• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Found buggy insurance

As @jeeptj99 mentioned, I got a quote for stated value, full coverage on our juggy at $20,000. Based on talking with her, the coverage would include theft, fire, collision/comprehensive, and liability. These would all apply under any scenario as long as the vehicle was not being used in competition.

She sent me quotes for $250,000/$500,000 for bodily injury, and another quote for $100,000/$300,000 for bodily injury. Both quotes had a deductible of $500.00, and both quote included three additional options (Elite, Plus, Saver) for the insurance coverage. So in total, I got two quotes, but 6 options to chose from.

We opted to not add the insurance since the juggy will be sitting in the garage (and covered under Home Owners) quite a bit more with the new addition here in late April. However, I'll reach back out to her when we start going again for updated info.
I called my insurance. they said our home owner insurance does not cover my buggy. Have you double checked with your insurance to make sure?

I called my insurance. they said our home owner insurance does not cover my buggy. Have you double checked with your insurance to make sure?
I talked with and sent pictures to the Insurance Agent. Was told that as long as it was stored in the garage then it would be covered under my existing Home Owners policy. If it was stored in the carport or any "open air structure" then it would not be covered due to the added risk of storage in an "open air structure."

We also upped our insurance coverage amounts to make sure it would be covered in the event something happened. Ideally I'd have a specific policy for it, but doesn't make sense right now with little dude arrival and the garage coverage.

All that said, mileage may vary for everyone of us whenever we talk to Insurance.

I have been told a resent story by my agent when something happened to a guys shop and messed up a classic car. He assumed it was covered under home owners insurance and it wasn't. He told me that is why their is home owners insurance and then car insurance. Different types of insurance for different types of risk.

I have been told a resent story by my agent when something happened to a guys shop and messed up a classic car. He assumed it was covered under home owners insurance and it wasn't. He told me that is why their is home owners insurance and then car insurance. Different types of insurance for different types of risk.

I feel like something similar happened to @whiskeymakin whenever he had the garage fire. Pretty sure he lost an old Chevy that way.

My understanding is the same. Home insurance doesn't cover motor vehicles.

Based on these comments, I should clarify my comment from 3/23. Basically the juggy is covered and not covered at the same time.

The Agent said the juggy would not be specifically covered as a separate entity under my Home Owners policy. Similar to the comment above about Home Owners covering the garage and Car Insurance covering the vehicles inside of the garage.

Since we increased the Coverage Amounts of my Homeowners Policy, assuming a total loss of the juggy while in my garage, the replacement value of the juggy could/would come from the increased Coverage Amounts of insurance as opposed to out of my own pocket. I hope to never find out if that's how it actually works, but that is my understanding at least.

Last edited:
Yeah i found out the hard way on a Kawasaki mule that in my mind was a yard tool or property equipment in the same way a lawn mower would be viewed....no, i was told if it has to do with a 12volt system its not covered.
Even "parts" for a vehicle arent covered. In our sport/hobby that can be a very expensive issue when building rigs with thousands of dollars in parts laying around.
Thankfully i had insurance on the 85 k10 that roasted but i also argued that it was in storage on jack stands for the winter, which almost classified it as contents of the building, but once again the 12volt clause voids that.
In a nutshell, if something has tires and a 12 volt battery you better check and aee if its covered, most likely it isnt.
My insurance guy never would give me an answer if my yanmar tractor was covered since it is a "yard/garden tool" type of thing....theres no option for a regular homeowner to insure a small tractor like that through farm bureau that ive seen.
Luckily it was in another building that didnt burn.

And another issue with these slick ass insurance agents...
The will say its covered, but when the adjuster comes out, who is the guy that authorizes checks to be cut, and tells you otherwise....the agent/salesman has nothing to do with it.
Then if it is covered ive heard some bad stories on how to actually get your money back. Proof of purchase, date, estimated value etc...all hand written for every single piece. The adjuster can make you jump some major hoops if they want to. I was lucky and had an awesome guy to deal with. It was a wake up call, id hate to go through losing a house. Theres almost no way to ever recoup what you had. I still catch myself looking for stuff i had before but didnt get back from the whole fire ordeal.
Another gray area is lawnmowers.... pretty sure if you have a fancy commercial mower, you arent a business, just basic homeowner, its probably not covered.

If an agent tells you its covered, get it in writing along with pics and vin/serial # attached to back it up! I guarantee you they will be uncomfortable doing so.

*ridered you do understand what that agent is telling you is to basically lie on the paperwork and make up value to cover the juggy...
Thats a lot of b.s. to make up, trust me i know lol

*last edit...
The other hoop some cheap insurance companies use is the ol trick of making you buy all your stuff back that you lost, THEN, they reimburse you.
That to me is huge. Make sure you ask how the process works in the event you have a loss.

Next thing that happens when you increase insurance coverage, your lovely county tax assessor uses this info from insurance companies to judge what your property is worth. I upped mine after the fire and now i also pay more on property taxes

Last edited:
I have a friend that thought his three dirt bikes were covered by his home owners policy so he did not insure them. Unfortunately they were stolen and he found out the hard way they were not covered. I guess some have said you may be able to get some type of coverage for these types of things based on coverage of contents, but I believe for most policies anything with a motor will be a tough claim to recover. Insurance is just legalized gambling and you have to know the house rules otherwise you will lose.

Yeah i found out the hard way on a Kawasaki mule that in my mind was a yard tool or property equipment in the same way a lawn mower would be viewed....no, i was told if it has to do with a 12volt system its not covered.
Even "parts" for a vehicle arent covered. In our sport/hobby that can be a very expensive issue when building rigs with thousands of dollars in parts laying around.
Thankfully i had insurance on the 85 k10 that roasted but i also argued that it was in storage on jack stands for the winter, which almost classified it as contents of the building, but once again the 12volt clause voids that.
In a nutshell, if something has tires and a 12 volt battery you better check and aee if its covered, most likely it isnt.
My insurance guy never would give me an answer if my yanmar tractor was covered since it is a "yard/garden tool" type of thing....theres no option for a regular homeowner to insure a small tractor like that through farm bureau that ive seen.
Luckily it was in another building that didnt burn.

For Tractor Insurance, I have mine (01 Kubota 30hp with loader) on it's own separate policy through Farm Bureau. Covered for Fire, Theft, Natural Causes, and Terrorism, etc. regardless of where it is located (in-laws, my house, mechanics). Have it on a Stated/Agreed Upon value of $10k and it costs like $81 per year.

And another issue with these slick ass insurance agents...
The will say its covered, but when the adjuster comes out, who is the guy that authorizes checks to be cut, and tells you otherwise....the agent/salesman has nothing to do with it.
Then if it is covered ive heard some bad stories on how to actually get your money back. Proof of purchase, date, estimated value etc...all hand written for every single piece. The adjuster can make you jump some major hoops if they want to. I was lucky and had an awesome guy to deal with. It was a wake up call, id hate to go through losing a house. Theres almost no way to ever recoup what you had. I still catch myself looking for stuff i had before but didnt get back from the whole fire ordeal.
Another gray area is lawnmowers.... pretty sure if you have a fancy commercial mower, you arent a business, just basic homeowner, its probably not covered.

If an agent tells you its covered, get it in writing along with pics and vin/serial # attached to back it up! I guarantee you they will be uncomfortable doing so.

*ridered you do understand what that agent is telling you is to basically lie on the paperwork and make up value to cover the juggy...
Thats a lot of b.s. to make up, trust me i know lol

*last edit...
The other hoop some cheap insurance companies use is the ol trick of making you buy all your stuff back that you lost, THEN, they reimburse you.
That to me is huge. Make sure you ask how the process works in the event you have a loss.

Next thing that happens when you increase insurance coverage, your lovely county tax assessor uses this info from insurance companies to judge what your property is worth. I upped mine after the fire and now i also pay more on property taxes

Good point on the Agent Role in the process vs the Adjusters role in the process. Also good point on what the Agent is telling me to do so will be contacting him to get everything in writing.

Between your garage fire and the wife's house fire y'all certainly speak from experience.

Most homeowners policy have a coverage built in for items such as lawn equipment and other "normal" house hold goods but it only covers up to a certain amount like lawn mower 1500, guns 1200, jewelry 1500, etc. if you have 20k worth of guns, 20k jewelry, 10k mower, you would have to purchase a separate endorsement to your policy for additional coverage for those items. When I worked in the insurance industry, Any "vehicle " that could be covered under an auto policy is not covered under your homeowners policy And you will find out the hard way that you agent doesn't know what they are talking about when the adjuster shows up to do your claim. Ask him to show you in your policy that your vehicle will be covered if a total loss occurs.

Latest posts