• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Fuel cell in a XJ.

Turfmode

I need advise to install a fuel cell in my 96 xj.
IMG_0805.jpg

Jeeps are finicky with fuel pressure so fuel cells can be tricky . Move ur stock tank to inside and put a new pump in it

Only real reason for a fuel cell is if you are going to stretch the wheelbase.
My XJ cane with a TJ cell with a "screw modded" XJ pump. No issues other than the humming is a little louder.
I'd just put a skid plate on the stock tank, if you don't already have one. The stock ones are pretty tough

It's got a skid plate. I was gonna use the fuel pump going out as my excuse to go fuel cell but I didnt know the jeeps where finicky about fuel pressure

Beat on the skid plate. It may "wake up" the pump.
If you do decide to get a cell mount it out of the way. I suggest again the back seat if you don't plan on folding it flat. Another way is to mount it on the passengers side so that you can build tool/parts storage in the remaining space.

I tried that last night. I got it to run enough to get on the trailer and in the garage. So I'm probably just gonna out a new fuel pump in. But the fuel gauge was acting up bouncing all over the place.

I tried that last night. I got it to run enough to get on the trailer and in the garage. So I'm probably just gonna out a new fuel pump in. But the fuel gauge was acting up bouncing all over the place.
Check the ground (on both ends) going to the fuel pump and gauge.

Jaz sells a Jeepspeed fuel cell that fits in between the unibody rails in the "trunk".

You will just need an inline fuel pump, filter, and adjustable pressure regulator.

If your 96 has the stock pressure regulator on the fuel rail just feed it 60psi. If your stock reg was on the fuel pump assembly then just set your adjustable to match the factory pressure.

The 4.0 is not a difficult engine to build a proper fuel setup for.

Just look at all the Jeepspeed rigs. Everyone has to have a fuel cell to pass tech.

Just burn the POS to the ground.
Only thing that will be left will be the frame...
Ohhhh wait, never mind!

I have built a few xj rigs that have been beat on. Have had good luck with the rci 15gallon tank with a e2000 in line fuel pump with a pre filter.

Drop the stock tank. Cut the floor out in the rear and drop the stock tank down thru the hole. Then install a new fuel pump. This will gain you several extra inches of ground clearance and you won't have to deal with buying/installing a fuel cell.

Latest posts