• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Fuel Cells

Weezul

For a few years now I've just been running my stock TJ gas tank behind my front seats. I'm considering changing the cage up to be able to add a Corbeau bench seat and therefore I'd need a fuel cell. What's a good option? Wanting to keep it around 15 gallons if possible, no less than 10 gallons.

Do the RCI tanks still have the problem with cracking along the welds?

I had rci crack twice. Second time I was going to return and they said they would go back over welds and take care of shipping. Instead I had a buddy reweld it for me and never had anymore problems.

go motobilt.. my rci 2161a or whatever it is has been a headache.. welded it up a few times....

RCI sells a tank with a plastic liner specifically for off road. My aluminum one cracked a couple yrs ago like most everyone else's does. When I called for warranty I upgraded to their new one. Same size as the 2161.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200118-142315_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200118-142315_Chrome.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 234
I run a rci in my Toyota and haven't had any issues...well other than off camber hills the fuel sloshes away from the pick up...any ideas for fixing this other than keeping it full

The Motobilt 15 gallon looks nice. Would y'all recommend putting some rubber bushings on each bolt or just hard mount it to the floor?

The Motobilt 15 gal is made with 1/8 aluminum where most every other "budget" fuel cell is made from a lot thinner material. I have the Motobilt 15 gal behind the back seat in my yj. I made a frame out of angle iron to bolt to the body, I put a rubber mat in that then the fuel tank. And a couple of ratchet straps to hold it in the frame. I ran a grounding wire from the fill cap bolts to the chassis, thought it would help with any static.

honestly this day in age there is no reason to build around anything other than a bladder cell...and this is coming from someone who built around an aluminum cell the first time and its currently out and on the floor getting welded up. Mine is completely encased on all sides and edges in its mount and it still cracked from vibration

I dont care how well you brace it up, aluminum only is sub par to a bladder cell and there are so many budget bladder options....just go bladder and never look back

thats my opinion

honestly this day in age there is no reason to build around anything other than a bladder cell...and this is coming from someone who built around an aluminum cell the first time and its currently out and on the floor getting welded up. Mine is completely encased on all sides and edges in its mount and it still cracked from vibration

I dont care how well you brace it up, aluminum only is sub par to a bladder cell and there are so many budget bladder options....just go bladder and never look back

thats my opinion
What are some brands that you have had good luck with?

What are some brands that you have had good luck with?

I havent had a single issue out of any bladder cells. RCI, JAZ, and Summit brand are three that I have personally worked with and had nothing bad to say about either one. The benefit comes from the mounting not being a part of the actual bladder wall. The bladder doesnt see the stress and vibration that an aluminum cell will.

Last edited:
I've ran a JEGS circle track cell (basically private label JAZ or RCI?) for 8+ years. Only thing wrong is powder is peeling of the outer shell. Simple clean up and paint or re-powder and it's good as new.

me and the Wizzonator were actually talking about this last weekend, I believe the consensus was that we're going to pull mine, brace the inside up some and go from there.. hopefully we'll have some pics before too long

For a few years now I've just been running my stock TJ gas tank behind my front seats. I'm considering changing the cage up to be able to add a Corbeau bench seat and therefore I'd need a fuel cell. What's a good option? Wanting to keep it around 15 gallons if possible, no less than 10 gallons.

Do the RCI tanks still have the problem with cracking along the welds?
I haven't had any issues with my RCI. Been running it for 10+ years. The Motobuilt stuff looks like really high quality.

What can you do to fix the fuel splashing away from the fuel pickup other than keeping it completely full all the time?????
you can use baffles in the tank to mostly do that

they come in lots of options... foam, plastic, aluminum

foam - only use high quality stuff. NOT the stuff from summit. it will break down super quickly and clog up everything. even the best foam will still break down over time.
plastic - there are companies that make fuel baffles out of a specific kind of plastic that doesnt break down. youll fill the tank up with these (people used to use wiffle balls, but they will break down over time too unless made out of that very specific plastic) and it will stop the fuel slosh
aluminum - have some baffling and trap doors welded into your fuel cell

there is also the option of using something like holley hydramat, or even normal fuel pickups inside the tank as a fuel pickup

Latest posts