• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ford 9" ratio / strength?

RustyC

I am needing a 5.6-6.0 ratio for a Ford 9" in Flipped Axles. Running on the coast/weak side. So far I have found the following combinations and looking for the strongest one obviously. I've heard stuff for years about pinion tooth count vs pinion diameter is what matters and the opposite that ring gear tooth count and thickness is more important.
Can anyone out there clear up the muddy water?

9" ratio ring gear / pinion tooth count.
5.67 34 6
5.83 35 6
6.0 36 6 < edited that from 5 to 6
6.0 30 5

I am seriously considering the 6.0 30/5 but not 100% sure.

muddinmetal said:
5.83, you'll need that extra tooth much more than you will ever need that .29% gear ratio

So you think the extra tooth on the pinion would be more stronger than ring gear tooth count?

I ask this because I can't recall a broken pinion tooth but have seen several teeth missing off a section or more of a ring gear.
Wondering it the 30 tooth ring gear teeth would have a thicker / stronger root of each tooth?

Re:

paradisepwoffrd said:
Shouldn't that be a 36-6 count for the other 6.00 ratio? If so, I'd probly go that way

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Yes you are correct, guess I got fat fingers for a second. Good eye.

RustyC said:
So you think the extra tooth on the pinion would be more stronger than ring gear tooth count?

I ask this because I can't recall a broken pinion tooth but have seen several teeth missing off a section or more of a ring gear.
Wondering it the 30 tooth ring gear teeth would have a thicker / stronger root of each tooth?

The pinion strips the teeth off the ring gear. More teeth on the pinion = more teeth engagement and more gear set strength. More teeth on ring gear doesn't help strength.

Latest posts