• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ford F-350 gear ratio

Chuck19

I'm looking at a new F350 and the only gear ratios are 3:55 and 4:10 not sure which is best these days pulling a 21k 5th wheel ?

If you're planning on staying with factory size tires then the 3.55's would be fine. But if you plan upgrading to bigger tires down the road I would go ahead and get the 4.10's.

Just bought a 2017Dually it has 410 pulls awesome but is hell on fuel! Actually empty it is hell on fuel :****: But I assure you there's not a truck on the road that can touch it loaded!!

kevinhumphrey said:
Just bought a 2017Dually it has 410 pulls awesome but is hell on fuel! Actually empty it is hell on fuel :****: But I assure you there's not a truck on the road that can touch it loaded!!

What brand is your truck?
Do you like it?

I'm about to order a 2018 f350 drw and will get 410. All I use it for is hauling and towing.

I have a 2017 F350 dually with the 4:10 gearing. It sucks over 65 mph and I don't really like how fast it goes through the gears on back roads and stuff, I usually lock it out of 6th when I'm under 40 mph.

But, it's a pulling SOB, I had a little over 30k on it recently on some back roads with lots of steep hills and have never driven a truck that pulls like it does.

My preference would have been the 3:73 but since they don't offer that anymore I went with the 4:10. That would be my choice again if I had it to do over, I'm in need of some tires now and going to step up to 285s.

Hey chuck, my 17 king ranch has 3.55's. Wouldn't have any other gear. I can pull my kobota 095 up bon air mountain at 65 no problem. I upped to 255-85 tires and still pulls great, just drops a gear now. As most of us do, I run empty a lot more than loaded. I have 62k on mine now.

3.55 in mine also. I feel like its plenty of gear unless your heavy hauling 75% of the time.