt itd help....jus dont feel spending the money is worth it for my needs. Isn't it almost a grand when done right and professional?

For a company truck I had a 2004 F-350 V10 4x4 ext cab long bed with a service bed, weighed 9200 pounds, when I started driving it it had 80k miles on it and the guy who had it for the first 80k was hard on it. I drove it for 5 years and 60k miles more, run good, pulled good, got a steady 7-9 mpg, changed oil every 5k and the only thing that was ever replaced was brakes and ball joints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It shouldn't be, if all the bearings are good etc. Gears are 250ish, should be able to find a reputable shop to install for 250ish. But finding someone who can do it right and not rape you is easier said than done.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Not sure in the trucks but have driven an older e350 van with v10. It was better on gas than the v8s. Even towing a 5x10 enclosed it was not horrible on gas. Think the van loaded with people was 14ish mpg with trailer 10-12ish mpg. I like them over the v8s.

I've got a '00 F250 CCSB 4X4 V10, automatic, 6.0 PS trans cooler, 4.56's, 265/70/17, 192K and a Mike's 5Star with 8 tunes. It pulls awesome, gets 11-12 mpg on my daily 12 mile to and from work no matter which non towing specific tune I run. Got 8mpg last trip pulling my 26' crawler hauler, scale about 19k fully loaded. The 4.56's and tunes changed the truck entirely, had 3.73's when I got it. I crowd 15mpg if I hit the interstate not towing.

Thanks for the input.
I am going tomorrow to check it out. Hell the only thing I will be out is 7hrs drive time and an 8 hr PTO day if it don't work out!!! ????

Well it was a 7 1/2 hr round trip to find a VERY RUSTY undercarriage POS! I was amazed because the Carfax showed that it had been in middle Georgia it's whole life !

Man they sucks to drive that far for nothing! What happens lots of times with the car fax is that the vehicle was registered in one state and lived in another one, very common with lease cars for company's. I know some people that went to Atlanta and bought a 1 owner Expedtion that had been registered in GA all it's life, got it home and was washing it a few days later, and his wash mit got caught on something on the roof, climbed up and the whole roof was rusty and had holes in it, come to find out, it was left outside at there condo a block away from the beach all it's life, all the salty moisture rusted it out, but very shitty that people will not be straight up with you.

We've gotten some new F750s in at work in our rental fleet as water trucks and they still have the v10 in them. I guess Ford just quit putting them in pickup trucks for emissions??or to sell more deezuls??

Keep an eye out for the 05-up 3 valves. Coupled with the torqueshift they tow awesome. Leave it stock and enjoy

Latest posts