• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

fj80 vs dana 60 front end

toyzuk

Alittle specs on my beater with a heater, Ive got a 2001 regular cab toyota tacoma with a 4cyl 3rz and an auto. Its got factory 456 gears, 3in lift, 33's, bumpers, sliders, a winch ect, and quite a few dents lol. I just ordered a Lc engineering supercharger to get ready for the axle swap and bigger tires.

I have a tow rig and trailer but i LOVE driving to the trail. I have a 60 front just sitting in my yard but i want it to be a good driver with decent power and feel like the one tons would kill that. my goal is 37s to 39s and a truck that drives decent. am i crazy to think that the 80 frontend would be better to suit my needs instead of the 60?

P.S. im getting fj80 axles next to nothing and may take the elockers out of my lx450 just because....

Last edited:
The 80 front is still 8 inch, just high pinion.
Has the bigger birfs, and if you replace them with RCV they'll be strong, but still 8 inch.
The axle shafts are still smaller.
There birfs limit turning angle.
To the leafs you need some pretty expensive steering that I'm not sure is actually more than vaporware (I haven't looked lately)
So honestly... Much as I love my Toyota junk, if I already had a 60 sitting around, not sure I'd be able to justify building an 80 axle.

The 80 is a great axle, I run them in my wheeler and DD. But if I had a 60 just laying around when I built either of them, I wouldn't have when with the 80s.

Ok now i have both axles sitting around lol, i just picked up a 97 fj80 as a parts rig for 800 bucks, it runs and drives great, i run around with small tire guys who drive fj80s which is why im hesitant to run the 60s because i know ima have to run a bigger tire for pumkin clearence when i only need a 37ish. What size do you guys run that travel around and hit trails everywhere, are 37s enough? Im at a point in my life FINALLY that i can start going around the country and hitting popular places, rubicon, moab, ect.

Attachments

• 20191006_165923_HDR.jpg
    20191006_165923_HDR.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 190
Is the 60 high pinion? If so I have an e locker and 5.38’s for sale. Also a disc braked 60 rear with 5.38’s.

No, but how much? If i go 60 i might trade it for a ford high pinion 60 lol, depends on which transfercase i go with. So much crap i have to finger out and decide on lol.

Toy axles suck. No matter how you polish them.

To think that an axle that is superior will drive worse is not coherent thinking.

Big plus, if you have 60s, why run 37s????? Time for big boy tires.

Take off the diapers and run a 42-44.

No, but how much? If i go 60 i might trade it for a ford high pinion 60 lol, depends on which transfercase i go with. So much crap i have to finger out and decide on lol.

The ford hi pinion makes SO MUCH sense in so many ways. From clearance, to strength, to T case options etc.

I have a 93 high pinion ford front 60 for sale to. We can work a package deal if you are interested. Text me if you decide to go down that road

Dave 253 250-2081

EVERY SINGLE TIME I go to the rocks, I want tires bigger than the 37s I have.

Thanks all for the replys, this is what I needed to hear. I pretty much already made up my mind on the fj frontend but figured id ask. Now im leaning towards the 60, dangit thats alot more monies lol.

To think that an axle that is superior will drive worse is not coherent thinking.

Big plus, if you have 60s, why run 37s????? Time for big boy tires.

Take off the diapers and run a 42-44.

The reason i was shying away from the 60 is the added weight and the fact ill have to run a bigger tire, or at least want to run a bigger tire. I still want to be able to load up with gear and drive to eastern wa and do 70mph over the passes. Then theres the added cost of everything, with thefj80 frontend Id run 37s and use alot of the stock suspension and worn out soft coils I took off my fj80 possibly. I already have factory elockers in my lx that i could use also so all id need is gears and rcvs for the fj axles

With the 60s i need to buy alot more and tires are quite a bit more 37 vs 42. Id love to have the 60 its just gonna take more time and money.

37's are fine on 60's.. up until a couple yrs ago you could only run 37's in pro mod in we rock.. courses are the same as what unlimited's run on 40' and 42's.. 80 axles are just like the minitruck axles.. just strong enough to trick you into thinking their strong.. every 60 I've ever owned hasnt had a problem doing 90+ mph lol... perr pressure says do the 60 :D

Ive got 44s on my square body chevy. It goes 60-80 mph at least one-two days a week.

Big tires can be found for a little more if not the same money as little tires.

I can get another set of 44s that are 70% and better for 900-1000.

A good set of 37s/38s will cost that easy.

Hummer beadlocks on dually outers and rear spacers are cheap to.

A dana 60s extra weight is a HELP not a handicap. Unsprung weight keeps you right side up. Toy axles fall over too easy.

We can do some quick math too..
Dana 60 build
5.38's. ..... $175
High steer $200
Steering bars and joints $300
Total : 675
Yota 80 build
5.29's $350
Longfields $750
Trussing/gussets $300
Knuckles... $1,050
Sterring bars and joints $300
Total... $2,050

So $675 to build the dana 60 or $2,000 to build the 80 and still have toyota shitty 3rds and flimsy housing... yeah you should definatly go with the 80 stuff cuz its lighter and and fits 37's lol!!!

Latest posts