• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Fords new 7.3 v8 gas motor

dwa2469

22RTE Buggy,LC Axles,39 reds
Curious to see how this turns out. Ford back in the push rod business again :driving:

Attachments

• 7.3L-V8-Gas-Engine-825x825.jpg
    7.3L-V8-Gas-Engine-825x825.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 215
I hope GM gets in the game to compete. Competition makes everything better.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

That new Silverado looks like this guy had sex with a tundra
56b69c1a6b0268cd175da12a992402d9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Re: Re: Fords new 7.3 v8 gas motor

Zjman said:
That new Silverado looks like this guy had sex with a tundra
56b69c1a6b0268cd175da12a992402d9.jpg

Gotta admit that even as a Chevy guy I'm not too excited about the new ones.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I think the industry is headed back to gas burners for the 3/4 ton "hobby class" folks (like me) that only really need a diesel periodically...

If they can get the empty fuel mileage up, it would drive folks to buying gas more, IMO. I think ppl buy diesel because they believe it will get better mileage with more power.

paradisepwoffrd said:
If they can get the empty fuel mileage up, it would drive folks to buying gas more, IMO. I think ppl buy diesel because they believe it will get better mileage with more power.

Agreed, however not by much. I drive a slightly modded 07 Duramax and average 16 mpg in town, 21 on the interstate unloaded, and roughly 10--12 while towing. Diesel costs $3 per gallon, gas guys pay $2. If a gas truck get 14 mpg the cost to operate is still cheaper when you figure in purchase price, maintenance, etc.

For me and my truck needs its getting harder and harder to justify owning a diesel...

That v6 eco boost is a impressive truck and totally whips a 5.0's ass. Don't see why ford don't build a v8 version of the eco boost
I have 2 diesels and been considering a gas truck for cruising around but damn a new truck is higher than angel snatch

Zjman said:
That v6 eco boost is a impressive truck and totally whips a 5.0's ass. Don't see why ford don't build a v8 version of the eco boost
I have 2 diesels and been considering a gas truck for cruising around but damn a new truck is higher than angel snatch

I want a 1/2 ton to piddle around in and dd but yeah i'm with you. People are ****ing retarded for what they want for one. And a new diesel is insane too. Used cars are just going up and it's super frustrating.

jeeptj99 said:
I want a 1/2 ton to piddle around in and dd but yeah i'm with you. People are ****ing retarded for what they want for one. And a new diesel is insane too. Used cars are just going up and it's super frustrating.
9a439b6e3c57ecae2c29ede07d9a7b32.jpg

There's a YouTube feed I watch from time to time that has already dropped one in a Fox body. It looks rather small in there because we're used to seeing the behemoth DOHC mod motors in there ****-hair'ing off the shock towers. I believe its been mentioned that it starts chucking rods around the 600hp mark. Not really that impressive when Gen2 5.0's are pretty consistently doing 800-900 and even touching on 1000 in some cases.

Palm Beach Dyno has purchased a base model version and has begun messing with the computer on it. I believe they bumped hp up 30 or so and similar tq gain. They are working with Whipple on a supercharger kit at the moment.

Procharger has already developed a "swap kit" for the motor itself and is finalizing the kit for the actual truck now.

Motor is cool, but not worth looking at in my opinion. It'll be like all the cheap ass LS **** where it'll be a great motor once you replace the....
heads, cam, intake, valve springs, rockers, pushrods, throttle body......basically everything but the short block.

Or you can just pony up a tad more(same) cash and buy a stock Gen 2 5.0 and do more with less. :)

A good gas motor sounds good, but it still doesn't touch the 1000 ft lb of torque. That's the attraction to diesel. Raw power. Not fuel economy. IMO

I think the industry is headed back to gas burners for the 3/4 ton "hobby class" folks (like me) that only really need a diesel periodically...

Agreed, however not by much. I drive a slightly modded 07 Duramax and average 16 mpg in town, 21 on the interstate unloaded, and roughly 10--12 while towing. Diesel costs $3 per gallon, gas guys pay $2. If a gas truck get 14 mpg the cost to operate is still cheaper when you figure in purchase price, maintenance, etc.

For me and my truck needs its getting harder and harder to justify owning a diesel...

Agreed. I am currently in the best of both worlds IMO. I have an LBZ Duramax that I purchased for a very reasonable price compared to a 2010+ gas burner with 300+ HP. I completely agree about the pricing difference on fuel. If there is a 33% premium on diesel compared to gasoline, you should be able to offset that cost with 33% worse fuel mileage and cheaper maintenance to boot. That being said the TQ difference is very noticeable and with my last trailer set up, it was not worth the inconvenience it causes trying to maneuver around on the interstate or in traffic, not to mention braking capacity and GVWR.

Generally speaking, if driving and fuel requirements go down globally in the future for many possible reasons, there will be less diesel fuel produced as well which is going to lead to higher diesel prices unless the demand for daily driver diesel trucks goes down along with a push for electric or other alternative OTR trucking solutions. Pretty far out there time wise, but if you are planning on being alive more than another 10-15 years it would be something to consider happening.

That being said, I would never buy a new truck or even a used truck for personal use that cost more than about $15k just out of general frugalness. So I guess my gameplan would be against the grain and am hoping for a lot of high performance diesel truck engines being in the junkyards like the LS platform in the next decade or so. Not sure how emissions would affect all of this, probably for the worse seeing how tuners are dealing with all the issues currently.

I have a titan XD gasser that is enough for my occasional pulling, but I was intrigued by the big 7.3 gasser....

until I listened to a YouTube review where a mid level trim 7.3 truck msrp is 68k. That's rich man diesel money. No damn way I'd pay that for a gas truck

Latest posts