• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Front End Wiggle

gasman1

How about some ideas, i am working on it tonight

When driving at speed about 30mph the front end starts to "wiggle" very rapidly. As i hit about 40mph it goes away. when i use the word "wiggle", it feels as if the tires are wiggling from top to bottom not front to back. i have checked the axle bearings while replacing the front axle u-joints but have no change.

Any ideas? I am taking it to a buddys house to night to get a better look at it.

93" YJ with Dana 30 in the front end.

Balljoints???? Thats the only thing i can really think of that has anything to do with the angle of the tire top to bottom. . .

This kind of sounds like the death wobble but I am not sure as you do not seem to be alarmed enough. Maybe you do not have a full blown case yet and are just seeing the first signs. In any event here are some things that I would check out to start with:

- toe in
- leaf spring main eye bolts
- leaf spring bushings
- ball joints
- unit bearings
- tie rod ends

what kind of tires? Mine does the same between 30-40MPH... Just live with it. and it gets better as the old bias ply tires warm up.

Tires are ballanced. i changed out the tires and made sure they were ballanced before i put them on the front.(first thig i did)

As for ball joints the initial inspection does not show us any alarming wear.

Tires are 33" BFG mud terain, the tires have been on the rig for about a year and a half, this stared a coule of months ago and keeps getting worse.

drive line out of time maybe. my 4runner did that when i got it lifted the slip yoke was pulled out and turned about 2-3 teeth

if you have ever aired down the tire could have rotated on the wheel and that will cause the "Death Wobble"
you could have them rebalanced and see if that helps

Check your shock bushings; my 89 cherokee had this same problem; had the tires balanced and then discovered the right front lower shock bushing is wasted, not keeping the tire on the road!!!!

I belive the problem lie with the axle angle, i added longer shackles with out checking the axle angle afterwards. I am going to put the stck shackles back on to see if this solves the problem be fore i do any thing else.

We will see if it works...

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention caster angle. but it sounds like you nailed it first. The long shackles only lift one side of the spring which rotates the axle effecting the caster angle. Your tires are biting and trying to turn back and forth like a shopping cart with a bad "caster". Its o.k. to run the longer shackles but you need to park on a flat surface and pich a flat spot on the axle to put an angle finder on. After you install the long shackles take the same measurment again and it will be different probably around 2-3*. What ever the number you come up with you can get wedged shims to correct the angle between the spring and the axle.:awesomework: