• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Favorite Place to Wheel?

W

wngrog

So, where is your favorite place to wheel and why?

Me?

1) Clayton-Trails, Rocks, Rocks and more Rocks
2) Phoenix-Hardest of the hard, long trails, death defying verticals
3) Hammers-Trails, rocks, sand dunes and hauling ass in the desert
4) Moab-Scenery, long trails, Sand
5) Katemcy-people, scenery, hard or as easy as you want to do/try

Considering I have only been to a few places.....
I will say:
Badlands Off-Road Park
River Rock Off-Road Park
Ocala rock quarry

places to go:
Morris Mountain (coming soon!)
Gray Rock
Hot Springs
Tellico

I would love to go out west and do some wheelin out there....Moab, mainly for the scenic views. the hammers or the places in AZ would be freakin badass, but my full bodied rig would be missing much of the body by the end of the ride....LOL

Brian

Give me another couple of years to answer that question. I am still trying to get to some of the ones you mentioned. I will have the Hammers and clayton under my belt by the end of next year. As of now though I would have to say Morris Mountain. I have rode there quit a few times and I haven't got bored of it yet.

I have not been to as many places as some of you but my favorite is Clayton. It has to be good if I am willing to drive 10+ hours each way once a year ;D

WindRock is coming next month and we have Harlan, Mayhem, Wooly's, Robinsville, and River Rock on the list next year. A trip out west is a must, probably in 09 though.

I also like Tellico, but it is not as high on the list due to the great distance between obstacles. Hot Springs is the best "park" IMO, great signage, parking and facilities. The sharp rocks are the only downside there. MMORV is cool, as is Gray Rock, but being close to them makes them less and less interesting. Randy is cutting new trails so that will make it "new" again. Gray Rock has pretty much been the same exact trails for as long as I can remember, and most of the "newer" trails are not that hard yet.

Morris Mountain is certainly up there on my list, I always have a good time out there.

Grayrock is fun and way close to my house ( ;D )

I miss Disney, Ok cause you can make it as hard as your willing to make it and obstacles are convient to the camp grounds... night wheeling is a must there too 8)

Clayton is good wheeling long ass haul out there..

I went to Hot Springs in 99 before it was Superlift owned so I dont really know on that one anymore.

Tellico is a good time, and beautiful scenic wheeling. Doable after work Friday tow too.

Went to Colorado back in the day ( Ill guess 93 ) another beautiful place. We were in a rented stock YJ and just did the well known
mining trails Imogene, and what not.

Im really looking forward to the upcoming rides and new places slated for next year. I love to wheel places Ive never been

I actually think Gray Rock is my favorite place to wheel.

I've been to Hot Springs, Windrock, Tellico, Wooly's, MMORV, Hannibal Rocks, Aetna(doesn't count, only saw three trails), and I have the most fun at Gray Rock, with or without a rig. Tellico would be my least favorite, takes to long to do anything out there.

I like grayrock, you can drive the tow rig to the top of most of the hills there. it makes it nice. completely opposite of what I have seen of tellico. haven't been there

Morris mountain kicked ass. a little farther back in there, but tow rigs can go most of the way to the obstacles. it kicks ass he has a hoe there most of the time and that he is cool with whatever.

Disney is a fun weekend twice a year. you know all the obstacles, they aren't really hard, but you go to sit at the waterfall or little blue, watch all the dumbasses try it and drink. then you drink more and night wheel. its a really good party where you wheel too

Clayton would be cool as **** with 3 rigs. hard to shoot, little access with rescue rigs.

Holy crap, I haven't been anywhere else. No bankroll.

I've only been wheelin a little over a year but I've been to:

The Wheelin Ranch - Now Closed
Clayton - Been once, very cool place, huge rocks
Katemcy - Been once, very different, an all out playground
Hot Springs - About to go for the 4th time this year, obviously I like it, trails are great and so are the facilities

I started this to get a feel for all of the places you guys have been. Interesting...I keep having to remember the main posters here are from AL, KS and TX......

Hot Springs is awesome, I agree. I love that place.

Funny to hear folks that have been other places still like Grayrock. I think it replaced Tellico as my least favorite place to wheel.

wngrog said:
I started this to get a feel for all of the places you guys have been. Interesting...I keep having to remember the main posters here are from AL, KS and TX......

Hot Springs is awesome, I agree. I love that place.

Funny to hear folks that have been other places still like Grayrock. I think it replaced Tellico as my least favorite place to wheel.

A lot of folks around here don't wheel many places besides Gray Rock and MMORV, I don't think anybody has hit as many places as you have Nolen. :flipoff1: What I enjoy about GR is hanging out with friends and the night life at the big rides. It has gotten very stagnant and the dry weather and dust makes it down right miserable. I was talking to Keith Bailey today, he has a huge hand in running and maintaining the park, and he said unless we get some rain he is probably not going to ride. That is saying a lot since this is the only major ride that he does not put on. It has rained TWICE here since Sept 1st. :eek: I may just go up for John's party and to party on Sat night and not even ride unless we get some rain.

I really do like Gray Rock. I guess because it feels like my own personal playground. I still haven't hit all the trails there either. Never done FTF(don't intend to) or Cable, or Hill Climbs 1&2.

BTW, it's "supposed" to rain Friday, Saturday and Sunday of the FFA. Which is fine by me!! Except for the fact I have to shoot this one for the mag... Rain is bad on cameras.

David walked up cable like it was not even there last Saturday in his leaf sprung YJ. You can handle it Ricky.

David was also saying when it was wet the funniest thing is sitting there in camp and watching all the yahoos slide off the hill into the trees by the bunny slopes.....

I agree that I have only seen Grayrock at its worst. I am sure it is much more fun when you are not picking coal infested boogers out of your nose for a week after each trip :D

Living in Texas made it MUCH easier to get to all the places that I used to wheel. Nothing was more than a LONG days drive except the Hammers.

One trip that made the Top 5 (but it was a combo of places and not a "place") was Central Colorado.

I went with a small group and we ran all the trails at Montrose, went to Carnage Canyon in Penrose and then to the Independance trails. All in 4 days. It was increadible. It snowed on us and everything. Excellent rockcrawling at all of those places. When I get the 4 seater done I plan on taking the family on that trip since the side trips will be so great.

No, I am in the planning stages. I won't have it ready until next summer. I have put a deposit down at Twisted Customs for the chassis.

It will be 106" WB, LS-1, T350, Atlas 3.8, 9" F/R, 45* turn axle in front.

I am collecting parts right now. Have gotten some sweat deals. I am keeping the Bash Buggy until this one is finished. That way I don't get in a hurry. I plan on doing everything on it but the fab work myself with help from friends.

I leave in the morning for the Hammers. Carl, Jimbro and I are wheeling Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday at the Hammers. Friday we are running Asylum in Phoenix and returning.

1805 miles from my house to the dry lake bed.

Can't wait.

Awesome man, I know you have been looking fwd to this trip for a while! Wish I could have made it, but there is always next time. Buggy sounds cool, TC builds nice stuff!

HARLAN Black MTN.
Just something about that place man. I like the easy access of the trails, trials are mapped good, usually a good crowd on big weekends, and I think its cool being able to drive your buggy in town to get grub fuel etc.!

Latest posts